adding running

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LiveFromThe781, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

so im thinking of adding a run after my workouts aiming for 5 minute jog/ 10 minute sprint/ 5 minute jog the good thing is i also live in a really hilly area but anyway i was wondering if doing that after every workout would be too excessive? especially if im working out 6 days a week.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

do it before, not after. just do a cool down jog after.
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I'd definitely do it after, especially if you're going to be sprinting? You want to have maximum energy for weight lifting as to avoid injury and a catabolic state . You do too much cardio before a weight lifting session and you risk some mean catabolism, it's just completely counter productive.

I'd do light cardio for about 5 minutes before a workout, then after your workout hit your 15 or 20 minute cardio.

BUT, OPTIMALLY, you should be completely seperating your cardio and your weight lifting. 5-6 hours in between.

Depending on your goals as well, 6 days may be excessive, especially if you're planning on interval running every session.
    test
  4. Mighty GK

Mighty GK omg 2012

can you explain what benefits this would have?...cuz I'm curious
    test
  5. Ben Official

if your trying to gain mass, many actually believe its best to separate your cardio and your lifting by as close to 24 hours as possible, as the 2 are counter productive. i personally disagree, as i go up and down in weight classes all the time, right now im going up 20 pounds, and i still do circuit training, incorporating tons of cardio in each workout. its the way my trainer gets me in shape, and he always incorporates tons of cardio into my workouts whether the goal is to gain or to lose weight. if your only doing a 5 minute jog, 10 sprint, 5 jog that doesnt seem too hard to do before you lift, of course depending on what shape your in
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

in in great shape anyway, but i was looking into that HIIT stuff so i figured id do something similiar to that before my weights then after id do the jog/sprint

as of right now i dont do any running in my workout routine so thats why i wanna test it out at 5/10/5 but my legs arent bad either since i semi-recently ran on a treadmill a couple miles and didnt feel a thing the next day and i was hovering between 5-7

and my goal from doing all this is to gain muscle while losing fat..i mean im not fat at all but i just think losing 1 - 2 pounds of fat would make my muscles stand out so much moreplus my workout routine lacks running anyway so it was something i was gonna have to incorporate sooner or later anyway.
    test
  7. Ben Official

i would definitely, definitely not do it after. dont do cardio after your lifting. if your going to do that your throwing away your lifting. trust me. if your going to do it on the same day, do it before or you wont see any gains from the lifts, and if you do they will be minimized significantly.
    test
  8. Ben Official

i think i read your post wrong, you said you were going to do the cardio before the weights and after do a cool down jog? you can do that, just make sure to minimize the cool down as much as possible. if your trying to improve cardio and mass, incorporate it into your workout. that is best. do like 2 minutes of sprint, then go right to a lift, then maybe directly to another lift, then rest 30 and back to the sprints, and do that 4 times, then sprint again, a different lift cycle, sprint again, etc. its called circuit training.

it sounds like you want to gain muscle while also keeping great cardio. thats what i do, i sometimes do really hard cardio before as a "warm up", then i also incorporate it into my circuits. for me i use the jump rope mostly, but you can run sprints too.
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

^ yea i did some jump roping in the middle of a workout before and it was pretty good...i usually do it after for 10 mins but after what ive read from this ill stick to doign it either before my workout or incorporate in the middle somwhere. ..i wish i could do sprints in the middle of it but its a little harder for me since i workout at home with no treadmill.
    test
  10. Ben Official

why dont you go outside and do ladders or sprint around your house? the place i train at, i train outside sometimes with kettle balls, d balls and shit like that, and ill either jump rope or do laps around the building.
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

^ cus my house has a fence lol
    test
  12. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I think it's up to personal preference really. Bodybuilders will you this, Crossfit kids will tell you that, MMA fighters will tell you another.

I think cardio before is going to put you into a catabolic state when you're lifting and your body's going to start releasing cortisol like mad(see: fat).

It's also dependant on your goals. Fat loss is not your primary goal, gaining muscle mass is, therefore, your BEST choice, is to seperate your cardio and weight lifting completely, either by days or at least 6-8 hours. There is no dispute, this is your best option far and above any other.... As I've said before, cardio as soon as you wake up would be good as your glycogen stores are empty and your body will feed off your body fat for fuel.

Please explain to me how cardio after lifting would be detrimental to gains????
    test
  13. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

What I used to do was break my body down into a 4 day split. Then run every day in between. I'd take one day completely off because I didn't want to run the day after a leg workout, but if you have access to a pool, you're golden. So I'd run 30 minutes a day, 2-3 times every 7 days.

A lot of people don't know, but running backwards works your butt, thighs and calves. Running normal works your shins, and hamstrings. So I'd throw in some backward running on grass every 3rd day or so for balance and to keep things fresh.

