Ankle weights? Wrist weights?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Fatal is back, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatal is back

Fatal is back New Member

Has anybody used em with success? What is the purpose of them?
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

no, i think theres way better stuff to use than ankle and wrist weights if you want to add resistance to whatever you are doing.

the purpose is to add resistance like i just mentioned. for example some people do box jumps in ankle weights to add resistance if they want to learn to jump higher, and use wrist weights to throw punches to add resistance so they learn to punch faster.
    test
  3. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

personally i like shadow boxing with wrist weights, it's gotten my punching speed relatively faster...

I've also done a lot of iso work to strenthen my knee using ankle weights.
    test
  4. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

i used to goto work with 5lb ankle weights on. i serve tables so I was always on the move...i didnt really notice any muscle gain or anything from doing it, i know that when i stopped wearing them I was power walking everywhere on accident cuz I was so used to the added weight on my legs..but as far as any gains....I dont think so...
    test
  5. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

it all depends to where you're at really...if you've already got really strong legs you're obviously not going to see gains in strength from wearing them, but your body will react differently when you don't have added weight...though that depends on your body size as well...like 2.5 lbs on me would probably have me see absolutely no difference around my ankles...wrists is a different story.
    test
  6. Fatal is back

Fatal is back New Member

ok thanks ya'll. i think i'll pass on buying them
    test
  7. dank_smoka

dank_smoka DC REBEL

test
  8. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

use neither, ever.
    test
  9. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

don't run with ankle weights. it'll fuck up your knees in the longrun. they are meant for dumb aerobic exercises.
    test
  10. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

I remember I did a hard workout with this POS bowflex type machine at my apartment complex once then ran home with ankle weights during the florida summer of about 102 degrees.....the run was like 100 yards...lol
    for the first time in my life I literally thought my lungs were going to collapse and I was gonna blackout and die...ankle weights can kiss my ass and so can cardio
    test
  11. Fatal is back

Fatal is back New Member

i was gonna use em to tighten my thighs lol but fuck that shit. ^^^ lmao
    test
  12. rocker314

rocker314 Rock Star

wrist weights i think.
    test
  13. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I like to practice kicks with ankle weights or sometimes a more ghetto version. Punches I usually just go with dumbells.
    test
  14. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Not only faster, but harder and with more snap.

You train with resistance like that, and your body grows accustomed to adding that extra "umph." Combine that with good form, and it makes for some good striking.
    test
  15. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

it would probably be a better idea to wear a weighted vest for pylometric stuff like box jumps or running...

ankle weights could be used for hanging leg raises to add resistance...
    test
  16. P.A.T.trueGrit

P.A.T.trueGrit Man on a Mission

For increasing limb quickness you can use isometric training bands like those found on athleticquickness.com I've been using them for years and they work.

Also I've found for MMA running shuttle run 4-5 shuttle run sprints consisting of 6 30 yard sprints back and forth with a 2 or 3 minute rest period is great for quickness and agility. I train muay thai I know it's helped me.
    test
  17. WarMachine

WarMachine The Legend.

I use them for hill running when i'm in training for my fights because they incresase my explosive power, training in 2kg ones and taking them off afterwards you feel lighter than air, because i'm a welterweight and i'm sharp i use wrist weights to make my fast punches heavy hopefully doing more damage to my opponent.
    test
  18. 3ternal

3ternal Stay hungry my friend.

Ankle weights mess up your knees. I suppose wrist weights would be fine maybe running. If you want some weights in that sense, buy a vest.
    test
  19. Souled In

Souled In New Member

With ankle and wrist weights, I think the benefit is in the slowing down motion at the end of the punch or jump.

Because it wouldn't help recruit more muscle fibers or fast twitch fibers.

But depth jumps for example have shown much benefit, so adding weight, would kind of be like adding height to a depth jump.

I suppose it could be the same story for the punches, but I think Bruce Lee held his arm out isometrically, and didn't actually punch with the weight, but I could be wrong.
    test
  20. -Scavenger Pro-

-Scavenger Pro- New Member

I dont think theyd be suitable for resistance training, bars/dumbells are far more effective. I suppose one good use would be to strap them on and go for a run or do some other cardio and it could make it a harder workout and also work some muscles at the same time.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.