Anime (Completed)

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Pyro Tecknik, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

They way i'm rating them is on a scale of 1-5. I've added a plus or minus to show whether it was on a rise or decline and can serve as the lasting impression that i've gotten from the overall series.
    I'll probably alphabetize later.

I'll update periodically.

- American anime/cartoon. Main plot is above average, the downside being the filler episodes...which thankfully aren't filler arcs. It's obviously targeted more for a younger audience, but it's still enjoyable enough for anyone.
    Finished the first season and my interest in the series waned a bit. Still a good story, but it hasn't really picked up much and nothing really that interesting has happened since the first episode.
    It's something to watch with your kids.
    I'd still be willing to start the 2nd season, just not in a hurry.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam: 1-/5 - Don't bother. Corny and outdated even for it's time. Shit premise/main story and even worse characters.

Gundam: The 08th MS Team: 3/5
    - Despite the dated animation (released in 96), this is still a decent anime.
    If you're familiar with the Gundam series, it's set in the "Year One" war(what started it all, I believe), towards the end of the conflict from the perspective of the 08th Squad...which is just regular soldiers doing simple recon missions, search and rescue..etc. with an underlying love story between 2 members of each faction(The Federation and Zeon). It's nothing that special, but I'd still recommend it if you were to start watching the Gundam series.

Black Lagoon: 4.5+/5 - Great. Revy is a gully ass bitch. Odd group of mercs doing business in southeast asia. Good story, action and occasional humor.

Black Lagoon: 2nd Barrage: 4.5+/5 -Much of the same^...a 3rd season soon to come out i believe.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad: 4+/5
    - It's a rock band anime...i didn't expect much from it, but it was surprisingly good. Songs they play are actually catchy, i've dled the sountrack. story is great, but simple. group of kids forming a band trying to make it big while getting over band-breaking hurdles.

Basilisk: 4/5
    - Fight to the death between two warring ninja clans...Word. This is what the Ninja Scroll series should have been like, but unfortunately, it wasn't. Heads of warring clans are in love and betrothed to each other by the elders of each clan to bring peace between the two clans, but obviously that's not going to happen if we're to have an awesome action packed series, amirite?

Gurren Lagann: 4.5/5 - 27 episodes, so the story moves real quick.
    After the first couple episodes, I wasn't really impressed...almost stopped watching it, but then it picks up and changes completely. several times actually. as soon as you think it's settled into the current setting/plot to go from, it flips again.
    It's set in the future, mankind has been reduced to living underground for centuries. a pair of opposites decide to break towards the surface after finding a drilling robot, with the heavens as their goal. halfway through the first season i was left like :eek:...and basically hooked me in for good.
    Very solid series with an actual ending.

Shigurui Death Frenzy: 4.5-/5
    - Would be 5 out of 5 if it were actually a complete series. It starts out with a duel, you're not explained anything...but you get the feeling these two swordsmen that have been paired to fight to the death have a history, and some history they have as you come to find out, but you're left to wonder what the fuck is going on, until it becomes obvious that the anime has suddenly gone back to tell in great detail the story behind each swordsman..Starts out slow and stays a slow moving series, albeit engaging. Then as soon as the stories are coming to an end and nearing the actual fight(from the beginning of the anime), it stops...just like that. You'd have to read on in the manga to get any closure, but the anime itself is fucking amazing up until that.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: 3.5+/5
    - Probably one of the few animes you guys know more about than i do. I enjoyed the first season enough to have the next one in my queue. It's good, suspenseful, and the main characters are relatively well developed. ultimately, not a series i'm as big a fan of as most of you are, but to be fair, it could be because the series has been spoiled for me, by one of you nigs without a spoiler alert. regardless, my impression of the show was already made by then...and that ending. whathefuck?

Ergo Proxy: 3.5/5 -A dark post-apocalyptic future where humanity lives on in do(o)med cities with androids as servants. there's a mysterious and elusive demon/monster on the loose that starts wrecking shit. that's the initial feel/plot/glimpse into the anime as it starts, but it gets more complex( maybe too complex for it's own good). You're either going to love this or hate it...I'm one of the few that fell somewhere in between. Compared with the first episode, the series as a whole is a huge disappointment...if the quality remained the same after the first ep. this anime would be top 5 of all time. However, it takes a different path, which i didn't dislike, but i realized it just fell from my top 20 and it was going to just be a decent, dark slow moving anime that will rely on your imagination to fill in the gaps. Watch at your own discretion.

