All-Time Football greats list

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by d-rell, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Yeah its pretty obvious to me now, you need to work-out your personal and emotional issues w/ LDT's greatness. You need to be more objective. More stats:

You CANNOT CARRY THE FOOTBALL 3000 times (that's including playoff's) in 8 seasons in the NFL and not have toughness, heart, and longevity (which is ridiculous to bring up b/c although you're praying that he ends his career in two season's, I haven't heard any statement on ESPN validating that). There's nothing physically wrong with LDT, he had a mediocre season last year. Emmit had a worse season than LDT's 2008 season in 1996, and yet played what almost 10 st8 seasons after that? Not to mention Emmit's 1997 was even worst than '96, he barely cracked the 1000 mark in 16 games. In that '96 season Emmit was fortunate enough to run behind Larry Allen, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Daryl Jonnston, and Mark Stepnowski three of the which were pro bowlers - absolutely no excuse for a mediocre season.

Not only is LDT a more skill back, but he has an opportunity to break all of Emmit's records if he stays healthy, and after playing all but 1 game his entire career I'd say in all likelihood he'll register a solid career...

All things considered I don't see LDT retiring anytime soon. Either you can go out to the Congo or somethin' and try to purchases a group of witch doctors or you should learn practice objectivity over emotional ignorance.

~1~
    test
  2. PiffInDaHamper

PiffInDaHamper New Member

emmit might not have been the most talented or fastest or strongest, but he was a tough competitor and he stayed healthy for his whole career

emmit is top 3
    test
  3. PiffInDaHamper

LT has been on the decline ever since his MVP season
    test
  4. PiffInDaHamper

marshall faulk > LT

anyone who dosent have faulk on the top ten list shouldnt be making lists period
    test
  5. hYpOconDriAdIcT

hYpOconDriAdIcT New Member

haha OK dr phil u need to work on ur sports ignorance

"LaDainian Tomlinson was the guest on ESPN’s Sunday night conversation and said that he would prefer to walk away from the game on top instead of making an a-hole out of himself by hanging on too long.

Like Shaun Alexander."

and...

Article by Paul Hickey

In an interview with ESPN, LT said that he won't play five more seasons in the NFL. At the age of 29, we dont think he has a choice. LT had previously made it clear that he'd play until the top rushing records were broken, but now- more then 7,000 yards away from Emmitt Smith - he's re-thinking that approach.

OWNED
    test
  6. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

[funny].
    test
  7. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

all true statements
    test
  8. d-rell

d-rell New Member

lol

Even if this is a legitament article, what does this prove? So we're going from LDT is definitely going to retire in 2 years according to you, to he says he may retire in 5 year's (that's if that last article even has a legit link)? And how many times did Favre contemplate retirement?

Again, LDT isn't slowing down, he had a mediocre season.. quit getting all excited, that means nothing. Emmit had a string of mediocre seasons, that went into poor seasons.

Until LDT hangs up his cleets and walks away from the game.. or has a freak career ending Dennis Byrd injury... He has a great opportunity to break Emmit record.

Matter fact, you're actually proving him to be a better back the Emmit. Five more seasons right? I'm going to assume, since they're no actual dates on the link, that he won't play 5 MORE means 4 + the up coming season. If LDT claims he's going to retire ON TOP and that's another FIVE years. What's 5 * 1400 = 7000. What's 7000 + 11,760 = 18,760

18,760 > 18,355 (Emmit's record).

Even if he by chance doesn't break it, if in FIVE more years LDT is still in TOP form, he's perhaps going to jump to 3rd on my list past O.J. & Payton. He's going to have the TD record (that's right not Emmit's rush TD but Jerry Rice's all-time TD record), 13 straight seasons with over 1,000 yards, and over 800 career receptions.

UnOwned with ease... now go find something else to do.

~1~
    test
  9. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Who exactly are we talking about here?
    test
  10. hYpOconDriAdIcT

LOLOLOL yea LT will get 1400 yrds for 5 straight seasons on the downside of his career, seriously, whos the one wishfully thinkin now d-rell? I just went off the words that came out of his own mouth. and the fact that u never even knew he said that tells me u must not follow the sport that much cuz it was all over sportscenter when he said it

d-rell u the one that needs to find somethin else to do.. u lost this argument before u even started it..

