adding running

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LiveFromThe781, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

LiveFromThe781, what EXACTLY are your goals?
    test
  2. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Yuuuup. You never hear a boxer who just lost a match say "I wish I could've bench pressed 5 pounds more". It's always "I wish I had done more conditioning".

In combat sports, conditioning is king.
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

Thats cool, muay thai is my favorite, and i believe by far the most effective stand up fighting style. i train both gi and no gi. im leaving tomorrow for the naga tournament in ohio, and ill be competing in both gi and no gi and for the absolute division as well. yeah, going to thailand would be awesome for some muay thai. there is NOTHING better than going to the place where it is in their culture. im going to brazil in a few weeks to live and train with my master for about 5 weeks, and am going again in december, and then am going to take a semester to study abroad in brazil, in a couple semesters where ill probably do less studying and more training. in brazil, jiu jitsu is like football here. it is insanely competitive and there are competitions 2-3 times a week, i can't wait to get out there. combat sports are the shit.
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

^where abouts in brazil? let me know if you plan on going to Recife lol, and good luck on your competition dude.

ps what weight do you fight at?
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

my goals are: to be in great shape in terms of show and go...i want to have superior endurance and cardio while still being a fucking beast. i guess the closet thing i could compare it to would be Sean Sherk, the guy is just a giant muscle with muscles and tons of power who also has great endurance. ive put some more thought into it myself anyway, and what ive decided to add is pretty much this:

do better scheduling i.e, set days for muscle groups

start powerlifting, squats, deadlifts, etc...this will help make my legs/kicks a lot stronger and increase my overall power too

HIIT training...(question how many days per week should i do HIIT running?)

aside from that its just gonna be more about me getting a little stricter with schedules. im sure i will learn new techniques and workouts as time goes on which i usually do.
    test
  6. Ben Official

rio de janeiro. and where is recife?

thanks, i just got back... 1st place gi, 1st place no gi, and 3rd place absolute! if you dont know what absolute division is its no weight class, and its intended for the big guys but i figured i already got first place in gi, first place in no gi, why not? lol i was fighting against guys literally twice my size, it was rough but 3rd is damn good for a 149 pounder!!

yeah, i fought at 149 this time, im going to stay at this weight for next weekend's C3 tournament and after that im going up a weight class to around 157.

i got 2 bad ass katana swords for the 2 first place wins, they are dope haha.
    test
  7. LiveFromThe781

damn 1st place in both events, congragulations dude. and its pretty damn impressive you came in 3rd for fighting guys twice your size. how long have you been training?
    test
  8. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

HIIT doesn't always have to be running. Incorporate variety into them (Burpee's, sled-dragging, etc). I have lists and lists of HIIT workouts. Do you want me to post some?

That said, it honestly depends on your work capacity. If you are just starting yourself on HIIT, I'd say stick to around 1-2 sessions per week. Since you are training for MMA, skill work ALWAYS comes first. You don't want to feel too weak from too much high intensity work that you can't even spar properly the next day. You want to go in still feeling fresh. So like I said before, stick with 1-2 sessions per week and as you progress, you can add in another session. Sometimes less is more.

PS: Try to add in a solid GPP routine as well.
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

yea posting some HIIT workouts would be nice, i just started MMA too, and i only have enough time in the week for 3 classes...(my work schedule sucks) all i do is go to work, train, workout, sleep.
    test
  10. Ben Official

you need to get cardio in every day, at least i do, because if i skip even a day or 2 it falls way off. its one of those things where i have to consistently train hard and push the limit, or else my limit will fall down if i take a break. you can do hiit with any type of workout really, you just need to know how to apply it according to your personal limits. this can be kind of hard to do if your by yourself since hard cardiovascular exercise is 90% mental. you may think you cant do more, but you can go way more after you think you can't.

thats why i think i do so well when i compete, is because i know no matter who im facing, i KNOW they didnt train half as hard as i did, so it gives me a mental and physical edge. i can fight 15 matches in one day and still be good to go. i think cardio and mental capacity are the 2 biggest barriers for mma. i look at it as the only person that can beat me is me. if i let exhaustion take over and i give up, i lose. the harder you punish yourself when you train, the harder you punish your opponent in the fight, so i think cardio is the most important yet overlooked aspect of mma. hard time all the time as my trainer/coach tells me.