The Gokusen - 2.5/5
    - A bit odd. the new head of a Japanese Clan, The Yazuka(which acts out more like an Italian Crime family), is a young woman who accepts this role, though she has always wanted to be a school teacher...which she already is secretly. It's decent if you're really bored and have absolutely nothing else to watch, but i wouldn't readily recommend it with so many more better animes out there. You can pretty much pass on this.
    test
  2. Pyro Tecknik

Shura no Toki: 3/5 - Pretty good. An undefeated Legendary clan of martial artists that kill only with their hands known as the Mutsu is at the center of the story. It has an ending, which is saying something. The series revolves around a single member of the Mutsu clan at a time, but different from the original protagonist(who are his descendants) and their influence on certain key historical figures in japanese history as time goes on in the series, which was interesting. This is a time killer.

Samurai Deeper Kyo: 2.5-/5 - (edit) Weak. The action is just ok. series as a whole seems contrived and by the end i didn't care what happened, i just wanted it to end. Some of you might like it. started out promising, but it took a turn for the boring to me.

Hellsing Ultimate: 3/5 - Meh. I prefer the original series, which is a classic to me, despite this being advertised as the one closer to the manga. Compared to the original anime, this just seems forced, hurried, and the action/ fights lackluster despite the obvious attempts to wow you. I'm sure I'm pretty much alone on this...but I know what I know. It does have a few really good scenes, but not enough to save the series for me so far. I know I'm being unfair, because I'm comparing it to the first series and not just rating this for what it is and as a separate project altogether, but I can't deny my impression of it. If you haven't seen the original hellsing, this will probably be a very good and worthwhile anime.

Tokyo Majin: 1-/5
    - I didn't have the patience for this. I got to the 2nd or 3rd episode and was still wondering wtf this was about and who anyone was. no discernible plot/story, no character development...just an empty vacuous anime. it probably gets better later on, but I didn't care to find out. anyone end up seeing this long enough to get past the stale beginning let me know.

Akira 4.0/5- everyone should watch this at least once. The beginning of it all...as far as reviving a dying genre for good. Unless you have a firm grasp of the anime at the time( i don't, but I'm starting to get an idea having a few late 80's early 90's titles on my list and which i've recently started), you won't be too impressed with this, because you won't know how ahead of it's time this was. However, even without that in mind, it's still solid on it's own. There is a reason why this still ranks today.

Samurai X 5+/5 - Probably my favorite. Bought this immediately after watching it...only anime i actually own. it's a set of 4 films; 1.Trust, 2.Betrayal, 3.The Motion Picture(this is a movie on the Rurouni Kenshin series...i watched this before the series, so you'll be fine), 4. Reflection
    This is the zenith of anime films to me. The 3rd disc is completely different to the others in tone, animation and style, being that it's based on the series...but it works to fill in the center chunk of his life as a Wandering Samurai. You can later go in depth on this part by watching the series. The ending on this, as I later found out was not the same as the one in the manga, but still very good and touching as an alternate ending to the character...shit broke my heart.
    I first watched this years ago when i first got into anime, so naturally I was blown away by it. were I to watch it for the first time now, i probably wouldn't rank it as high, but i'll let nostalgia have it's hold on me this time.

Hajime no Ippo/ Fighting Spirit: 5+/5 Boxing anime...i had known about it for a while, but never gave it a chance, because of how outdated the animation looks, but I've since come to learn what I can miss out on by judging an anime solely by it's animation. It's one of the best I've ever seen. The heart in this is incredible, the fights amazing, the humor superb and stupid.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: 4-/5
    when the series ends, it doesn't actually end the story, so you'll have to watch the movie, The End of Evangelion. there's another movie that was supposed to be the ending, called Death and Rebirth but don't watch that, it's shit.
    That said, I have mixed impressions about this anime. I recommend everyone watch this series, because it is a must, but looking back it doesn't seem to hold out much in the test of time. shinji(i believe is the name of the kid), is one of the whiniest most pussy central characters of any show ever. He ruins my memory of this show.

