adding running

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LiveFromThe781, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

im sure all those are great workouts but i think some things are just rediculous, like walking around with a boulder...wtf is the point of that...some mma workouts are great, some are just flat out silly.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

i think they are far from silly... those are my favorite type of work outs and they work out so many more muscles than free weights can
    test
  3. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Workout 1:

5 dumbbell snatches per arm
    5 dumbbell swings
    10 burpees

treat that as one circuit. Complete 5 circuits as fast as you can without any rest at all.

Workout 2:

5 pull ups
    10 medicine ball slams
    15 burpees
    20 jumping jacks

Treat that as one circuit. Complete 10 circuits as fast as you can without any rest.

Workout 3:

100 burpees
    Tabata pushups
    Tabata squats

Honestly man, there are so many ways you can make up your own workouts for conditioning. Just play around with some exercises. You can also do hill sprints or interval running. Try something like this:

800 meters * 4 sets with 60-90 seconds rest between each set(run but pace yourself, 800 meters obviously isn't a sprint, but try to keep up as fast a pace as possible)

50 meter sprint * 4 sets - Sprint the 50 meters, jog back to the starting line at a medium pace, sprint it again, jog back, and so on.

Try playing with the numbers.
    test
  4. Ben Official

^ atta boy... thats a good one for starters for sure

personally i think jumping jacks are useless, they just dont tire me but thats a great start to circuit training right there. which is the best. i would personally switch the dumbbells for kettle balls
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

im definately going to have to try these out ...after i figure how to fit them in my workout routine
    test
  6. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I don't understand the appeal of MMA. Sometimes it's cool, but, what the fuck. Everyone and their mom wants to be a cage fighter now.
    test
  7. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

They definitely won't tire out many people, but in that particular circuit, it acts as active rest from the more strenuous movements like the pull ups and burpees. Those first two circuits I posted seem easy, but they are so fucking brutal. As you keep on going and going and the fatigue keeps adding up, it's crazy.
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

because its fun and the fastest growing sport right now. its like modern day gladiators. ..not like that bullshit from the 80s. anyway there was also a point in time when everyone wanted to be a boxer, its definately dropped in popularity as far as a spectator sport but half the people i know used to box as a kid.

so yeah, the reason MMA is taking off so much right now is because its way more entertaining and combative than boxing (or any other sport) and its a ton of fun to participate in.
    test
  9. Ben Official

i dont understand people who dont like mma
    test
  10. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I don't find most MMA entertaining. Grappling, holds, and submissions bore me to death. I've had some friends who do local events and matches show me some stuff and I just can't get into it.

Just not my thing I suppose.

I'd much rather have a boxing or kickboxing match with someone than MMA.
    test
  11. Ben Official

as naive as that may be to me now, i completely understand where you are coming from. when i first got into ufc, i used to hate when the fight went to the ground. i'd be like "aww man, stand them back up, quit that gay shit, this is boring". i would love to watch the knock outs and hated when it ended in a submission.

then i learned about royce gracie, and i began watching the ufc classics (ufc 1, 2, 3,4) and i was like "wow... the smallest guy in the tournament is beating everybody and not breaking a sweat, there is no competition for his technique"... then i learned about rickson (i.e. in his movie, "choke"), about royler, renzo, and other jiu jitsu practicioners like bj penn and saulo ribeiro. i realized from the classic ufc's that if people only train in one thing, then jiu jitsu will win just about every time... so i was like damn... i kinda didn't wanna believe it, but then the more i learned the more interested i got in it.