LOLOL u was Pre-Owned.
    test
  11. d-rell

d-rell New Member

I know what he said on ESPN. But he didn't fix a time on what "too long" would be from his career prospective. Dude we're talking about the second article. Which I've never seen, and you refuse to post the link which I find suspicious. He said (according to this Paul Hickey article) that he was going to leave the game on top (on top for LDT would be about 1400 yds.), which again according to the article could be four or five years. If it happens to be five years where he's playing on top, like Walter Payton did (avg. around 1400 per season late in his career), then LDT has a chance to break Emmit's record.

This again begs the question, what if Emmit would left the game on top? I don't think he would've reached Payton's record.

But all of this is of course irrelevant.. as of today, the boy LDT is on a good pace to break Emmit's record. It appears to be his choice. If he wants to extend his career when he falls off in age and really has nothing to offer a franchise like Emmit did, he'll break it. If he choose to walk away on top, he still has a chance to break it. Whether he breaks it or not, he's still a better back skill-wise, better receiver, and just like Barry the potential to rack up more rush yards late in his career is there.

lol
    Should've been the end long time ago

LDT > Emmit

~1~
    test
  12. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

You have no basis's for ur LT > Emmitt argument
    test
  13. hYpOconDriAdIcT

LT dont even deserve to be on the top 10 list... yea he was better skill wise... but so were a lot of backs... thats wut made emmitt so great... he wasnt the fastest, strongest or most agile back.. he had the intangibles u cant clock on a stop watch or push on a weight bench.. and he did things that stronger and faster backs to this day cant do. LT imo lacks some of those intagibles that Smith possessed, like heart, (see any of his interviews when their losin) toughness (see champ game vs NE) or longevity (talkin retirement after 8 seasons) and those are some of the things that seperate the greats from the legends.

was Jerry Rice the fastest, strongest or most athletic WR in history? HELL NO.. yet he's widely considered to be the best ever (even by you lol)

lolol u bout to get the record for bein OWNED the most times in the same thread.
    test
  14. hYpOconDriAdIcT

test
  15. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Do you know any WR even remotely close having a career like Jerry Rice? Invalid argument.

lol I guess owned in your book means throwing out weak premises. You not dropping any good resolves. For instance, you're argument appears to be Emmit was better than LDT because he gave better interviews? How is LDT not tough? What are you talking about dude? T.O. played hurt for the Eagles in the super bowl does make him a better receiver than Jerry Rice?

Owned ??? Stop saying that without backing it up with a valid argument. From what I'm seeing you couldn't own anything.. even if you had a receipt. Wait until I get off work and I have even more time dig stats....

Where is your argument? Heart... Toughness... ?? What are you talking about. LDT has more speed, agility, power... he's a better receiver, better in the goal line, averages more yds. per carry... if he chooses to he can stick around and shatter all of Emmit's records, and get Rice's TD record... those are my strong points. And there pint up against your weak argument of Heart... Toughness....

like I said.. go somewhere, and come back with a case. lol

~1~
    test
  16. PiffInDaHamper

lynn swann has 4 rings
    test
  17. hYpOconDriAdIcT

thats not a valid point? and ur saying 7,000 yards is close? lol if so then Isaac Bruce is 8,000 yards behind Rice so he's close too lol and i like how u deverted attention away from the actuall comparison I made which wasnt about stats or how far ahead in the record books they are... the comparison had to do with physical attributes... Like Emmitt.. Jerry Wasnt the fastest, strongest and best athelete so it had to be something else in him that set him apart and that is an undisputable fact and is always valid

dont be a spin doctor... i said u can tell LT had no heart by his conduct in an interview after losing a game.. the shit he would say.. not how well he gave an interview.

