Anime (In The Midst Of)

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Pyro Tecknik, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

They way i'm rating them is on a scale of 1-5. I've added a plus or minus to show whether it was on a rise or decline and can serve as the lasting impression that i've gotten from the overall series.

I'll update periodically.

One Piece: 5+/5 - Simply put, my favorite anime right now...it just went over Naruto... Believe it.
    I'm currently around ep. 180 which is the beginning of the end of the 3rd major arc(which so far have ended with epic fights across the board). I just burned though almost 200 episodes while everything else in this list has remained relatively untouched.
    The main cast of characters are incredible... Zoro/Luffy/Usopp/Chopper/Sanji/Nami>>>>>>. Heart, action, stupid humor, some of the best character development I've seen so far...this show is just fucking epic.
    Arlong Pirates arc was the first major arc, which still ranks as the highest in the series for me so far, though i'm told the end of 3rd season's Skypiea arc is just as good. the 2nd major arc, Alabasta Kingdom, which was somewhat of a tear jerker at the end was also great with the introduction of several well developed characters...kind of sucks that some of them have been left behind.
    Apparently this series hasn't faltered despite it's long run and has only gotten better with every year/season that goes by.
    Some of you know I don't care for amv's but this is one piece properly condensed and accompanied with music. You niggas need to stop putting it off because of the animation or weak/corny beginning.
    [youtube]IvICJxrwstk&[/youtube]
    Watching that makes me want to go through 320 some episodes to catch up to the most recent and go on in the manga.

Naruto Shippuden: 4.5+/5 -Granted, I'm really behind on this...on the asuma/hiden fight in the anime and just after the pain ordeal/brink of war in the manga.
    That said, it's still a favorite. I think I could just be waiting to be able to rent on disc...i'm just not a fan of low quality streaming fansubs.
    It may be one of the longest running series with no end in sight, but watching/reading through from the beginning is well worth it, as most of you already know.
    I'd seen dragon ball z like the rest of you growing up, but it wasn't until Naruto came out that I completely delved into the genre head first.

Bleach: 4-/5 - You niggas know the deal with this. Great up until the end of the Aizen/Ichigo/Vizard/Espada/Soul Society...kind of where I stopped watching, but I hear it's getting good again.
    For anyone just starting on anime, I would still recommend this...you've a long road ahead of you though.
    Still, some of the most epic fights in all of anime.

Mushi Shi: 4.5+/5
    - It's a fantasy drama you'd mistake for a Miyazaki film, visually speaking. So far the stories have only been an episode long each, but they're very well put together. Protagonist is a Mushi Master named Ginko traveling throughout Japan encountering mushi related cases...mushi being otherworldly entities that only few can see and are afflicted by. Given the slow pace, I was surprisingly drawn in to every episode...They could have easily done a short series on each of these separate storylines or spread it out over several episodes as I found myself anticipating, the stories are very memorable and leave you thinking about them well after the episode is over with. Definitely one of the best animes I've seen.

Full Metal Alchemist : 3.5/5
    - This is still only just above average for me. High production values, decent likable characters and even intriguing main story...3/4ths of the way through and yet something is still missing. I know most of you will disagree, having seen you praise this as one of your favs. It just hasn't done anything for me. I got to the part where one of the few characters that I liked was merked and things obviously picked up, but this late in the series...I have a feeling I'm just going to feel pretty neutral about it when it comes to an end. Perhaps the Brotherhood series might resonate with me more. Hopefully.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 3.5/5
    - Decided to give this a second shot and I'm glad I did. 3 episodes(I checked where I actually left off) wasn't enough to give it a fair critique. It finally became interesting with a set plot/storyline.
    So far better than average...I watched the GitS movies, but they never really struck a chord with me like it did with anyone hailing it a classic of any kind.

Morbito: 4.5+/5
    - An incredibly skilled female warrior has been given the task of protecting a young prince from would-be assassins sent out by his father in order to quell the rumors that he is possessed. Very well done, highly produced anime. I'm someone who enjoys the subtleties of an underlying story as much as the fast paced fighting scenes. So others might find this a bit slow for their liking. There are few fights, albeit memorable and some of the best i've seen in any sword-fighting series or movies. I'm almost to the end, and as it stands, this is easily one of the better animes I've seen so far.

