Abstaining from worldly pleasures in the pursuit of religious goals

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by M-theory, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Ascetism

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=asceticism

"Asceticism (from the Greek: ἄσκησις, áskēsis, "exercise" or "training" in the sense of athletic training) describes a lifestyle characterized by the aim of pursuing religious and spiritual goals."

"Those who practice ascetic lifestyles do not consider their practices virtuous in themselves but pursue such a lifestyle in order to encourage, or "prepare the ground" for, mind-body transformation."
    - quoted from Wikipedia

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asceticism)

To paraphrase the Bible, "What shall it profit a man who gains the whole world and loses his soul?"

My related question: What worldly traditions/practices or objects of the modern world do you intuitively (i.e. by your gut feelings or instincts) stay away from as a means to stay holy? I'd like to know what things do you think everyone should cut themselves off from, that may not be explicitly stated or singled out in your religion because they are "new"? e.g. horror flicks (keeping evil out of your sight), etc.
    test
  2. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Interesting. Id say anything u feel in ur heart is objectionable u should try to stay away from. However usually when people finally attempt to change the way they traditionally would live its commonly at a low point so many times theres many things to overcome. U gotta take one step at a time tho so u start with things that u know are wrong an go from there.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

This answer satisfies me. Sounds like sage advice.

I'm really not even sure I can follow up on it, it's such a satisfying answer.

Still open to reading anyone else's take. But this one is good.
    test
  4. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I would just like to mention that I plan on posting many more topics with a similar format to this. So maybe when things get up and running in a more complete fashion, we can compile thread and stick it to the top of the forum.
    test
  5. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

word. 100% of Everyone believe something so everyone should be able to contribute their views to the forum
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. miscreant

miscreant 1996 was the shit

blasphemy

talking to cops

both are forbidden in my eyes
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.