Anderson Silva says he couldn't beat Jon Jones

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Makabreli, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/1/4484778/ufc-anderson-silva-i-dont-think-i-can-defeat-jon-jones

You don't often hear of a UFC champion saying that he can't beat someone. The sport is generally full of bravado and confidence (real or imagined), and any signs of weakness are taboo. But when Anderson Silva says something, people listen. And at a media luncheon where Silva spoke in English, he had a pretty interesting assessment of a bout with UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones - he doesn't think he'd win (via MMA Fighting):
    "Jon Jones, in his class, is the best, Silva said. "If I fight Jon Jones, I'm don't think I'm going to win."
    "Jon Jones is different," Silva said. "He's large. He's young. But, in the fight, I see in Jon Jones, I see myself from a long time ago. He's very smart."​
    And he went a little further. When asked what advantages he'd have over Jones, he said there was only one:
    "I don't know," Silva said. "In my opinion, Spider has more experience than Jon Jones, but that's the only advantage."​
    It's going to be pretty tough for Dana White to bang the drums on a Silva/Jones superfight after that. It seems pretty clear that Silva's not looking for that fight. Either way, Silva has something else to deal with before that becomes an issue - he meets Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 162 this weekend.
    UPDATE: Jones responds on twitter:

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones
    Honored to hear the statements Silva made regarding a super fight me earlier today.. Doesn't change much, still working hard
    8:02 PM - 1 Jul 2013
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

someone said it sounded like silva was baiting jones
    test
  3. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

^^^does anyone believe what silva says anymore????
    test