Advice on Workout (Includes Hydroxycut And Muscle Milk)

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by RedCageman, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

Hello Guys, I'm looking for some feedback on my workout and supplement choices

I'm going to be doing at least a half hour of high intensity cardio about 5 days a week. (3 days in the after noon and 2 days in the morning).

My week would look like this

Monday - half an hour of cardio in the morning - 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups in late evening

Tuesday (gym day) - focus on triceps, back and lower abs - 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups in late evening

Wednesday - Half an hour of cardio in the morning - 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups in late evening

Thursday (gym day) - focus on biceps, chest and upper abs - 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups in late evening

Friday - half an hour of intense cardio in the morning - 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups in late evening

Saturday (gym day) - focus on traps/shoulders, legs and both upper and lower abs - 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups in late evening

Sunday - nothing. Usually take this day for complete rest.

Now each day I take Hydroxycut 3 times a day as it tells me to do, I do those 100 pushups around 8 or 9 about an hour after my last meal of the day and right before I shower. On gym days I have a protein shake right after my workout and on days where I don't get to go to the gym I drink Muscle Milk after I shower and maybe 20 minutes after those 100 "Perfect Pushup" Pushups. But since my pockets are tight right now (shouldn't be after I get the first check from my new job this week) I usually drink half of the Muscle Milk one non workout day and then another half the next nonworkout day.

My diet? Breakfast is usually egg whites and a Subway sandwich (around 340 calories), a Nutriment or a cereal like Cherios (I think around 140-180 cals. Cant remember). The a low fat yogurt between that and lunch. For lunch is usually a sandwich on wheat bread with lettuce and tomato, then a nutrigrain bar between that and dinner which would usually be some kind of rice and poultry. My portions are small and i try to keep something in my stomach without eating to "fullness".

Pre-workout I usually have something very light like an apple and some kind of healthy bar (usually another nutrigrain or something like that.)

Do you guys have any advice on how to improve any of this? This is my first week sticking to this regimine and I'd like to know if you guys see any plot holes in it I need to pay attention to. Also, I'd really appreciate if you could help me choose when to take the Muscle Milk as I've been hearing different things. Today's my first day on Hydroxycut and I feel a lil wierd cuz its a metabolism-altering thing but other than that I feel pretty good. Its prolli my imagination but I look slightly better today too. I also stay hydrated drinking about 80 oz of water a day like Hydroxycut advices.

My overall goal is to drop bodyfat, develop cuts and build mass in my chest and arms especially, and get visible abs. I'll try to provide pics when I can.

Thanks alot for the help fellas.
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

what is your height/weight and body type?

id suggest since you seem very new to bodybuilding you try a pre-designed program. i can give you more guidance on what should work if specify what i asked at the top.

its going to be very difficult to build muscle and still maintain a low bodyfat, its possible but difficult. in order to build any type of mass youre going to need to increase your calories/improve your food choices. there is no sense in eating an apple and granola bar pre-workout you need to focus on something that is high in protein and also that has carbs or fat (just not trans). you also need to be consuming either milk or a whey protein shake immediately after post workout.

muscle milk is to be taken before bed or during the day as a snack if youd like. muscle milk is mostly cassein protein which is slow digested/acting protein.

i think youre going to hurt yourself taking hydroxycut with that low amount of calories on top of all that cardio and lifting.
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

theres better stuff out there than muscle milk...

like he said its a slow digesting/acting protein....you need both, a faster digestesting one for before and after workouts....

my shake i take has both, it says take 1-2 shakes per day

what i do is i put in half the powder they ask for a full serving, and drink a half shake before and a half shake after, then later on in the day ill have another......

ive had phenomenal results doing it that way....

thats a pretty busy schedule so id also take some glutamin or maybe even some BCAA's to aid in recoverys.
    test
  4. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

I'm 5'6, about 189 pounds and I guess I have a pretty stocky build.

I'm trying to trim body fat first and gain cuts and then put muscle on top of that. What would you recommend eating pre-workout? And you're saying eat MORE calories if I'm taking Hydroxycut and doing all the cardio? How would that help be decrease body fat if I'm taking in more calories (does it have to do with energy levels and metabolism?)

Also, how should I lift? (more reps, lower weights?)

Other than that, is my workout ok? And would the muscle milk work AGAINST me cutting bf percentage in anyway?
    test
  5. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

And Sir Bustalot, what would you recommend for shakes other than Muscle Milk. I chose it because I like the taste better than the ones they offer over at Ballys
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well you should find a protein that has both quick release protein and long-term release.....the long term release will work when youre sleepin/all day, the quick release will work during and after your workouts...

theres a few different kinds, every region has different makers so you will have to research it

the stuff i use is made by BioX, it contains whey proteins, and micellar casein: diafiltered and ultrafiltered whey protein, cross flow microfiltered whey protein isolate, micellar casien and cross flow microfiltered and ultrafultered whey protein concentrate LOL

also contains a nice serving of Branched CHain Amino Acids, and a whollop of calories(its a lean mass gainer)

each full serving with milk has 66 grams of proteins, 104g carbs, and 815 calories.

