adding running

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LiveFromThe781, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Live, go to www.rosstraining.com

it'll have all the info you need!

The two books, Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless will be the best investments you've ever made. They are focused on combat athletes.
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

alright cool ill definately be checking ita ll out, i just hoep it doesnt say not to use weights. im 170, and rolled with a kid who weighed 190 today and was tossing em, keep in mind im new to ju-jitsu and dont know shit lol, i think raw power was the only i was able to going from my back to rolling him over onto his. "guy on the bottom, put those hooks in...or do that"
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

how long have you been taking jiu jitsu?

with jiu jitsu, you need to know when and when not to use strength. usually with the bigger white belts, they try to use strength to force their way into and out of positions, which is detrimental to their game because they dont learn technique and just use force. this can result in really slow progress in the long run and should be done as little as possible. if your strong and know when to use your strength, thats great, but theres a lot of new kids that are just big and try to force their way out of too much shit that it gets kind of bad (and annoying to roll against)

im only 155 and theres a new wave of these 215 pounders in class, they constantly try to use their strength against me. this one guy in particular goes fucking ALL OUT and just EXPLODES, just like a total fucking spaz out trying everything he can to stay on top and smush people, but he ends up pissing people off and getting submitted a lot. when people do this to me, and with that kid in particular, i find myself being real rough with the arm bars and chokes (sitting back real fast instead of slowly sitting back when i have the arm bar locked, or applying the choke insanely hard at first instead of easing into it) because that shit pisses me off
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

^well i dont try to take anyones ehad off or anything, somtimes i go a little rough i guess and people tell me to slow it down but thats more of an unintentional thing. its not like i WANT to use my strength, i only know a very very limited amount of submissions, the day of that class i learned the keylock, he taught the omiplata too but that shit was over my head, we learned how to go from a non-working keylock to a hiptoss too...and we did some elbow technique. so now i know the keylock, standing guillotine "dan henderson style", and i donno i guess its called a neck crank, i never knew the name of it, but its like the only thing im good at/can pull off sucessfully. but yeah dont get me wrong id love to know more submissions. i think the last calss i went to yesterday was my..hmmm 3rd....maybe 4th class. and if you havent been going 6+ months youre considered new, so yeah ive still got a long ways to go lol and the muay thai seems to be easier, until they start doing crazy things...turning a push into an elbow, into throwing someone...its like friggin ju jitsu all over again lol.

yeah that really sucks when you gotta go against dudes 100 pounds heavier than you and they dont even take it slow, thats just being a dick. its a lot more about availability though so sometimes i have to roll or spar with someone 20-40 pounds lighter sometimes i get lucky and get to do it with someone 20-40 pounds heavier, because anyone can toss around a little guy, but i think its so much better to practice with someone bigger so you make sure youre doing your technique right.
    test
  5. Ben Official

ohhh ok so your really new... yea man, if you ever have any questions or want to know good moves / combos / techniques from certain positions or are getting stuck let me know... i also have some great dvd's i can burn (REALLY great dvds) and books to recommend.

i dont mind rolling with the super heavy guys, its just when they dont know what they are doing and try to just squirm and muscle their way into shit that it gets annoying, but at the same time it allows me to go harder sometimes which can be relieving. when i first started i actually broke some ribs because a literally 400 pound fatty fell and landed right on top of me. i havent seen him back since haha.

where are you at? what school and who do you train under? my whole life is jiu jitsu right now. i fucking love it to death.

i think my size is an advantage. im extremely hard to tap, and am extreeeemly fast and explosive for my size, after all jiu jitsu is designed for the smaller guys taking on the bigger ones. the only hard time i get is from this 230 pound purple belt (whos testing for his brown in a month) and when he gets knee up on you, your done haha. theres no escaping when he gets on top. i actually choked him unconscious last week for the first time, because he didnt want to tap to a blue belt. it was ill.

when i first started i got rag dolled by almost everyone in class, but i kept coming back and once i got some good techniques and privates under my belt i became a monster. its the best thing i've done with my life and i dedicate almost all my time to it.

if you ever have any questions about ANYTHING jiu jitsu related let me know
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

i train at Sityodtong in Somerville, MA. Its a branch of the world famous Sityodtong camp in Thaliand, its owned and operated by Kru Mark Dellagrote (Muay Thai coach on The Ultimate Fighter 4). the school did a lot of various martial arts before, (specializing in Muay Thai) but has now become a full MMA camp. UFC Fighter Kenny Florian (black belt in bjj) is one of the instructors there, but he deals with the more advanced guys, UFC fighter Patrick Cote is also a regular there and has been training for his fight at the next UFC "Respect"
    test
  7. Ben Official

but who do you train under?
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

i dont even know the guys name to be honest dude, theres no belt system; its 100% no-gi for 100% MMA. I honestly think Kenny Florian is the highest ranked guy that trains/teaches there.
    test
  9. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Ross advocates using both bodyweight and weights..but keep in mind you don't need weights to develop max. strength, you can use strenuous bodyweight exercises.

Resistance is resistance.
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

nah i know. for a while i didnt even have a weight bench or anything, all i could do was various pushups and situps, and i got in good shape/was able to maintain what i gained from using weights also.
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Um, yes, you do.
    test
  12. Ben Official

i think he said maximum strength, you cut off the strength part... and he is right.
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

i think both bodyweight and freeweight exercises are great and i apply them both to my workouts. i dont think you can do either one or the other, if you want the best results you have to do both and of course cardio.
    test
  14. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

How so? You can develop max. strength with just your bodyweight as long they are strenuous movements. You can do one-armed pull ups, one-armed pushups, one legged squats, handstand pushups, etc.

You can also use iso's.
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

this reminds me, i have to buy a pull up bar
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.