Make sure you're eating right though, or else you'll get burnt out real quick.
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

well its gonna be hard for me to seperate everything like that. i just started a job and my schedule is pretty hectic, i also just started MMA so i really only get a chance to life when i have available time. im gonna ask the people at my gym this too..but if im lifting an hour before i hit the MMA gym are my lifting results going to diminish? its not like intense cardio there, but when youre doing punching and kicking drills along with wrestling it can get pretty tiring, especially considering how hot it is there. but i really wanna keep my lifting, for one because its a hobby i enjoy, i like how it makes me look, and it comes in handy in MMA when you can completely overpower someone.
    test
  15. Ben Official

first let me say, your not going to get all experts to agree on this subject, however i have done quite a bit of research in support of not doing excessive cardio directly after a hard lifting session. now, this is only if your really trying to put on mass and maximize bulking and strength gains. basically, guys who are trying to maximize muscular gain, especially those who have a tough time building muscle, have no business doing cardiovasuclar exercise according to many experts.

too much cardio will hamper your ability to add muscle. resistance training and traditional cardiovascular exercise are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the adaptations they bring about. therefore, doing a high volume of both will only keep you from accomplishing your goals.

following up a hard lifting session with a 30 minute run isnt exatly a recipe for getting huge. your muscles need a little more time than that to recuperate.

i agree with many points you made...

"its dependent on your goals" exactly, i only say not to do cardio after lifting because it sounded like he was trying to maximize muscle gains.

i also agree that to maximize muscle gains, you need to seperate your cardio as much as possible from your lifting sessions (i have read as close to 24 hours is best)

if your training mma, you want to be in great shape endurance wise. i train mma also, my primary focus is brazilian jiu jitsu which i train 8 days a week, its basically all i do when i dont work ,eat, or sleep. the classes are pretty intense, but i do my workouts usually right after the class, he might let me rest 15 minutes and then we start training hard. after that, its a warm up, then straight to circuit training where he incorporates strength, resistance, and cardio into different circuits. this way i improve my strength, my endurance, my speed, and my explosiveness. after this, i can usually barely walk out of the gym. the last thing i would want to do is go for a run. i believe this is best for training mma. if your just trying to bulk up and have no goals endurance wise, it is best to minimize cardio as much as possible, especially if you are a hard gainer. on your off days from lifting, i would highly recommend swimming, as it is probably the best cardiovascular exercise out there (my favorite is jump rope but i also swim when i can). so bottom line, if your training mma, try to incorporate the endurance training into your work out.
    test
  16. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

As Mel Siff says, this is the order in which you work on certain qualities unless your workouts are spaced out by at least 6 hours and you have a high work capacity:

1) skill word
    2) speed/explosive training
    3) max. strength training
    4) strength-endurance training
    5) conditioning
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

yea i definately want to have outstanding endurance and cardio for mma and i definately want to remain strong and keep getting stronger, but my gym doesnt seem to use any type of weight lifting in class, however there is an "open gym" day, because there is weight equipment there..i guess ppl just dont like to use it or somethign idk..good thing i work out at home haha. oh and if youre training mma too you should definately take some Muay Thai classes aswell as BJJ
    test
  18. Ben Official

actually i do, bjj is my main focus but i also take muay thai privates with a teacher around here, there arent any really good muay thai classes, but this guy has trained many mma fighters and is a fucking excellent muay thai teacher. for now until i get my purple belt, jiu jitsu is my main focus, its what i love to do and i think its the most important thing to master. but i still train muay thai, just not nearly as much. as soon as i get my purple belt ill put more attention on the muay thai, but for now its 95% jiu jitsu.
    test
  19. LiveFromThe781

do you do gi or no-gi bjj? if youre training for mma you should go for no gi since its focuses more on situations youre likely to encounter in the ring. thats cool youre doing muay thai too, the guy who runs my mma gym was the muay thai coach for Randy Couture's team on The Ultimate Fighter 4 (Mark DellaGrotte) he also has a program setup where he takes (paying) students to Thailand for 2 weeks to train more "authentic" since he actually speaks Thai and has connections to one of the best Muay Thai schools there. Its also where Kenny Florian and a few other UFC fighters train too, pretty good place.
    test
  20. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

It depends on what you're doing too. I think way too many people in sports place too much emphasis on strength and not enough on conditioning. Even say in MMA, my program would be good because what I'm basically trying to do is put on quality muscle. I want muscle density, hard lean musculature, not big soft muscle (unnecessarily heavy). I'm trying to be as close to solid muscle as possible. You can not do that without sufficient cardio. Meanwhile you're actually building great endurance, which in just about every physical sport is the most important factor. Strength means jack shit if you're tired. It would be great to be Mike Tyson, walking around knocking out people with one hit, but the fact as Mike Tysons are 95% born, not made.

I'd rather be the guy that's 160 at 6% BF, than the guy that's 160 at 12% BF.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.