A post 2000 very good album will still be better than a classic from the 90's...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Butch Coolidge, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge New Member

....because a very good album from 2000 must have a musical aspect to deserve this title.
    And in 1994, productions were rap productions (boring, repetitive...) and not musical instrumentals.

Few exemples:

Quality>Illmatic
    The Documentary>The Infamous
    Chronic 2001>The Chronic
    Be>Resurrection
    The Giancana Story>4,5,6.
    The Dynasty>Reasonable Doubt.
    Encore>Ready To Die.

Don't get me wrong, any of my recent exemples are classics (just dope albums) but they're better than that old classic shits.
    test
  2. Broken English

Broken English Flyest Kiwi on Earth

test
  3. Butch Coolidge

If Quality had been dropped in 94, then it'd be considered as classic.
    If Illmatic would be dropped tomorrow, it'd be a fuckin' deceitful album.

Rap evoluted faggots...

Learn.
    test
  4. X sample

X sample New Member

you have horrible opinions...
    test
  5. jaykay

jaykay New Member

evolved*
    test
  6. Oral_Spunkey

Oral_Spunkey New Member

he he *evoluted. but yo, how you gonna say Quality is better then illmatic, or one that made me laugh real hard was Encore > Ready 2 Die...
    test
  7. da big K

da big K give me points please.

Butch only makes threads like this for attention. Simply stop replying people.
    test
  8. Blemickis

Blemickis I get computers puting

I'd only agree with Dre, Common & G Rap's Albums and even that is debatable
    test
  9. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

his logic is correct. if illmatic was relesed this yr it wuld not get the same love. but some of his comparrsions are wack as fuck.
    test
  10. wyn 23 QB

wyn 23 QB New Member

quality doesnt come near to illmatic, and the dynasty isnt even an album compared to RD
    test
  11. Butch Coolidge

Musically, Quality is betta than illmatic.
    test
  12. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Are you high?
    test
  13. Parental_Advisory

Parental_Advisory Click Click Pow

He said Dynasty was better than Reasonable Doubt...

Dead Presidents > Any song on Dynasty
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I honestly have to agree with him... it's true

people are in denial but I've thought this for a while.. production has gone up and MC's have become more "TECHNICAL RHYMERS" than back in the day... with the exception of a FEW TRACKS AND ALBUMS, a great song today is better than a classic from back in the day... the only difference is that the tracks from back in the day are in our blood now so we have a hard time believing this
    test
  15. vandalism

vandalism the king

holy shit son

- Nas's rhymes on Illmatic were more intricate and verbal than any shit out today
    - Nas's beats on Illmatic were just as 'musical' as beats today
    - 'Encore>Ready To Die'?!

the fuck have you been smokin?
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

LMFAO... as for that, that's just retarded... Encore was horrible... sorry 'bout my last post cuz I didn't read the specifics he posted... but I mean GREAT ALBUMS TODAY ARE BETTER THAN GREAT ALBUMS BACK THEN....

Encore's wack as fuck and that took Em outta my favorite MC spot....

and Ilmatic beats weren't that complex... there aren't a lotta layers of instrumentals and changes in drum pattens... they're fairly simple, ASIDE FROM A COUPLE TRACK... as for rhymes, they're not that ahead of the best MC's today... it was just WAYYYYYYYY AHEAD of it's time cuz nobody at that time was spittin' like that....
    test
  17. Kite

Kite New Member

Co-sign. Somewhat.

If The Game's album with the exact same production that it has today would of dropped during the height of the West Coast, it would of been considered a Classic album, no doubt about it.

Its just the evolution of music, every genre has gone through it. Are the albums of today better than the albums from yesterday? No. Those classic albums are classic's because they're considered "ahead of there time" they did something that no one has ever done before. Today when an album is released its compared all the albums before it and it has to come harder then ever before.

Those classic albums that you mentioned are not classic's because there will NEVER be a better album, they're classic albums because they changed the game. They're 100% responsible for what hip hop is today. Last thing I wanna say before I end this is, just think of it like this if you take someone that has never heard Illmatic, has no idea who Nas is and have him listen to the album, and then have that same person under the same cirumstances listen to Kweli's Quality album, and then ask him which he preferred? I would guess that most people under those circumstances would say Quality.

IMO
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

AGREE 100%, even though I didn't think Game's album is dope, I think it would be considered a classic at the height because he rhymes better than the basic shit from back in the day and the beats are DOPE
    test
  19. bfire

bfire New Member

I kinda like that old school raw, simple loop sound to be honest. Thats hiphop, thats the sound i grew up with. Everything is becoming very electronic and futuristic which i guess isnt a bad thing since every genre has its change...but thats jus my personal opinion. Now the equipment has drastically improved, so makin loops these days jus doesnt cut it, you gotta add the extra elements.
    test
  20. illest brother

illest brother Registered User

I have to call bullshit on every single one of those examples you just listed.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.