Mezzo: 3/5
    - I'd suggest you first watch the anime movie Mezzo Forte...which was obviously better than this series, but it's still enjoyable. The story revolves around 3 main characters that are part of a merc-like agency. impossibly strong and agile bitch(who i suspect is an android, but i don't think it was ever said that she was) who basically get's shit done or people killed. the movie was heavy with the hentai(unless you watch the edited version) and this series thankfully only just has hints of it.

Blood+: 3.5+/5
    - Amnesiac girl that is somehow the only being able to destroy blood-sucking demons that are increasingly becoming a threat to society. She continually regains old memories(which put her several hundred years old) as the story progresses. Series has it's ups and downs, but overall a good series...i'm coming up on the end and it's looking promising.
    test
  2. Pyro Tecknik

Cont.

I'll add and break these more into detail when I find the time/watch more than the first few eps.

Soul Eater: 3.5+/5 - opening fighting scene hooked me and the plot/stroy is keeping me going so far hoping for more fighting like that.

Kaze No Yojimbo: 3.5/5
    - very loose modern adaptation of kurosawa's yojimbo.

Martian Successor Nadesico: 3/5
    - fairly old, but decent so far

Heroic Age: 3/5
    Interesting plot. Humanity's hope for survival lie in a human boy on another planet

Black Butler: 3/5 - picked up a bit from the first 2 episodes. It's starting to become somewhat of a pet peeve with these heavily british royalty/nobility inspired animes. servants/soldiers/personal guards making a grand show of saying, "YES.....MY LORD." fuck off.

Heat Guy J: 3/5
    - same as bb with the borrowed italian crime family setting. That aside, a pretty good series.

Tsukikage Ran: 4+/5
    - Best anime that i've started...older mid-late 90's, but it's well done.

Baki the grappler 3.5/5
    - good fighing anime. cliche and it's no hajime no ippo, but it's good.

Eden of the East 3.5+/5
    - short and very good. not done with it but i think it's just a 2-3 disc series.

Casshern Sins: 3.5+ (edit) first disc done. Good shit. Odd and a bit somber, but good. Don't really know what is happening other than the end of the world known as 'The Ruin'... a bit slow, but the action is adequate and so far it's intriguing.

RahXephon: 3/5
    - an odd first ep, but ok...seems your typical boy in big mechanical/organic robot/being to stave off alien invaders...almost like a parody of evangelion

Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: 3/5
    - didn't know it was a cgi anime...not a fan of them, but this one is not that bad, actually.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2: 3.5/5 - seems a better start than the first one.

Bubblegum Crisis: 2.5/5
    - old and outdated as hell. but plot /story aren't bad so i'm sticking to it for now.

S-CRY-ed: 3/5 - decent, but nothing special. part of the population has been endowed with powers due to some catastrophe which occurred around japan. they are persecuted by the rest of the normies.

When They Cry: 3/5 - relatively violent, horror/suspensful/weird as fuck.

Genshiken: 4/5
    - college activity club of Otakus and their daily lives. Surprisingly engrossing, slice-of-life, character driven anime.

Sgt. Frog: 4/5
    - stupid, funny anime about space frogs plotting to take over the world. word. kerokero.

Gundam SEED: 4/5
    The first of the modern(2000) gundam animes. considered a classic, which i probably should have started with myself.

Vampire Knight: 3/5
    - I think i got this from one of you here. it's ok so far.

Inu Yasha: 4/5
    - used to watch the random episode of this on cartoon network every once in a while like everyone else back in the day...about to start from the beginning.
    test
  3. Pyro Tecknik

saving for later use.
    test
  4. Pyro Tecknik

test
  5. Pyro Tecknik

just in case.
    test
  6. NOBLE SOLDIER

NOBLE SOLDIER Fireball Kid

i've never watched any of the gundam series.. u think i should go back and start with the old school ones or just start with the modern versions.. like seed..
    test
  7. Pyro Tecknik

Maybe one or two of the mid 90's one's i've listed if you really want to, but not really necessary.

you definitely don't need to go back with the original series' from 30 years ago. I haven't.

You can start off with Gundam Seed(2000) and not have to go back any further.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.