A man's rights in the case of abortion

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by Shit with corn in it IRM'S BITCH, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does a man have any right over the decision of a woman having an abortion? Say he wanted to keep the baby and she didn't. Lets say he even offered a safe environment for the child when it was born and also to carry all responsibilty for the child.

Should she then agree to have the baby,or does the fact that it is her who will be housing the baby overide any rights that he has?
    test
  2. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN Ray of Sunshine

Should he have some rights?? Yes. Is there a logical way to give him those rights? No. You can't force a woman to carry a baby because someone else wants to give it everything it needs after it is born. However, I do feel that men should have a say in the situation of abortion.. but I can't fathom how that would even work out.
    test
  3. Gotti23

Gotti23 Come 2 the darkness

A man should be the only one to decide if the women should abort the baby weather he punches/kicks her in the stomach or throws her down some stairs I think the man should make the final decision on that.
    test
  4. AlecT0

AlecT0 Bone, baby bone

Also depends on the situation and wether or not they're pro life or pro choice.
    test
  5. Short2003

Short2003 AbsoluteHotness

Stop being so ignorant in here... It's now a bannable offense..
    test
  6. Its not just someone else, it is the father who has half of the responsibilty and hand in creation of the child.

Would forcing a woman to have a baby, lets say by a judge be wrong? It seems to me that, if they were both consenting to have sex, and she became preganant but didnt want it, yet he did, the correct moral decision would be for her to carry their baby and then hand it over to the parent who did not want the abortion.
    test
  7. INesia

INesia Slug's 4th cousin ^_~

It is legitimate to expect men to play a role in taking responsibility for contraception and childcare. However, pregnancy is something that, at this stage in scientific development at any rate, only women can undergo. It affects women's bodies, their careers and their lives. An unwanted pregnancy may have a devastating effect on a woman and it is entirely legitimate for her to seek to end that pregnancy on her terms.
    test
  8. What about the devastating effects of an unwanted abortion for the man in this circumstance? Everything seems to be on a womans terms but logically speaking , it is not just her decision, is it? Pregnancy, affects every area for the man, except the body. The man is asking that she take the responsibilty of having the child and he will take responsibilty for the child thereafter. The man is 'always' seen to have shared responsibilty in the making of the child, but if he decides to take responsibilty and follow through with his commitment, it is ultimately her decision. Women force men to pay child support, so why shouldn't a woman be excpected to have the child rather than get rid of it, if one of the parents wants to have, love and care for the child?
    test
  9. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

a man deserves the right to have the baby it was his sperm just like it was her ovaries you cannot do with one or the other....if a man wants the kid and a woman wants an abortion its either because she doesnt wanna give the man what he wants cause if a woman knows you want something even if its a baby they will kill it if they dont like you....or they think they will get fat or whatever....It goes to show alot of women dont have a guilty concious, I would feel sick and depressed for life knowing I took a life that could have been a great person....abortions are selfish...but in case of rape or incest I think they are ok....but women need to wisen up and get their tubes tied I know some women who have gotten pregnant more then once and have had more then 1 abortion like its nothing...no concious and then they blame the man but sex is a womans responsibility...she has to allow him to fuck her she is in all control of it she can give it up to who she wants...unless she is being raped.
    test
  10. misspimp

misspimp a.k.a KATURAH

I Think In Ceartin Situations The Man Should Have A Say. If A Woman Doesnt Want To Keep A Baby But A Man Does, And Makes All Kind Of Promises....usually If A Woman Still Goes Thru With An Abortion Is B/c She Knows That Man Well Enough To Know That He Wont Make Good On Those Promises. And That Is The Only Reason Y I Would Get An Abortion Is If I Knew Someone Would Not Be There To Help Me And I Couldnt Do It Alone.

Now If A Woman Wants To Keep The Baby, But The Man Doesnt.....then Thats Too Damn Bad....and If It Were Up To Me He Would Still Be Responsible For Paying Child Support Too!!!
    test
  11. So the man should have a say, but to what extent? If he is willing to take care of the child she doesnt want, should she have the baby??

