Anyone else think ....

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by MC_Paste, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

... the critique to the poems poets write, are a little bit too generous?

of course, I dont mean go in some thread and bash the living crap out of the poem but mention whats wrong with it .. that will help the poet more than just saying this was pretty good

dont get me wrong, there are some amazing poets here( in face I think PR has the ebst poets around) but people need to start giving construction criticism

anyone agree/disagree .. .have any comments
    test
  2. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

yea i agree for the most part, but i think the main issue with this is that people don't feel there is a realistic comparison with poetry and other forms of writing. Poetry is a way to express yourself, so if you critique what is being said in the poem you're really critiquing their opinion. But i think you're right as far as being too nice, critiquing structure, wording, all that is fine, but some people might feel it's not another person's place to say such and such in a person's poem is 'bad'.
    test
  3. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

I see what you mean but I want people in here yo help others be better poets
    test
  4. predicate

predicate New Member

I've had this argument before in one of my massive threads in this forum. I was even quoted in someone's sig for what I said about this exact topic. Hell if I remember what I said, though...
    test
  5. predicate

predicate New Member

"This isn't a place for people to improve. This is a support group, where everybody just pats each other on the back and give words of encouragement. -predicate on the poetry realm"

Yeah, that's what I said.
    test
  6. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

^ very true... I dont want people bitchin over other people's poems man.. .cuz I know alot of peopel write poetry as a form of self-therapy.. and no1 wants to get in the way on that... but people always say good things ... and you're really giving hte poet the impression that he doesnt need to improve his poetic skills... .

I mean if you read a Quotive of Brit Boi Gee poem, theres very little you can complain about ... but if there are some new poets around (not on PR but people who just strted writting poetry) .. help them.. .thats all I am saying
    test
  7. predicate

predicate New Member

On the contrary, reading a Brit Boi Gee poem gives you very much to complain about.
    test
  8. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

For the most part I agree. If my piece is garbage, please point out it's flaws and I can work on that area in my piece.....but if you're going to reply with this:

"It was shit. This was horrible."

Then what am I supposed to do? I can't do anything, because they didn't explain, so I cannot build off of that.

I do think that some people just give out generous replies because they don't want to be thought of as bashing the poet. But at the same time, alot of poets here catch feelings way too quick. Poetry is NOT about arguing, and name calling. Let's act civilized.....it's a message board. There should be no reason to kiss ass or be an ass to someone.......

God Bless
    test
  9. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

^my point exactly

I dont post on here to show off my poetry ... its to hear what people say about it... and how how I can be a better poet

howcome no1 else is voicing their opinions
    test
  10. ~Eloquent

~Eloquent Narcissistic....

well their isnt to much constructive criticsm,
    some people just reply real quick and not really read the poem just so that they can say they replied to somethin..
    i try to focus on the positives on each poem i reply to...
    but if i really dont like it ill tell them the truth...
    i try to focus on the positives hopin that they will read what i say and they build on it...

and i dont know why some of the "poets" seem so bitter,complaining about well no one ever gets trashed in the poetry realm...
    well maybe its just your not as above everyone else as you think,
    but if you hate so much what goes on in the realm then why do you come back?

im just sayin a select few people in here seem to have huge inflatable egos and they just want to try to down everyone else cuz they feel their own selves way too damn much,
    and Im Not talkin about you Paste...

its the ones constantly grumbling about how all of us suck,and how we shouldnt have battle leagues...

they know who im talkin about,
    then leave the site then,fuck like we care so much that you post here or somethin..

anyways as i was sayin,
    i try my best to give people somethin positive to build on,
    and the people that just try to tear you down when its obvious you didnt even read the poem,they arent helpin any more than the ones with the simple replies to your poems..
    test
  11. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

