American Gangster was borin' as hell

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Blaine Fontaine, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twdIDescipleI

twdIDescipleI New Member

i liked it
    but yea , dat custody battle shit was wack
    test
  2. double ML

double ML Guest

i'm sure this movie is great

you just need an attention span and intelligence to like it

i can see why a lot of rm.c members hate it[funny]
    test
  3. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Now if there's one thing I like, it's an educated opinion.

But in your case, it happens to be based on some picture you have in your head of "how it is". Based on your reputation, you're probably imagining that the movie is about Rusell Crowe and Denzel Washington having anal sex.

It isn't.

Save your money. You certainly had to peel a lot of potatoes for it.
    test
  4. double ML

double ML Guest

^^lmao@how fuckin' dumb you are[funny]

the movie is based on this cat who rose up mafia style

duh

and i'm sure my income > yours

your obsession with homosexuality & kitchen utensils is quite unhealthy
    test
  5. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

LOL, OK so now the movie is good because of what it's based on? Watching movies is so October 2007 huh?

I bet you do make more money than me too. you're like what? 7-8 years older than me? You should be making more. but I will be making more than you currently are at your age with a house and these little things called assets. You might not know anything about those aside from your Bruce Lee DVD collection. All that without having to work 25 hours a day or getting dishpan hands.

LMAO (not joking) Your obsession with defending your manhood/masculenity is quite unhealthy.
    test
  6. double ML

double ML Guest

the movie should be great cause denzel's in it you simpleton

when you're my age, you'll probably still be in your minimum wage job

lmao@the fact i have no obsessions[funny]
    test
  7. Mr ExZ

Mr ExZ evolved

it was good it just was mad long
    test
  8. Pious

Pious LET ME LEAD YOU......

i really wanted to see this but im not so sure now
    test
  9. Butfuklo

Butfuklo New Member

Tell me, does this have those boring fukin scenes where their is no dialogue while the characters are doing the most fukin mundane activity? Is their any scenes where the characters are getting ready for work or that type of boring shit?
    test
  10. jimmytucker99

jimmytucker99 New Member

Hey one of the people I intern with at umgd said it was based on a true story. Is this true?
    test
  11. double ML

double ML Guest

^^yes

frank lucas
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Great fuckin' movie... it kept my interest.

It was basically a portrait of Frank and Richie, the prosecutor/cop who was pursuing him.

Scott attempted to mirror the two men, kinda like Mann did with Deniro and Pacino in Heat... even the meeting at the end was almost an allusion to the coffee shop scene in Heat.

Some critics compared the movie to Serpico and The Godfather, but I didn't see any links there.

Since the primary focus was on those two men, you didn't really see a lot of supporting character development nor extended visual sequences of heroin addicts, the actual street trade, nor much development of the people around them, ie., Frank's family members, Richie's wife and kid, etc.

The movie was based on true events, so the custody battle was real and it had to be shown to depict the choice Richie made between family and being a cop.

There was great acting on Denzel's part, of course... and capable performances from Ruby Dee, RZA, and Cuba Gooding Jr... Crowe was pretty one-note, but nevertheless effective.

My only gripe with the movie was in the editing... for an almost 3 hour flick, there was a lot of cutting and choppy sequences... which made the overall pace inconsistent, especially near the end when they were wrapping things up.

I'd give it a thumbs up.
    test
  13. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

It was a good movie. I liked it. I wouldnt watch it again though.
    test
  14. XxKxX

XxKxX Member

It only got good for me at the end, all after the bit when the cops come and raided his house, thats when the sh!t started kicking off good!
    test
  15. Killumin

Killumin Be happy with what u got!

was a nice movie, did drag abit but overall worth the money imo................. jus dont be expecting all out action, and give it time to pick up !!!
    test
  16. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Good movie.

Really showed how big Frank Lucas was at one point. He had more than a quarter of a million dollars in possessions alone. Murdered someone cold blooded in the street in front of everybody and walk away like nothing happened.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if he didn't go to the boxing game with the chinchilla on, seated in front of mafia bosses.

I love the motif.. calm smirk followed by "my man."
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Nah, makes you wonder what would've happened if he didn't have such a wankster as part of his company... if you gonna be large, you gotta be able to spot weakness... dude was a liability from the getgo. He did love his wife a little too much with that chinchilla shit.
    test
  18. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Garden variety mob movie. Too long with no sweep at all. It's just an irresponsible and derivative procedural with a bad ending and strained parallels between the cop and Lucas.
    test
  19. Brahm@n

Brahm@n New Member

the lone officer's stand against departmental corruption

what did you find irresponsible about it?
    test
  20. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

The negative consequences of his actions are completely glossed over; it's the ethical equivalent of making a movie about Chairman Mao without the Great Leap Forward, or Stalin without the gulags. He was dealing people their death and all we see is that he got rich. He sold out everybody (NYPD, military) who helped make him rich, and we get that in a last-second title card and a quick scene that . He spent 15 years in prison and all we see is that he eventually got out.

I read an article somewhere where Ridley Scott said after spending a day with Frank the best way he could describe him was as a "sociopath", and yet in the movie he is portrayed as a fairly regular dude with a keen business sense and family loyalty. Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to accept the sadist with a heart of gold characterization. It would be like making a WWII romantic-comedy about Hitler and Eva Braun.

While not necessarily an indictment on this particular movie, someone else wrote that with the impact of The Departed last year, the popularity of The Sopranos, the cult of Scarface, and the early high praise American Gangster garnered, it appears the gangster picture is overtaking the western as the quintessential American genre, the crime boss/gangster moving past the Wild West lawman in the American mythos pantheon. This strikes me as both true and sad. (though I know you're no great fan of the classic American western).

I could probably go on, but we'll start with that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.