Anybody else impressed by Rousimar Palhares?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by ANDtheMC, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

yeah i dont know if palhares would be able to take down anderson before eating a couple. anderson is a master on the feet and at keeping his distance. i think maia is one of the best contenders right now, palhares imo has a very small chance.
    test
  2. a la Allah

a la Allah Katie Effoh

Something we can all agree on, this was cool:

[​IMG]
    test
  3. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I gotta disagree with you on stand up being as crucial as u claim. Palhares is on thee highest level of ground game u can basically be on.

When you're that good on the ground, if u are good w/ takedowns, u'll be ok. Again... let's look at some of our champs right now. Brock Lesnar doesn't have great stand up. He's dominating on the ground and very strong and athletic. He just won a title.

Nogueira's stand up has never been amazing. His jui-jitsu isn't even on the level of Maia or Palhares. He was just the interim champ. Frank Mir? Yeahhhh... Randy Couture... yeah....

Sorry but when it really comes down to it (just like Kenny Florian said) every fighter has a weakness. It really just becomes how good are your strengths to expose someone else's weakness....

Anderson Silva's weakness is takedown defense and his ground game is knotches below Palhares's. If Palhares (who's extremely good w/ takedowns) got Silva down, he could very well submit him. I'm not saying it's guaranteed but no fight is guaranteed for anybody.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Match Brock with someone equal to him in size and wrestling skills whos has better stand up and brock wont be so dominating.

just like palhares... youre right about exposing weaknesses, but that said, you still cant say stand up skills arent important, its half the game. MMA isnt all about wrestling and Jiu-jitsu.
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Again, jiu-jitsu and ground work is more important in an average fight. I'm sorry but ground work is so much more important. It's been proven in the past. There's been fighters with limited stand up skills w/ great wrestling that have been successful. There's been few that couldn't at least hold their own on the ground or avoid it from getting there that have been successful.

And there are VERY few in the middleweight division that can deal w/ Palhares's strength and explossiveness. We will see in the upcoming year. He's really gonna make a name for himself. Watch....
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

if someone could avoid the takedown against palhares who also had great stand up palhares would lose.

Palhares isnt a full-rounded fighter.
    test
  7. Ben Official

any one trick pony will meet his match when fighting a more complete fighter sooner or later, plain and simple. this isnt 93 anymore. you need to know everything to be completely successful in mma.

yes lets look at the champs right now.

lightweight- bj penn- completely well rounded. amazing ground, the best hands i've ever seen on a grappler. great boxing.

welterweight- gsp. do i even need to say? completely well rounded, great grappling great striking.

middleweight- anderson silva- best striking in mma, solid on the ground, not great but an average black belt level. can hold his own against people like hendo, lutter, etc.

light heavyweight- rashad evans- another complete fighter. great striking, sweet wrestling. great on the ground and on the feet.

heavyweight we all know is kind of a mess in the ufc. however brock- knocked couture down standing (did i hear you imply coutures stand up isnt that good?). just a fucking beast. his strength allows him to give anyone trouble on the ground or standing. not to mention his wrestling is very very good.
    mir- great on the ground and has shown in the last fight he has greatly grealy improved stand up. no question about that.

i dont see a single one trick pony on the list i just gave. if you call silva a one trick pony your retarded. toquinho is a one trick pony and hes doing good now but he will get exposed sooner or later and he will lose if he doesn't greatly improve his stand up. hes good, but he needs to be way better if he wants to continue to win fights. otherwise he'll face a good wrestler with good take down defense and great striking and he will lose. i know your a huge toquinho fan but you can't say he wont lose if he doesn't improve his striking.

its so retarded to say you can still be successful and still not be a good striker as long as you have good bjj and good take downs. thats dumb. it will win you fights, some fights, but theres no way one could make a career out of it and make and maintain the title.

jacare needs to improve his striking although hes sick as fuck on the ground and take downs, maia needs to improve his striking a bit although its come a long way, marcelinho needs to improve his stand up a ton if he wants a legit shot. believe me, you wont find many bigger jacare, marcelinho, or maia fans than me. but im being realistic. they all need to improve their striking if they want to continue to win in the future and be able to fight anyone. im just being realistic.

thats just how it is. you cant possibly argue that a one trick pony can make a successful career now adays in mma. yes, in the early 90s royce dominated everyone showing the importance of bjj. but that was when EVERYONE was a one trick pony. almost nobody knew more than one fighting style. nowadays its a different story.

and the age old grappler vs striker debate still continues, but when it really comes down to it, we have seen in modern days that it more or less depends on the fighter, not the style, when it comes down to a great grappler vs a great striker. there have been times when the grappler submitted the striker, there have been times when the striker knocked out the grappler. thats just how it is.

if you want to argue whats more important in general, sure i agree its the ground game. but you can't argue that you ONLY need good ground game and good take downs to be successful in mma. come on now thats just dumb.

i know you love toquinho, and i do too, but be realistic.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

i never said u don't need stand up. obviously u need some. i disagree couture's stand up is great. his strength is the dirty boxing, wearing opponents down, and ground and pounding 'em. his stand up is solid...

and i didn't say toquinho could be everyone... did i not just say he'd have a much harder chance against Franklin than Silva? Obviously if u have good stand up and good takedown defense, it's going to be hard. But Palhares has elite takedowns and elite BJJ. That is a lethal combo because if he takes u down, there is a high risk of being submitted. As high of a risk as you'll have against any opponent. And everyone talks about Lesnar's strength advantage giving him such an advantage. THERE ARE VERY FEW FIGHTERS IN THE MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION THAT WILL OUTMUSCLE ROUSIMAR. and he has the techniques and takedowns.

My point is, IT IS EXTREMELY REALISTIC that Palhares could beat Anderson. Travis Lutter got Silva to the ground and if he wasn't so dehydrated and weak from bad weight cutting, he would've tapped 'em. That was the sloppiest most tired arm bar attempt I've seen from the mount. And Silva was practically giving it to 'em by extending both arms out to block punches. All he had to do was S mount, turn, grab, the arm 'n it woulda been a wrap. PALHARES'S JUI-JITSU IS LEVELS ABOVE LUTTERS. c'mon man... be serious.... And his takedowns are better also.

If Palhares fought Anderson today, I'd have to go with Rousimar. Not because i think he's the best fighter... But cuz his dominating strengths (not physical) are Anderson's weakness.... And he would take Anderson to the ground... Takedown defense has never been anything close to a strength for Silva.... Be real....
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  9. Ben Official

i'm not going to argue who would win or who wouldn't win, but ill tell you your probably one of only a handful of people that give toquinho the advantage going into fight anderson. honnestly i probably like toquinho more than silva but i'd put my money on silva.

i find myself disagreeing with almost everything you say lol, im not going to argue on this one, i made my point i said all i have to say
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

hahaha... true

But u can't tell me I'm wrong about Lutter. Do u think Rousimar would've really let Anderson survive that? And i know u know Toquinho has better takedowns than Anderson. And i know u know Anderson's takedown defense has been questioned numerous times.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.