Alistar out, Who faces Junior Dos SanTos now?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by LungZzZ, Apr 4, 2012.

?

Who Should Fill-In For The HW Belt @ UFC 146?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2013.
  1. Frank Mir!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cain Velasquez!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mark Hunt!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stefan Struve!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other mang

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

Who replaces Overeem as Challenger for the UFC Heavyweight Belt?​

As Makabreli so kindly posted in another thread, Alistair tested positive for Steroids and is now likely to be forced out of competition due to his abnormally high levels of testosterone (at least 4x the regular amount). He left the UFC in a VERY tough position, as he just retired their previous #1 contender, and now cost them this Headlining main event, in a time where they were building up their next contender's chances for the belt.

Who do​
    you​
    think will get the call to fill-in for the belt shot??​

(a couple heavyweights I think make sense)
    Frank Mir:
    Known for his submissions and new found confidence on the feet, Mir is a dangerous foe for anyone in the Heavyweight division. His chin has gotten the better of him in key bouts (in fights with Brandon Vera, Shane Carwin, and Brock Lesnar) even in his most recent, where he was dropped early by Antonio Nogueria(sp), he came back with a game changing/arm-breaking Kimura. He can't be counted out.​

Cain Velasquez:
    Honestly, after Frank, I find it hard to pick a #2, as no other competitors in the UFC have runs over credible opponents. Be that as it may, Cain seems like a good choice, as he is the previous Champion of the UFC. Though his fight was fast (if you blinked you missed it), it left so much questions in the air. Can Junior get up once he's put on his back? Was the 1 punch KO a fluke? Etc.
    A second match would really help clear the fog in the way of the full-picture.​

I'm going to reach a little here...
    Winner of Strikeforce Heavyweight Grandprix: JoshBarnett or DanielCormier
    This one is going out on a BIT of a limb. UFC 146 already has a pretty solid card lined up. They had a full main event of Heavyweight bouts (5) and although they lost the Championship bout, if they keep it out, they could fill the main event with the co-main event (Frank Mir Vs Cain Velasquez) and sell it as a #1 contender bout (which it was before this mess), while bringing up Jason Miller or Edson Barbosza's fight from the undercard (which I'm sure UFC fans wouldn't be too disappointed about).

The GrandPrix finals happen a little over a week before UFC 146, and though it doesn't give the winner enough time to make the 146th event (for a fight), it means the UFC won't have to wait long to get their super-fight. What Overeem did ultimately was kind of "kill" the buzz the Heavyweights were building. If something like a "super-fight" were announced, the fans may pick up enthusiasm again.​

Think someone different deserves a shot? Who?

:eyecrazy:
    test
  2. N A S T Y

N A S T Y Well-Known Member

Frank Mir is the most obvious choice

It won't be Cain.... He's coming off a lopsided loss
    and The Grand Prix winner won't be ready until August or September at the earliest.... that's too much down time for JDS

and lol @ Hunt or Struve
    test
  3. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

give frank the shot....again

i say give cain a shot afterwards.

stefan struve lol nobody better pick him. but that would be entertaining to see him fall
    test
  4. LungZzZ

I'm not putting up Fedors bum ass name :funny:
    test
  5. LungZzZ

Has Struve already been beaten by JDS? For some reason I thought that happened already, not sure though.

Frank is the only one deserving of the shot really but then all the other fights are fucked...Everyone will need to switch fighters/contracts and shit. I wouldn't mind my Strikeforce idea but it is true JDS would be out for awhile...I don't think it would take until September though, maybe for Daniels brittle bones, but Barnett could make July!!!
    test
  6. N A S T Y

Fedor is the greatest HW of all time
    he's not the greatest now.... but he's the best HW to ever do it

settle down zuffa zombie
    test
  7. N A S T Y

no Struve hasn't beat JDS.... wtf?
    test
  8. LungZzZ

your an idiot, I'm talking JDS beating Struve. I actually figured you had a crush on Fedor. Why enter my threads if your going to catch feellings and troll?

Fedor is a fucking bum that was beaten by a WELTERWEIGHT. Get over the fact that when your precious light heavyweight fat ass can't take roids in japan like everyone else, and faces stricter north american laws that force him to follow the rules if he wants a respectable image, he has never faced an opponent near the top 10 and won. I don't credit Brocks wins in WWE you know what I mean big guy?
    test
  9. LungZzZ

Febuary 21st, Struve KO'd by Junior in the first round, Nasty why are you a trolling faggot?
    test
  10. N A S T Y

Looks like you're the one catching feelings
    and replying to a comment about mma with an mma comment in an mma forum isn't trolling
    test
  11. N A S T Y

I misread your post and you go ape shit.... calm down
    test
  12. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i should have said see him fall again.

i think cain deserves another shot. yea it was an embarressing loss, but hey he got caught.

how about cain and mir fight for a number one contender spot? or has he gone long enough without defending his title
    test
  13. N A S T Y

the Cain vs Mir fight is already a title eliminator but it makes more sense to give it to Mir who's coming of his 3rd straight win than Cain who's coming off a loss
    test
  14. LungZzZ

Mir/Cain were suppose to fight but now that Overeem has tested positive for Roids, someone needs to step up.

- I think Cain deserves a shot at the belt again to. He may have been dismantled but he didn't fight a smart fight. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight a tough fight before an immediate rematch though.
    test
  15. LungZzZ

you were being a bitch, I put you in your place. I'm just saying I don't roll like you if you catch feelings by what I say don't come in the threads, what I say will be said no matter what u say, u dig?
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i dont even care

overeems a homo
    test
  17. Makabreli

Makabreli done

it's almost definitely going to be frank mir

the grand prix winner likely has to fight two more time in strikeforce

there is the slight possibility of fedor, actually. his name has been tossed around quite a bit lately and at the least there's 1) the pride/ufc title unification angle and 2) dana would have the chance to gloat if fedor got his ass beat in ufc
    test
  18. Makabreli

Makabreli done

i think the chance of hunt beating jds is too good for them to throw him in

weird to say since jds is one of the best mma heavyweights and hunt really isn't, but styles make fights and hardheaded k1 champ > dude with 2 or 3 good combos and a good sprawl
    test
  19. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

dana gives me the impression that he wants jds to fight on that card still, so i also feel that he will replace overeem with someone. i feel that mir will get knocked out in the first round, but if cain tried a different strategy, he has a good chance. however giving someone an immediate rematch in a ko loss is crazy. with overeem gone, i dont see anyone else in the ufc challenging jds.
    test
  20. N A S T Y

Shut the fuck up already
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.