Anabolic diet

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

So I'm going to start the anabolic diet in a week or two.

Basically it's a high fat, high protein, low carb eating style.

5 days out of the week will consist of 50-60% fat, 30-40% protein, and 10% carbs. The 6th and 7th day will be a carb up period, taking in 30-40% fat, 10-20% protein, 40-60% carbs.

The idea behind it is that your body adapts to the increase fat intake and carb depleted state so that your body starts primarily utilizing dietary fat and body fat for energy as opposed to glucose(carbs).

The carb up during the weekend creates a high insulin response, thus filling your muscles with glycogen and amino acids creating an anabolic effect. The increased fats also increase testosterone and GH levels in conjucture with the high spike during the weekend carb up.

So basically the majority of my foods during the week will be red meat, eggs, oilive oil, butter, bacon, salmon, butter, fish oil caps, flax seeds. Most of my carbs will come from green vegetables like broccoli, celery, lettuce, etc.

During the carb up it will be mostly low GI carbs like brown rice, peanuts, milk, and about 25% carbs of whatever I want. There's no limit to the amount of carbs I can take in during the 36 hour carb up.

I'm getting blood tests done beforehand to measure my cholesterol levels, which they will probably drop while eating this way, yes, drop.

If anyone's interested in this type of eating I think I can find a link to the book. Lots of people have claimed great results with the anabolic diet.
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

im just tryin to cut carbs right now.

ps that diet seems delicious, i might find a few diets and cycle through them just so im always able to eat new things.
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Well, the anabolic diet really shouldn't be called a diet but rather a lifestyle.

It requires dedication and is long term. I've had many people tell me if I don't plan on being on the AD for at least 6 months to not even bother. Your body takes a while to become fully adapted to burning fat for energy.
    test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

That's.. interesting.
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

well how long am i gonna have to wait for this low-carb diet to kick in...its probaly been a week or two as of now, and on an average day i probaly take in like 100-120 grams of carbs and on days i do cardio i tend to take maybe 50-70 grams more....i want my fuckin 10-pack...i have veins on my stomach yet not rock solid abs..wtf?
    test
  6. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Not everyone can get abs.

Genetics.
    test
  7. LiveFromThe781

nah i have them it just like..theyre noticeable..i just want insane ones, ill be damned if im one in like 12053t9459023542905 people who cant get abs, even if they work their ass off
    test
  8. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

You need your bodyfat levels to be around 10%
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

yeah im very curious to know what my bodyfat% is, i wanna try that eating/calorie guide that you sent me but its kinda impossible to do correctly without an accurate bodyfat %. theres a place down the street from me that i guess has something to do with nutrition and physcial therapy, i think ill pay them a visit tomorrow and try to find out. ..that and im gonna start doing more ab exercises/ change them up more frequent. ..if i can see veins under there, and if i have the ill abs when i flex them then i figure i just need to work them more, which has to be doen to get them where i want them anyway.
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

yeah my whole midsection is looking a lot better now that ive started to eat low carb. whats the difference between eating low carb+moderate fat vs. the anabolic diet?
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

The anabolic diet focuses primarily on consuming fats.

60% of my food intake is now fat. All I eat most of the day now is eggs, butter, bacon, ground chuck, steak, fish oil, olive oil. Because of the high fat foods, I'm also getting high protein. Once my body's adapted, I will start burning fat for energy instead of carbs. Low carb+moderate fat would still have you burning carbs for energy.

I'm on day 4 of the 12 day break in to achieve a metabolic shift. On day 13 and 14 I'm going to do a huge carb load while keeping my fat intake high. After that I go back to 5 days high fat/high protein/low carb and then a 2 day carb up, and so on and so on with 5/2.
    test
  12. LiveFromThe781

whats the signifigance of the carb up? is it nesecary or could i just go 100% high fat, high protein, low carb?
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

test
  14. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

The carb up stuffs the muscles with glycogen and creates a huge insulin response. That's why this diet is so effective at building muscle is because of the weekend carb ups which increase insulin and GH. The increased fats increase test production.
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

thats what i was thinking. thank you for answering though. so if you want to control the amount of muscle you gain you could either:

A) cycle the carb up phase to every other week

B) eat a small-moderate amount of carbs during the carb up days

C) a combination of A+B

am i right about that?

one more question on the diet, on the carb up days are you supposed to do strenious/intense weight workouts or just rest?

oh nvm, i actually have one more question, what do you do about fruits, vitamin C, and calcium? i know fruits and milk are off limits due to the carb content so do you just take a supplement or something?
    test
  16. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Why on earth would you want to control the amount of muscle you gain?

No, you shouldn't skip a carb up. You need the carb ups every week. Some people say that a 36 hour carb up is too long for them so some have shortened it to 24 hour or even 12 in extreme cases, but no one on the AD skips a carb up. The carb ups is one the key crucial elements to this eating style.

I mean, this is one of the few ways you can actually continually burn off fat while maintaining and gaining lean body mass. There's really no reason to alter the diet so much so that you're completely skipping carb ups or making such drastic changes.

No fruits during the week, too many carbs, save them for the carb ups. I take a multivitamin with 500mg of vit c in it and I also take an additional 1.5g in chewable form, I'd take a pill but I like the taste ha. The book also reccomends taking a calcium supplement.
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

i think im just over-worrying about putting on a little weight which in reality isnt a big deal at all. i mean its not like im gonna jump from 170 to 200 in a matter of weeks either lol.

i knew i shoulda grabbed those vitamin supps. while i was there, i definately should be taking and abundance of calcium in since one of the main focuses of Muay Thai is to make your bones stronger (via hitting them repeatedly) and having low calcium definately isnt going to make things any easier for me.

i think i may go on the AD at the end of this week....im trying to take in as little carbs as i can now, i guess 20-30 grams seems to be what most people use as the bar so thats where ill go too i guess. most of my carbs are coming from stuff like nuts and lettuce anyway.

ive been carbing down for a while and now im really starting to high fat it up. a nice little food a lot of people seem to overlook: mayonaise. i was searching my fridge last night for a good fat food and pulled out the mayoinaise...looked at the label, 0 everything except fat. which was great for me since i already took in the amount of P i needed anyway.
    test
  18. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

If you're serious about getting on the AD you have to read the book. And the first 25 pages of that thread on T-Nation that guy linked you to, I saw your thread

I've got a link to the book if you want
    test
  19. LiveFromThe781

definately would appreciate a link to the book, aslong as its in a printable form or something, im not really trying to buy it. the other thing is im not a body builder or power lifter, not sure if that matters..i think the appealing piece to bodybuilders is elminating the bulk/cut cycle..which is appealing to ANYONE because no one likes lookign stocky and theres no need to go into how much everyone hates cutting. sorta getting off topic/thinking out loud.
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

so you gonna link me to that book?

i got some more questions too.

ive recently been loggin my food intake in counts of grams i can only find the ony from yhesterday but its pretty similar to my other days, i wanna know if its alright for my height/weight and if itll be ok for the anabolic diet.

im 6'0, 170lbs and my intake was/is Protein-257grams/fat-287grams/carbs-28grams

also when im on the carb-up phase of the week am i supposed to do the high carb intake AND the high fat intake or do i replace the fat with carbs for the 2 days?

(edit)
    nvm , i just re-read the initial post and it answered my question. so it looks like i lower my protein and fat intake down a little bit during the carb up

but im still wondering if what im taking in now is a good amount.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.