Akon Vs Obie...lets let the populace decide...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by MistaChipz, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

now Im talking about success not who u prefer musically....

in your opinion who is more successful...even though its obvious and it doesnt come down to opinion....
    test
  2. Bash

Bash New Member

akon nigga cuz think about it akon came outta nowhere and dropped Locked Up which became a huge hit and his album went on to sell one million copies whereas obie had em backing him up if you think about it obie aint sell off a skill he sold off a em I think cuz Got Some Teeth wasnt dat big of a hit neither was any of his other singles
    test
  3. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

I appreciate ya input, lets keep um coming...

I knoe this is a lame thread but I have my reasons for posting it....

holla.....

by the way I think Akon is more successful, but I want to see what yall think..
    test
  4. Topheavyhookjaw

Topheavyhookjaw rap-community.tk

probably akon, but i'd say they were even til obies album just flopped, cuz both of their first releases sold relatively well
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Akon's last album sold less than Obie's album that just release that so-called "FLOPPED"

Most people didn't even know Akon dropped an album in '05... He ain't even have any singles that I saw get any play... That du' is not big... Obie, in his first week of this album, probably sold more than In Your Eyes (Akon's last album) did in total....
    test
  6. nappyjim

nappyjim Active Member

I dont think Akon dropped In my eyes. It was leaked, but was never an official release.

Anyway, I think they are equal so far. Obie didnt do good first week numbers, doesnt mean a year from now he doesnt equal or surpass his first album sales.

PLus they appeal to different audiences. Obie is more rap, a lil hip hop. Akon is hip hop and dance.

Akon has a good hook voice. He has alright full songs, but hooks is where he shines, just like Nate, but he is a lil better than nate when it comes to full songs.
    test
  7. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Akon obviously. Not only has Obie Trice accomplished NOTHING, he has accomplished nothing with the biggest rapper ever guiding his way. The guy has NOTHING outside rap, all he has is his two albums..

Akon went platinum, Obie hasnt. Whats to debate?
    test
  8. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Umm, surpassing his last album sales is IMPOSSIBLE for him. Its not possible at all, EVER. He did 77k first week, so he will do less every week til he falls off charts, he has no singles....he has nothing going for him at all. As it is, the label is seeing the bomb and prolly cutting all the promotion of the album to cut their losses.
    test
  9. E. Fate

E. Fate Guest

Dude, In Your Eyes isn't an official drop. It was leaked.
    test
  10. E. Fate

E. Fate Guest

And like I stated before, I'm a huge fan of both artists, but Obie as tlaented as he is, doesn't have any real success. His first album came out on the heels of being "Eminem's protege", and yes, Cheers was a dope album.

Then you have what 3 years before his next album drops, and in the ears of an average listener, he once again became 'the new guy'.

Now the fact that "Snitch" got delayed because by MTV/BET because of how it was shot, and the name was changed for video purposes, Cry Now is a good song, but NOT single material (the same mistake they made with "Don't Come Down"), and 'Jamaican Girl' the only one with the real single potential and SHOULVE BEEN DROPPED FIRST, is nowhere to be seen.

Akon on the other hand, is an artist that literally dropped out of NOWHERE (Ala Nelly, but his success isn't as huge), with only one album. And as the months went by with him, he soon appears on everyone's shit (Ala Nate Dogg), which in turn keeps his name fresh.

And I can pretty much guarantee you that because of that, and his relationship with the people he works with, that when Akon does drop his 2nd album, it will be a bigger sucess than Obie's. It's a sad but true fact.

Also, I looked up the 'supposed' track listing for In Your Eyes and you of all people should know what the hell a bootleg looks like because 3/4s of the songs on the list were someone elses.

Track listing
    "I'm Back" (Feat. Baby Bash) 3:39 - Appeared on Baby Bash's album
    "Block to Block" (Feat. Rasheeda) 2:45 - Appeared on Rasheeda's album
    "In Your Eyes" 3:58
    "Keep on Calling" (Feat. P-Money) 3:33 - Mixtape Joint
    "Little Do They Know" (Feat. All Stars) 5:18
    "Locked Up" (Feat. Nas) [Remix] 4:57 - Bootleg remix
    "Moonshine" (Feat. Savage) 3:36 - Appeared on Savage's album
    "No Way Jose" (Feat. Baby Bash) 5:34 - Another Baby Bash joint
    "Rebel Musik" (Feat. Monsieur R) 4:10
    "Stay Down" (Feat. Flashy) 4:08 - Ruff •••••• 4 Compilation
    "Wacha Gonna Do" (Feat. Brian McKnight & Juvenile) 4:08
    "Walk Away" 4:17
    test
  11. TiCaL_4:21

TiCaL_4:21 Spittin' Pollaseeds

^^^

Akon is more successful obviously. But i prefer Obie
    Second Rounds on Me was one of the best Albums this year.
    Just a shame he wont sell shit without a hot lead single.
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

^^^ He's accomplished nothing but has gone platinum right? Great job people....
    test
  13. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Go find me an article or anything that says he went platinum. He didnt. 900k is not platinum. Its 900k.
    test
  14. MistaChipz

MistaChipz New Member

u best believe that ni99a is all over google right now...Got his wikipedia page up and everything....if theres a article that says obie went plat trust me, he'll find the quote, lol...

but on the real I heard Obie went plat too...its weird cuzz some articles list him as selling 900k while others say he's coming off of plat success.....

regardless, dude is a sixth man...He aint a star and in my eyes he never will be...AKON like it or not is on his hustle and has actually made some pretty big moves in the past two or three years....fucc has Obie done?....
    test
  15. j$crILLa

j$crILLa ~$crillVille~

they are 2 very different styles of music...

both are dope. i dont prefer either or the other. i like both obies albums and akons album...

i do like akons album the most i guess but all 3 cds they have combind for are dope
    test
  16. KnightMere

KnightMere KnightMere

oZ just dont like obie...

but on the real second rounds on me is the one of the best albums this year so far
    test
  17. Superman70

Superman70 edited

test
  18. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Me not liking Obie has absolutely nothing to do with irrefutable facts. I do not care for 50 Cent, but its a fact that he sold over 4 million copies of the Massacre. Quit confusing facts with opinions, and find me solid proof that Obie went platinum, cause you cant find it at the ONLY official site on the web for platinum listings and certifications (riaa). Not to mention, had he gone platinum, he'd prolly be bragging about it and shit. He got to 900k, but prolly barely, and over the course of years of build up.
    test
  19. E. Fate

E. Fate Guest

^^ Well, like Chipz said, they're alot of articles that state Obie going plat on his first album. And I think that has to do with world wide totals rather than just in the US.
    test
  20. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Platinum is not a world wide standard. Its only issued in America. Hence the Recording Industry Association of AMERICA. Whatever they sell overseas is irrelevent to the RIAA and platinum certifications. He may well have sold 1 million worldwide, but so have alot of non platinum rappers, it doesnt make them so.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.