I thought I already addressed why bein faster stronger and more agile doesnt always meen better? (Remember Jerry)

better reciever yea.. better goal line? very debatable, avg. more yards per carry? yea he averaged .2 more yards per carry lol yea that gives him the edge

heres some advice D-Rell.... When some of ur strong points start with the word "IF" *whisper* they are not that strong.

ur hopeless
    test
  18. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Dude Bruce has had NOWHERE NEAR the career Jerry Rice has had. Look across the board.. It's not physically possible for Bruce to surpass Rice in any category... its IMPOSSIBLE. We're discussing LDT and Emmit, a completely different case where LDT has an opportunity to eclipse Emmit in every concievable football category.. Look, again LDT is just a flat out better player. He's faster, stronger, quicker, a better rusher (even w/o the greatest line in the entire history of football - I'd put the Cowboy OL from '91-'95 up against the Charges all-time OL), better scorer, better in goaline situations, better YdsPerCarry, better blocker, better ball-controller, better receiver, better passer, heck he's probably a better tackler and place kicker than Emmit as well.

You're argument is the classic 'I'm-voting-for-him-because-he's-my-favorite' punch. If you just look @ it objectively, LDT is just plain out better than Emmit (although not by a whole lot IMO), and his career is still ongoing.

As far as the ESPN Sunday convo... it's exactly what I remembered... he's not sure if he's going to be on top in 5 years.. okay, what's the big story with that... its not a pledge to retire in 5 years. He just doesn't want to go out like Emmit playing for a individual record and not playing for a winning season for the franchise.

~1~
    test
  19. hYpOconDriAdIcT

^^^(how is this a valid response to this, see how he avoids my point)
    "i like how u deverted attention away from the actuall comparison I made which wasnt about stats or how far ahead in the record books they are... the comparison had to do with physical attributes... Like Emmitt.. Jerry Wasnt the fastest, strongest and best athelete so it had to be something else in him that set him apart and that is an undisputable fact and is always valid"

can u read? because im pretty sure that clarified that i wasn't comparing records or stats.. I was comparing their skill sets relative to other players at their position.

better scorer? better in goal line situations? better blocker? (haha)better passer? (cuz thats relevant when discussing a RB lol)

better scorer even tho he has less total TDs then Emmitt? (34 less Tds to be exact) Better goal line even tho he has less rushin TDs? see this is the biggest hole in ur argument... its based entirely on a foolish assumption of wut u think LT will do in the future... if ur makin a list today it has to be based on wut a player has done so far not wut u think he will do... and LT simply doesnt have a big enough body of work to surpass Emmitt on any list(Emmitt has more 1,000+ yard seasons then LT has years in the league lol ouch)

Shit i could use ur same exact argument to say Adrian Peterson should be on the list higher then LT...

AP is bigger.. Stronger... Faster... More agile... More athletic. He also averages almost 12 more ypg... almost a full yard more per rush... he actually owns a record (most yards ever in a game) and in 5 years could easily eclipse LT's current rushing total. he's just a better back. so why isn't he on the list higher then LT?? BECAUSE HE HASNT DONE IT YET!!!

lol ive made more logical, stronger points in one post then u have in this whole thread.... ur agrument is the classic 'I-already-lost-so-let-me-twist-things-and-say-whatever-I-can-to-avoid-embarrisment' (and its not working)

Interviewer:For the record you are 7,705 yards away from the record which means you would have to stay at the same level of production for over 5 seasons
    LT: I might not play that long
    Interviewer: What?!? You might not play 5 more seasons??
    LT: I might not
    Interviewer: Why not?
    LT: I dont know.. There comes a time when you gotta walk away from the game and I wanna walk away from the game on top.

lol and wut u took from that is "he's not sure if he's not gonna be on top in 5 years" lol seriously? he's not on top now!

LMAO @ u, Emmitt has 3 SB rings! normally i wouldnt bring that up but when someone questions his intent on winning Im gonna... what was he supposed to do? quit cuz his team sucked? wut a stupid thing to say if he was just playin for the record he woulda quit when he got it but he loved the game thats why he played 2 more seasons after he got the record.
    test
  20. hYpOconDriAdIcT

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.