Another Sample to flip.(just 1)

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by HYPNOTIK, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

yeah man do it up
    test
  2. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

and if you want to be generous and support the cause you can paste this link in your signature

[b*][size=4*][*url=http://www.soundclick.com/members/rapmusic+producers]Rapmusic Producers @ Soundclick[/url][/size][/b]

and word @ how you made that breakdown. what program did you use?
    test
  3. Fonikz

i use fruityloops 9...edison and the fruity slicer

one of my boys gonna hook me up with reason soon, tryna fuck with that a lil see what i can do with it.. also got ableton live 8, still tryna figure that out ..
    test
  4. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

I used Ableton to make my beat

I could probably teach you a thing or two about it, I've been using it exclusively for 3 years now
    test
  5. Fonikz

no shit, yeah man thatd be dope..

i open the program and im completely baffled when i look at it lol

so used to fruityloops been using it since v3.4

aim: fon1kz

hit me up if anything
    test
  6. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

im about to flip this just to shit on u guys lol wa waaa 3/4 i dont kno how to work in any time signature but 4/4 cuz im a shitty musician waaaa
    test
  7. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

please do
    test
  8. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

lol im jus pokin fun, but ill give it a go, i've done 3/4 and 6/8 a bunch of times, it's fun to spit to too.
    test
  9. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

I want to hear what you come up with, everybody has come up with some good shit so far
    test
  10. Blackanese

Blackanese BlackaneseCantRap.com

i use a two pens and a desk
    test
  11. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

I think I've finished mine. hold up.

[youtube]e582oCls8Bw[/youtube]
    test
  12. Blackanese

Blackanese BlackaneseCantRap.com

^nislanif u aint never get at me homie
    test
  13. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Para que?
    test
  14. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

bassline is a bit shitty in this. but other than that, this is so far ahead of that atrocity of a jezzebel flip, just off the fact you didnt pitch bend everything out of key, and the drums are decent this time. your hi hats are a bit much..too many tamborines and ride's rather than actual hi hats, but, way better than your other ones.

around 1 min it gets to be a lil too much. up until that its decent though. this is the right track. go from here. do not ever do wat u did with jezebel again. not until you learn how to distinguish chords and pitches.
    test
  15. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

he didnt really add a bass, he just filtered the sample a lil bit from what i hear.

and yea, its better then the jezebel beat.
    test
  16. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

yea, he filtered it to get the bass sample, then cut an chopped the notes to make a bassline. except, it was filtered bad, and it was too basic and stale. the bass i used in jezzebel was from the sample, theres def a way to do it without it sounding noticeable.
    test
  17. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

test
  18. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Yeah, I can't hear it at ALL when i do it. I know HOW to do it, but I can only do it on my computer, which can't process bass, so it just sounds like a tingy sound. I'm doing it while simply guessing that it's gonna be okay. Once I get it in the iphone, I can hear it, I just didn't go back and change it. I can get it right, but...seriously...why?
    test
  19. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

youre asking me why to do a bassline right?

why bother having the melody or drums right either then? might as well go back to the jezebel beat if thats how your approaching music production.

i dont see how your iphone has better bass response than your home computer setup either. phones probably have the shittiest bass, even with headphones, than any other device.

but if you are interested in learning to fix what you did. you need to go back and re-EQ the sample to get the bass.. but this time get more of the hi end out, and throw the low end up more..but dont make it peak.. then compress it a bit, then chop it into notes. and when you make a bassline...realize, it needs to compliment the melody and drums, yes, but it is still it's own instrument. in hip hop (now at least) people like to believe having 2 bass notes, and going boom boom boom booooom is a bassline. while it is, it's a shitty one. peep how i did the bass to my flip of jezebel. not saying its the greatest either, but it's its own instrument, with notes, and just as much of a part of the beat as anything else, while still being able to exist by itself.
    test
  20. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

No, I was saying I could fix it but why bother? I was sure this entire beat was trash to begin with, but by some miracle, people think it's MY best one. I started using intua beatmaker before the pitch shift on the fly function was introduced, meaning there was no way for me to make ANY kind of basslines. Once the last update came about and I was able to make one? It took me from a 2 to a 10. So yes, I'm full aware of how important a bassline is to making music. Keep in mind: i'm new to electronic production, I'm by no means new to mixing or music.
    Already did that.
    D'OH!
    how bout a lot?
    No. I find whatever note is long enough and make THAT into a bass pass, then I use that to "play" the bassline in the tone section. I'mma take a pic of it and show you in a second how it works.
    Now see? this is why I like THIS forum. We like to help each other here.

Let me tell you where I went wrong before I just fixed it:

1. Forgot to compress.
    2. I'm using Acid Pro. Don't know if you're hip to that DAW, but what had happened was I used the track EQ and the Dynamic EQ in that order, but yes, I didn't get enough of the midrange out. Also, the instrument that I used to make the bass was a strange synthy sound to begin with with a snare roll in it. I guess some of it bled through.

What did I just do to fix it:

Basically, I did what I usually do, which is what you said. It's a trick I figured out on my own, with a slight assist from the one and only Patrick Ghetalion Ryan.

**skip this if you want to save five minutes of your life, it's a bit of a long but good story featuring famed producer Dibia$e from Alpha Pup Records.**

I have a song called "They Don't Move Me". Back in the day, when Dibiase was Mr. Diabolic, he had this beat he'd play at Project Blowed a lot, and it would start a veritable street party every time. I ran up and handed him a hunnid on it, bought the beat. Used a dope marvin gay sample. Here it is here: They Don't Move Me | BlackSoultan Shout out to DumbFoundead for the Bandcamp idea.

Anyway, when i went to get the beat, dude gave me the stereo two-track. I said 'we need to track this out' and I didn't know what that entailed back then. Whole beat made on the mpc 2000xl. So we go to Project Blowed studios, the homie Pterradacto was engineering a session for Aceyalone. THERE WAS NO WAY we were gettin' in there. So we had to go to Ghetalion's apartment to do it. (I wasn't finna pay and waste studio time just to track out this beat). Ghet loads cubase up. He tracks it all out. Even improves it a bit! The build up to the hook? That's Ghet. Though, he didn't quite understand that standard Dibiase "swing", so he took it out and lined up the drums "right". *shrug* I like it. But there was no bassline! Just like you said.

**start reading from here if you checked out at the beginning of my story**

So the beat was basically the Marvin Gaye sample chops with the high end cut down (mind you, none of the low end was turnt up). So it wasn't like dude took a bass sound or series of sounds and made his own unique bassline, he just take the bass as it was in the sample chop loop, and cut the high and midrange. But there was a shitload of bleed. Essentially, there was no bassline. If you played it on his sub that he had in his jeep at the time, then by all means. Shit KNOCKED! S. Central was in the park at 2 am partyin to it: crack heads, killers, crips and a random strange poplockin' lawyer, all hand in hand jammin! But on reference speakers, nope. Ghet was very particular about that. Like I always said, Ghetalion hears NUMBERS. He's one of those engineers. He need to become a mastering engineer, while he bullshittin'. Leave this coding shit alone.

So while I'm on what looks like one of these in the studio, trying to recreate the bassline, ghet - who insists on never using a musical keyboard to make ANYTHING - goes into the tracked out session in the pro-tools mix he set up.

that's when I learned that cutting the high and midrange and then turning it all up is not the same as ALSO turning up the low end, and that side chaining (is that the right term?) with a second eq is a the best way to do it.

So that's what I did.

I'mma make a new thread about basslines. This is too long for just one reply, and I got a lot of questions.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.