oh, and to answer your question i am a blue belt, so i have been doing it for awhile but i still have a long way to go. im going until i get black and im not stopping there, but when i get to purple i'll give muay thai a lot more attention than i am now.
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

i agree with you on the philosophy that the only person that can beat you is yourself, especially in mma. if i train harder, and have more focus and determination you cant beat me. if i dont practice my technique and dont train hard for my conditioning then ill lose. its like if i go a couple rounds and get exhausted its not because of you, its because of me not training properly and if i get knocked out, its because i didnt practice my technique as much as i should have.

like right now im just starting out, so skill-wise im pretty low on the ladder but as far as conditioning goes, i dont think anyone in my gym can fuck with me. i just love going there and learning how to do everything, i might not have everything perfect my first try, but once i learn something, i retain it pretty well. so i cant wait to move up enough to start competing. i think next month im going to try to work less so i can train more for MMA..or maybe the month after..because money is tight right now lol.

and yea man muay thai is fuckin awesome. mma training is just so fun and addictive haha i love the shit, i really need my friend to sign up so i can practice my techniques with him at home more.
    test
  12. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Not being funny, but the two people who 'know fucking everything about gaining mass' are two of the smallest people in this forum.
    test
  13. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Who are you referring to? I can only assume I'm one of them considering the back and forth between me and Ben?

I will agree though @190 pounds I should definitely be heavier, I'll hit 200 or 205 by the end of the year most likely. Considering before a month ago I had barely touched a weight for 5 or 6 months I maintained most of my weight pretty well.

I disagree though that a person can't have knowledge in regards to a subject matter unless they've applied it to themself or had an experience to what they're suggesting to others.
    test
  14. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I'm not trying to criticise your progress, just your attitude on here. I don't debate you and Ben know a fair bit about the topic(s), I mean, I've asked about a lot of stuff in here.

I'm just saying, there's no definitive method to anything relative to fitness, yet sometimes the pair of you approach a topic as if there is.
    test
  15. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Scientist are fucking huge.
    test
  16. Ben Official

Lol, I'm 5 8 155 and im sticking here, i dont want to gain or lose anything except when i have to cut weight for competition.

i'm small but im in perfect shape. i know there are very few people that train as hard as i do, and i KNOW going into competitions there is nobody who trained half as hard as me.

155 is a good weight for me, i can go up or down at will but for my height, im at optimal weight for power, speed, explosion, endurance and im in the best shape of my life.

i know a lot about gaining weight, when i have to lose it i do it the wrestling way, by cutting fast and hard which isnt what most people here try to do so i'm not great at giving advise about that. but my trainer/coach is 5 10 and 158, and this is ideal for what we do.
    test
  17. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Perhaps not definitive, but there are definitely widely accepted approaches that are for the most part agrred upon in how to go about achieving certain goals.

For example when it comes to gaining mass, cutting, circuit training, endurance, etc, I think general principles to each of these aren't up for dispute. Of course each individual needs to tweak or adjust based on their own needs or how their body reacts, but the base for each of these are usually, generally the same. To gain muscle and mass, you need to eat more and lift heavy, stay in an anbolic state, and so on. This is definitive. You will not gain muscle or mass by eating less or lifting light. Basic principles are applied to each of the general goals in relation to fitness.

Different training methods, nutrient timing, exercise splits may be disputed but I still think the basics will always remain. It's just the details which are up for discussion
    test
  18. wow i weight 260... my main goal is to loose 30 lbs

i seen some fighters that are 215 and look skinny as a bean pole
    test
  19. LiveFromThe781

^if youre talking about mma its because most fighters rarely touch weights. majority of them are more focused on cardio training than resistance training (not saying they dont use weight training at all, its just not that often) most fighters you see that are jacked probaly come from a wrestling background, Sean Sherk, Kevin Randellman, some other black guy..i cant think of his name but he lost a lot of fights via triangle choke and kncoked out a school teacher on their UFC debut in like 30 seconds.
    test
  20. Ben Official

lol, rich franklin ko'd by anderson silva

a lot of them use weights, they just arent body builders. but cardio is definitely the most important.

a lot of fighters use not actual free weights or machines but do tons of better workouts like i described somehwere before... squats with a tire, d ball exercises, kettle balls, a lot of those because they are great for circuit training.

fedor does it, liddell and his whole camp do it, cro cop, and many others. i think these workouts are best.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.