Berserk 4/5 - Raw, but the ending on this is fucked up...written by chimps on acid. you'd have to read on in the manga to get the ending, a lot of times with animes like this, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore, etc, they end the anime rather abrupt because it was canceled, that's how i got started on reading manga( online), cuz i needed closure.
    test
  3. Pyro Tecknik

I'll add and break these more into detail when I find the time.

Now and Then, Here and There: 4/5 - hardly ever gets mentioned, but it's a very solid series.

Elfen Lied: 3/5
    - Blood, violence, blood, hack and slash, cat-ear demon-like horns...don't remember it having much of a plot, but it was still somewhat interesting. Blood.

Last Exile: 4.5+/5
    - Start to finish, great all around. engrossing plot/story, interesting characters, high production values.

Gantz 4/5
    - another grimey hentai heavy anime that was cut short. Show is out there as fuck, but good.

Trigun: 4.5+/5
    - One of the first that I watched and still one of my favorites.

Outlaw Star 3.5+/5 - old, outdated and a far cry from cowboy bebop, but still a solid series.

Cowboy Bebop 5/5
    - Watch this now.

Claymore 4/5
    - cut short, but interesting enough to continue on manga.

Vampire Hunter D: 4.5+/5
    - Classic.

Vampire Hunter D: BloodLust: 4/5
    - new D film, but oddly enough it's only available in english. still good.

Death Note: 4.5-/5
    - Fuck the NvsKira ending. L vs. Light >. it fell off after that.

FLCL: 4/5
    - cool ass anime.

Samurai 7: 4/5
    - adaptation to kurosawa's 7 Samurai. Very good.

Hellsing: 4.5/5
    - Another classic.

Photon - The Idiot Adventures: 3.5+/5
    - as the title suggests, it's the adventures of a dim-witted, but likeable character and his wife/friends. 4 episodes long. 90's animation.

Anime Films

Sword of the Stranger: 5/5
    - Very well done, sword fights are superb, story is a bit cliche, but a great film nonetheless.

Kite: 4.5/5
    - Like Umetsu's other work, Mezzo Forte....fast, violent and graphic/hentai.

Kite: Liberator: 3/5
    - and like the sequel, not as good.

Princess Mononoke: 5/5
    - The first anime film(and in general, probably even predates dbz for me), that I watched...The scene where that arrow splits that niggas wig, I was done for.

Spirited Away: 4.5/5

Howl's Moving Castle: 4/5

The Animatrix 4.5/5

Batman: Gotham Knight 4.5+/5

Afro Samurai: 4/5

Ghost in the Shell: 3/5
    watched it like 5 years ago and then again recently and although the second viewing was better, it still doesn't rank as one of the best to me.

5 Centimeters Per Second: 3.5/5

Ninja Scrolls: 5/5
    - Classic. Gruesome and bloody.
    test
  4. Pyro Tecknik

test
  5. Pyro Tecknik

how long is it before you aren't able to edit your own posts?
    test
  6. Pyro Tecknik

test
  7. Pyro Tecknik

and one more.
    test
  8. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

Do you want me to sticky this? lol
    test
  9. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

Final form Ichigo and Aizen's nervous breakdown were great.

Seemed like Ichigo was handling him fine without resorting to FGT.
    test
  10. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

Wrong thread.

Fuck it.

I'm not editing.
    test
  11. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

test
  12. NOBLE SOLDIER

NOBLE SOLDIER Fireball Kid

yea sticky it shad.. nh..
    test
  13. Complete Chaos

Complete Chaos I'm Drugs.

Good read. You're right about the ones I read through.

Didn't finish reading it yet.
    test
  14. NOBLE SOLDIER

u should watch Kenichi - Historys Strongest Disciple if you havent yet.. it was good.. i finished the anime and picked up on the manga where the anime stopped.. its a really good manga too..
    test
  15. Pyro_Tecknik

Pyro_Tecknik Rager

you liked it that much?

i watched the first disc(don't remember if i mentioned it in the other thread or not), but it's ok...whiny kid is really annoying.
    test
  16. NOBLE SOLDIER

i kinda agree with the begining .. the story its self gets alot better after the anime stops.. i think they should really do an anime for that too..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.