Anderson/Bonnar + Big Nog/Herman added to 153

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by DemiGod, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

To replace the main and co main events
    test
  2. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i saw this yesterday. wtf dana u gave bonnar a shot? ....why? is there really any reason to talk about this. silva by first round ko
    test
  3. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

I saw way before this Dana posted on twitter something like "man all these injuries, im going to have a lot of work"

I'm assuming Bonnar wasn't the first choice, and much like UFC 151, when the mainevent champ got injured, AGAIN, Silva stepped up like a G. Stepping up on SHORT notice (IN BRAZIL LUCKY HIM), not to mention the mans AGE, and aura in the sport, he should really be commended.

Be this fight as it may, Jones couldn't finish Bonnar, so this fight should be interesting.
    test
  4. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

jones completely dominated bonnar when he wasnt near as good as he is now.

bonnar would be the last choice in my mind. but im guessing this is just a warm up fight for GSP
    test
  5. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Yeah Jones couldn't finish him, but he has improved exponentially since that fight, no exaggeration. Jones would probably finish him in the first round now realistically.

I actually think it's a pretty cool risky move from Silva though. Could you imagine if he actually lost in Brazil to Bonnar? Holy shit, he'd have virtually no more fans, his career would essentially be over. His Bruce Lee aura would be snatched just like that. I do expect him to make quick work of Bonnar, but Bonnar isn't easy to finish, has some serious submissions, and has that constantly pressing forward style that has given Silva problems before. If it goes the distance, it'll be Silva every round, his striking is way more accurate than Bonnar. And as entertaining as it is sometimes, Bonnar has a dumb ass tendency to block punches with his face, and with Silva's elbows and accuracy, and with Bonnar's tendency to get cut wide the fuck open, I would seriously not be surprised if he winds up finding himself trying to convince the ringside doctor to let the fight continue seeing out of one eye within the first minute of round one. Bonnar doesn't have near the wrestling abilities of Sonnen, and I seriously doubt he will be able to take Silva down or even really press him against the cage for very long.

I read somewhere that they are thinking about making Sonnen vs. Wanderlei in that event. I can't even imagine what would happen after Sonnen beats Wanderlei in that scenario, lol.

I think Dave Herman will lose but not yet get dropped from the UFC.
    test
  6. LungZzZ

Is Sonnen vs Wandy on this card as well?
    test
  7. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

lmao @ block punches with his face. true story
    test
  8. LungZzZ

test
  9. LungZzZ

I am a bit perplexed that this is a 3 Round affair...
    My assumption is that Anderson called and asked to take a fight on short notice,
    IF it were not for his title, but in fact at LHW in a non 5-Round affair,
    as a month isn't sufficient training time?
    test
  10. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

does it really matter? bonnar is gonna get knocked out in the first round
    test
  11. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

heh
    sudenly that picture looks like bonnar's terrified
    test
  12. LungZzZ

Bonnars about to get ruined faster than finding out your pregnant
    test
  13. LungZzZ

test
  14. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I honestly don't think Bonnar is afraid of Anderson Silva, at all tbh. That doesn't mean he stands a chance.
    test
  15. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Stephan's only shot is to grapple with Silva....he has decent TDs and a solid jitz game.
    test
  16. walk with me

walk with me Member

silva should body him but you never know
    test
  17. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Bonnar says shit like he promises not to go for takedowns and not to try to dodge punches in fights, then he apologizes if he happens to win as a result of superior grappling. He won't beat Silva, and no he doesn't have near the grappling abilities of Sonnen. Is he a better wrestler than Silva? Maybe, but if it took Sonnen 3-4 minutes or so to mount Silva, how long do you think Bonnar to do anything similar? He wouldn't be able to do anything without the ref breaking it up.

I honestly see Bonnar going out there like a brave man, getting caught early by a perfectly aimed elbow to the face, to get his easily cut face cut wide open, I expect people will be furious, and will call it a cowardly way to win or whatever, and people will bitch and cry and pretend like blinding a person isn't the same as ending their night any other way, and Silva will collect his check, go home and fuck his wife.

I expect that "pound for pound" term is going to look like an incredibly pointless thing to even debate after this fight. Who's the p4p king? Silva who beats Bonnar and Chael Sonnen who supposedly "sucks", or is it GSP who gets injured and loses his title due to injuries? Or is it Jon Jones, who is supposedly too big for his division, and ducks Chael Sonnen, who supposedly "sucks". Or is it Jose Aldo, who has dominated a stacked division with stars such as.....well, he beat Faber. No one will say Dominick Cruz, because winning fights via UD apparently doesn't really count, and only the Diaz brothers are allowed to be taller than their opponents and still be considered good.

Eventually we will just accept that JDS would beat any of these guys in a fight.
    test
  18. LungZzZ

Your looking at the present too much.
    GSP got injured for this Diaz fight, other then that,
    his backing was VERY strong, as is now, and many thought he was #1,
    if not than #2.
    Anderson, during his whole career, did amazing things.
    Up until Chael 2, WHICH HE WAS TELLING THE WORLD HE DIDNT WANNA FIGHT,
    AND NOT BECAUSE HE THOUGHT HE WOULD LOSE XD
    the man looked like the best in the world. How is taking a fight with Bonnar on short notice bad?
    How does it tarnish your p4p ranking? I don't even know why I'm arguing as even the fighters agree p4p is wack.
    test
  19. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Yeah I don't know what your arguing either....lol

P4p is stupid, we agree on that. Virtually everyone does now. P4p got officially pointless once they started putting Shogun back on the list after his win against a rusty ass Forrest Griffin in his back yard after getting mutilated and having something like 2 wins for every one loss in the UFC. It's a popularity contest nothing more, and never has been anything more.

And I mean, even pre-Sonnen 2, he fought Yushin who lost to Sonnen, Marquardt who lost to Sonnen, and Henderson who trains with Sonnen and praises Sonnen. When people think of Silva's big matches, they usually mention those guys, yet discredit Sonnen. People are talking like Silva's next big match up is probably Bisping, and who did Bisping just lose to (or have an extremely hard time with depending on if you think he got robbed)

Again, it's just a popularity contest. No one in the UFC has full mounted Silva or taken more than one round or wobbled Silva or taken Silva's back or forced Silva to take borderline cheap risky moves cept for Sonnen, period. Yet we're supposed to believe Sonnen was his weakest opponent, come on son, not even Silva himself believes that.

If Sonnen gets a title shot against Jon Jones and somehow does manage to beat him, I'll bet my life Sherdog will act like it's nothing and put him at like number 8-10 or something on their list.
    test
  20. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

tbh people will never respect guys who cant ko their opponent because their will always be that arguement that the next guy who puts his hands on their chin can win.

for example when gsp got beat up by serra. its only so long before somebody puts jones away imo. the great fighters who have never been hit before due to skill usually can't respond when it finally happens
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.