The 815 calories is also another reason to drink half shakes LOL

if youre working out for muscles, do more weight and less reps.

heres what i do, I lift more weight less reps, in sets of 3..

so i put on as much weight that would have me max out at about 8 reps
    then i do that excersize 3 times, the goal is to max out by the end each time.

a recovery day is essential for muscle building.....

i also have a high metabolism, so i tend to stay lean....i dont carry much fat my body fat % is 8
    test
  7. LiveFromThe781

youd probaly get better results under low reps heavier weight since youre of that body type. my expertise on mesomorphs is pretty limited. you may want to try around 2500 calories to start and see how that takes you. id suggest keeping your diet of things like eggs, green veggies, milk, meat etc. lower your intake of startchy food such as breads and potatoes and incorporate HIT cardio which is when you cycle between durations of high and low intensity. like jogging 2 minutes, sprininting 1 minute. or bicycling 4 minutes for a steady pace and going 1-2 minutes fast pace. try that a couple times a week in sessions of 10-20 minutes

-you may also want to look into something called the V-diet its supposed to have really good results with fat loss. ..if you can handle drinking nothing but shakes/blends.
    test
  8. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

ok that sounds cool.

My goal is to lose the body fat and gain cuts first though. Would you still recommend going with the lower reps more weights? Because I'm naturally stocky, and thought I was naturally thick but in recent weeks I look...i dunno how to word it, but my body composition is different than what I thought it was years ago

I'll try to get pics up between tonight and tomorrow and see if that'd help

I want to gain cuts and drop body fat % (which is why I went after hydroxycut and the muscle milk which says it burns fat).

So i'll increase my caloric intake while taking the hydroxycut. But what about my other questions above?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
    test
  9. this isn't adressed to be but personaly i would by a stack, that has your muscel builder, protein and creatine all in one, but why not just buy the good brand of each and mix it into one massive shake. i use 100% Whey Protein My Self, plus i think you will get more results with a good creatine product

did you say how old you where? i heard perfect pushups are good for teen bodybuilders, but you should buy more stuff because the same exercises over and over can cause a monotonish physique you should switch your exercises up, some people do the 5 day split.

have a look on bodybuilding.com's store, search by goals and read some articles don't buy a supplement just because it says it will add 8lbs of muscle people are good liars.. read the articles and do some reasearch.
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

try the zone diet, my buddy went from blubbery 245 to a strong and healthy 210 in like 4 months
    test
  11. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

the best tasting protein powders I've tasted in my opinion are low carb metabolic drive from biotest and evopro(the protein in muscle milk)....

Now, i just buy bulk 5lb stuff from http://www.trueprotein.com sweetened with sucralose...whey protein isolate ion exchange would be ideal...

as for meal replacement shakes, i don't drink mrp shakes..so, i don't know what brands look good...muscle milk is a cool concept, but it would probably better if it had less fat...
    test
  12. i have to drink mpr's because i need to intake 2500, sense my BMR is 3500 thats for extreme weight loss tho

what i eat comes to 600 calories, so i have to drink mpr's
    test
  13. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

biotest makes an mrp too...but, honestly i would prefer to add my own stuff in the drinks

like adding a cup of oats with 2 scoops protein powder...or 1 cup oats, cup of egg whites, and 1 scoop protein powder...or you could add 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter instead of oats...
    test
  14. oh i forgot to add that the same exercises over and over will become less effective over time, especially with a movement like pushups, maybe not if you can do them in creative variations. yesterday i put my legs up on the couch, and put my thumbs together and forearms outwards, this worked my traps and chest all at once!
    test
  15. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

Wow i haven't been here in a while. Ok, what i've done is watch my diet and started on hydroxycut. For the first couple days my head constantly hurt but it was cause of my calories which I increased. I've been seeing great results and my goal of getting more CUT has taken priority

I do light cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, do push ups every other "off" day that i don't go to the gym and I vary them from day to day. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays my schedule detail is just like i put at the top of the topic.

My current plan is to stay to course and continue to do high reps (12-15) and lower weights BUT, in the third week of March (i weigh 169 right now and should be closer to the high 150s and low 160s) I'll start taking Muscle Milk at night before I go to sleep and in the mornings (splitting the "one serving" in half because of its high calories) and lifting with more weights and less reps to build bigger muscles.

What do you guys think?
    test
  16. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

test
  17. LiveFromThe781

why would you want to weigh 150?
    test
  18. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

Oh no, I don't wanna go lower than 160. I want my bodyfat % to be enough to where I can see my abs. I think once I get around 160 I'll stop using hydroxycut and just focus on puting on muscle and keeping my cuts.
    test
  19. RedCageman

RedCageman New Member

wtf is up with that Hawaii chair! lmfao!
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

thats not going to happen though. you cant keep your cuts while making any significant type of progress. most gains are best accumulated between 12-15% bodyfat. youll look better with significant muscle and some fat over it than no muscle with significant definition anyway.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.