What if the man wants to keep it but the woman doesn't? Its not " too damn bad" then is it? There is a double standard going on here. If a man is forced to pay child support, why shouldnt a woman be forced to have his baby, if he is willing to take care of it? That has to be better than not giving the child a life.
    test
  12. b'

b' New Member

it takes two to create, so it should take two to vicerate.
    test
  13. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

Flip the situation and all hell breaks loose

Give a man an actual say in it.
    She wants it.
    He doesn't.
    So can he force her to get an abortion if your logic is in place?
    test
  14. Good point, but this was mainly concerned with the preservation of life. If a man didnt want it, but a woman did, then she should have the right to have it. If the man wants it and the woman does not, then he doesnt have much of a say in the matter does he?

Difficult situation all round it seems
    test
  15. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

Why did you have to flip it back?

I hate when people dont answer the question and ask a question back mostly girls do that. it gets annoying lol.

anyway if a man doesnt want the baby and a woman does....lol 99 percent of the time that woman will keep the baby and when the child grows up tell her kid how that dad didnt want him so she can have the kid hate their dad lol.
    test
  16. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

B/c Vish, my sole purpose on this earth was apparently just to annoy you in this thread ;) lol

Brit..I just can't look at it w/o looking at it the other way. What makes his decision to keep it anymore important than his decision to get rid of it? If you're gonna give one weight for the guy, the other one has to be in place just like it is for women.

There will never be a logical way to go about it. Like Mist said you just can't force a person to carry a baby for 9 months if they don't want/have to. I
    test
  17. E. Fate

E. Fate Guest

Dawg, let it go, I had to learn myself the hardway, that EVERYTHING when it comes to a child, is in HUGE favors to the woman. You pratically have no say in the situation, before and after its born - whether you wanted it or not.
    test
  18. Skrybe

Skrybe ConnectedthruaForeignExch

^
    Which is why there's a bit of ruckus going on right now since some people are trying to change some things about this. I've heard about this on the news, read about it on another board, and now I'm seeing it here. It's interesting (but I think expected) that the reactions to this differ almost right down the middle. So you should know before you even hear my response what my answer to this one is.

I think the stance on abortion (and birth, I guess) in this country isn't to the point where anyone would force a woman to give birth or abort, and I'm not saying it should be - but you CAN force people to do all kinds of things. Luckily we're not the type of society to imprison a woman for aborting a baby without the consent of the man. Unluckily, we ARE the type of society to force a man to pay for a baby that he did not want, simply because the woman did. That's just not right to me, which is why I hope something contradictory to this stance comes down the pipe from this recent situation where people are finally discussing a man's rights in these cases.

The National Center for Men has prepared a lawsuit -- nicknamed Roe v. Wade for Men -- to be filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Michigan on behalf of a 25-year-old computer programmer ordered to pay child support for his ex-girlfriend's daughter.

The suit addresses the issue of male reproductive rights, contending that lack of such rights violates the U.S. Constitution's equal protection clause.

The gist of the argument: If a pregnant woman can choose among abortion, adoption or raising a child, a man involved in an unintended pregnancy should have the choice of declining the financial responsibilities of fatherhood. The activists involved hope to spark discussion even if they lose.

"There's such a spectrum of choice that women have -- it's her body, her pregnancy and she has the ultimate right to make decisions," said Mel Feit, director of the men's center. "I'm trying to find a way for a man also to have some say over decisions that affect his life profoundly."

There you go. What's so hard about that?

Mist & lala, I think you two are taking a "don't care" attitude toward this; which is interesting, because I doubt you'd be feeling that way if a man were taking a "don't care" attitude toward the birth of a child he helped create. But that's just how I see it.
    test
  19. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

I've always said, regardless how much a man begs and plead for the mother to keep or get rid of the baby. When it comes down to that last decision it's always gonna be the mother's choice. Regardless of what the dude thinks.
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

the man has a 50% say since he did half the work but a woman can always sneak to an abortion clinic and have it done without consulting the male. i think the father of the child should have to sign something if a woman wants an abortion aslong as the father is known and isnt a rapist or family member. if the biological parents cant agree than the one who wants the child should take full responsibility and custody for it after birth. if the woman doesnt want to carry the child but the man wants to keep the child than find a serrogate.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.