now i love when the fight goes to the ground. i wait for it to go to the ground.
    test
  12. LiveFromThe781

if its just one guy slowly getting position and the other guy isnt doing a whole lot to defend then yea ground is boring, and yea most ground matches end up that way. but when you get 2 fast paced technicians then you got a good match, ground or standing. prime example would be Karo Parisyan vs Nick Diaz, which was one of the most entertaining and technical fights ive ever seen.
    so yeah ground can be boring unless the guys are really good/energetic. but stand up fights can be boring too, 1,2 here, block, jab...1,2 that can be boring too, and look at boxing, its nothing like how it used to be, much slower pace unless you watch the little scrappy mexicans who fight at like 115.
    basically it all depends on the pace of the fight, fans dont want to see a slow paced fight, and unfortunately for the fans not every fighter conditions himself well enough to keep up a high energy fight and sometimes theyre just trying to play it safe (example, Josh Koschek vs Nick Diaz) but boring guys dont come back to the ring, in the big leauges it isnt about just winning, you have to put on a good show. Dana White(owner of UFC) says that hed rather see you lose and put on a good show than be boring and win, and in Pride they actually penalize you and take money away from your purse if youre going too slow.
    i think right now the best promoter for entertaining fights is WEC. i was a little skeptical about it before i saw any of their fights but when i tuned in i was like holy shit these guys are fuckin hungry. every single fight was a 10x faster pace than the UFC or even Pride.

there is a promoter for kickboxing..i cant think of the name, all these new things just sprung up recently and most of them suck...whatever the thing Chuck Norris sponsors, its pure kickboxing, but instead of an octagon or ring, they fight in like an inflated circle..it looks like something youd find at 4 year olds birthday party and the fights are even more boring because if u go out of the circle, or fall, they restart you...kickboxing sucks..no elbows, no knees totally boring. then theres K-1 which ive never watched but i think its kickboxing too, but hey do what you want, for every fan that watches MMA theres one who doesnt, i dont care if ppl like it or not i just hate when they say its "gay"..like yeah id like to see you try and say that after an elbow dislocates your jaw. or theyll say that and ill be like..well, i do that stuff too, so that means youre calling me gay? all of sudden after that their story changes..ugh owell i just wish people would be more respectful, especially when they wouldnt last a session at the gym or a round in the ring.
    test
  13. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

I admire the skill it takes to grapple, and I enjoy occasionally watching UFC, but I'd take boxing anyday. And guys, let's not turn this into a boxing vs MMA thread. I've seen threads like this a million times on other boards and it never turns out to be a good thing.

All fighters deserve respect for what they put themselves through - regardless of style.
    test
  14. Ben Official

lol, i would die if i had to read another boxing vs mma discussion... i dont think anyone was comparing them...
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

nah im not comparing boxing to mma, well i am but not saying one is BETTER than the other, im saying that MMA today is at the popularity of boxing in its hey-day im also saying that the popularity of boxing today has significantly declined, a lot of people think its gotten boring and would prefer to watch MMA instead. but nah im not saying theres anything wrong with boxing as a sport/martial art it helps a lot with punching and cardio, and some good rope techniques too, iiithey offer a boxing class at my MMA gym anyway. i still watch classic boxing on EPSN but 90% of the fights today are shit.

i did say the only televised kickboxing promoter sucks. and ill take Muay Thai over boxing and kickboxing anyday. 8 > 2 8 > 4
    test
  16. C.G.

C.G. C.G. Productionz

wat are u tryna get outta ur running? and watre u training for? i usually do my sprints, hill sprints or jump roping, then body weight excersises, and a mini workout later for my hands, calves (unless i jumped rope) and neck. but thats for boxing, so it all depends wat ur workouts like
    test
  17. C.G.

C.G. C.G. Productionz

guyanese, u ever read infinite intensity?
    test
  18. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

lol, those workouts i posted were from infinite intensity

i have infinite intensity and never gymless
    test
  19. LiveFromThe781

i added one of those to my carido workout yesterday, "workout 1" it was pretty fun...so you got them from somethign called infinite intensity? ill have to check that stuff out

and by my workouts im trying to just improve my cardio and burn off whatever fat i have...i want abs like the guy from 300. so yesterday i did

10 mins jump roping
    12 mins run/jog mix
    20 minutes ab workout,,,(calves were killing me after the run combined with the leg workout from the day before so i figured id give them some time to rest)
    then the workout guyanese king posted of 5 dumbell lifts, 10 dumbell raises, 10 burpees and 20 jumping jacks x5
    test
  20. C.G.

C.G. C.G. Productionz

oo tru. im about to get never gymless, i dont know if im gonna be able to afford a gym membership anymore so i gotta see
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.