To be honest, there is not one poem (I have read here anyway) that I could say I don't like at all. Of course there is always room for improvement, but that doesn't mean the poem isn't good. I guess that would depend on your definition of it all, what's good, what's poetry. We all know what poetry is, but then again, to some it may depend. I like to come to the realm when I can and just read and of course voice my thoughts on it. I'm also with a writing group so I'm used to criticism, but that's beyond what this is about.
    Anyway, the only problem I'm seeing is people saying the same things over and over again in multiple threads, "great poem I'd quote a line but I'll be quoting the whole thing" I get that a lot, which leads me to wonder if they even read the poem at all.
    -Peace
    test
  12. I feel that a poet's journey is very much personal in the sense that it encapsulates all which they have been and are becoming; so to look over the 'content' of a poem with nothing in mind but to be judge and juror of it does not seem fruitful to me. Having said that, to comment on the 'form' may be said to be reasonable,since form is fixed, but, some may say that a form broken is a freedom and fortune found. What then? Poet's have made up their own rules, and their own words even which have in the past recieved both acclaim and criticism. I think we need to be careful when we set ourselves up as judge of a piece. A problem with criticism is that it can easily turn into a personal attack, for what else does a criticism say, but that it can be done better by the person in question viewing it? Maybe at times, the intent is not to make the writer feel this way, but it is indeed how it comes across to them. What is more harsh than setting foot on someones experience and visions of what their poem should contain and say that the author did not capture it correctly? What good can come of a poets development if they feel restricted by the comments of others? A poet may after recieving a harsh criticism, stop writing or lose an unhinged style that was truly their own voice; they may abandon the sense of their imagination and thoughts instead of striking an individual chord, or even set their passion below those who will judge it. They may begin to question their beliefs in what they should write and adjust accordingly so not to make the so-called mistake again. I think, by all means give encouragement where you beleive it is due, but show some care when approaching others about their work especially if you are going to try and show them what would make the piece better. It is much better for everyone concerned if you approach a piece with an awareness of understanding of its personal nature to develop and become world maybe differently in them than from you-- if it were any different, there would not be so many different attacks and defences on what makes a good poem.
    test
  13. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

I Think I learned something - people are never gonna give sontructive criticism here becuase they want none either... they just dont want people talking "bad"about their poem.. just get 15 different people to say I love your poem and move on...

comment on the structure of the poem to see if it worked and how it could've worked better if he changed a few things around

comment on how the poet conveyed the feelings.. whethere you related to it.. share personal experiences

basically, dont mean I could've done this better than you but say how changing litlte things around could have made this a better poem...

but I dont think its ever going to happen ... so i am just going to stop
    test
  14. Catch TWENTY 2

Catch TWENTY 2 Poet Extrodinaire

I'm one of the ones who think that there is no such thing as bad poetry. I don't tell people to change their poem or how to work their poem because I don't want them to think I'm trying to alter their style. Maybe if it was a friend or something but alot of people on here are so up tight that I'd rather just tell them that I can't relate to the entire poem but point out some lines that I thought stood out. Me myself could careless how you view my poem. I'm open to all comments(good or bad), suggestions, pointers, whatever. But to answer your question, yes, I think people are too nice and I am one of those people.
    test
  15. ~Eloquent

there should be more appreciation shown to the people that really do give in depth critiques...
    maybe thats why it dont happen to often anymore,cuz cats will show all types of love to people and then they will be very badly slept on in return...

anyways like i said before i would rather focus on the positives of the poem, cuz i also think that theirs no such thing as bad poetry..

if i really cant get into a poem though,i usually just wont reply.
    test
  16. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

I agree that it is good to point out flaws but it is also nice to recieve words of wisdom persay. But it makes you feel better nd you want to right more when you recieve a good responce.
    test
  17. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

I think reading poetry and giving the feedback makes you a better poet in the long run...from what I've notice so far is that spilling my thoughts with constructive criticism helps me discover something new in myself and my own style...we all are here trying to improve and build our skill....need to have a balance of writing and reading....I just wish more poets would spend a lil extra time on the feedback...I mean we are all POETS...we have this talent with words....should be shameful to leave a reply just saying "good...tight poem I felt it....bye"???...how did that solve anything?...hahahaha....just my 7 cents

PEACE AND GODBLESS
    test
  18. Blessense

Blessense a Kilo is 1,000 grams..

agreed

too many sycophants afraid, or unable to determine good from bad material..
    test
  19. ~Eloquent

i know mad poems get slept on...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.