A lesson for EVERYONE....(and why you need mons lol)

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by AllOrNothinEnt, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starving Artist

Starving Artist New Member

Hey Anon, My Partner Hooks A Sub Up To His Monitors. Does That Distort The Mix?
    test
  2. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yep, it does

adds extra bass that you really dont want when mixing
    test
  3. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Lol, man it's AON, not anon lol

And he hooks a sub TO the mons, or with them?
    test
  4. Starving Artist

Starving Artist New Member

My Bad. I Think W/ Them
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

? im lost as to how that could distort a mix. The distortion comes from overloading the signal not from overlouding the playback medium. but I still wouldnt recccommend using subs if he knows how to read a meter he wont distort them but he will have a false sound coming from his gear.
    test
  6. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

adding a sub doesnt distort the mix.. as long as its a sub that is optional for the monitors..

all it does, is send all the low end frequencies to the sub woofer instead of the subs on the monitors, so it will seperate the sound, all the hi end will go to the tweeters, the kicks an mid range will go to the subs on ur monitors..and the bass will go to your stand alone sub woofer. it just gives you more detailed bass (and mid range becuz the lower frequencies are now going to the sub)
    test
  7. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

ehh...thats what i ment...

lol ;)
    test
  8. MC_Say

MC_Say http:// MC Say

Actually, mons are "nec" cause if u can't mix shit then u wont be able to really use em...
    test
  9. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

wtf is this nonsence?

u cant properly mix without monitors... an u wont be able to learn without them either... so how are they unusable?
    test
  10. Scatta-Brain Genius

Scatta-Brain Genius #

thank you my good sir. i just added a pair of AKG studio headphones to my cart...

then removed it while reading this thread...

and now i'm searching for a good pair of monitors.
    test
  11. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

yyeeeaaahhhhh, either that or it represents a common real life scernio...but who wants that when there mixing, right?

a sub is great for mixing, if you cant truley hear a accurate representation of the lower frequencys how can accuratly manipulate them?
    test
  12. AllOrNothinEnt

Here's the low.

You only want a sub in your set-up, if your using smaller mons, or mons that don't have a good bass response.
    Look for a pretty flat response monitor, and you'll be ok, mons that are hyped in the highs and those with 5" woofers, etc usually need sub's added.

But to Beatstarter, no, you don't want ADDED bass in your mix.
    test
  13. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

great point, where did i say that again though?

i DID say it allows a more accurate representation of the bottom end...not a louder representsation...i'd love you to point me too any standard model of monitor loudspeakers that you feel has a low-mid driver thats capable of reproducing a flat response at frequencys below 80hz?

and when you post a graphic representation of this magic monitors frequency response ill admit im wrong,
    test
  14. AllOrNothinEnt

Did you not say a sub is great for mixing?
    And what did I say?
    You only need a sub if your mons don't put out enough bass, or use smaller woofers.

You dont have to have a sub for mixing, period, maybe beat makers like this, but not for recording.
    test
  15. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

some monitors glorify bass...without a sub.. i use m audio bx8's for production mixing and track mixing...i jus mix it like normal, cuz i like my bass loud, and it ends up a lil louder. works perfect for me :dunno:
    test
  16. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

look, as i said...most drivers in refrence monitors arn't able to reproduce frequencys below 80hz accuratly, and mixing tracks with anything below that point becomes hit and miss, how can you expect to manipulate audio that you cant hear, or hear well?

as for 'beatmakers' no i wouldn't think it would be near as important for them to have a sub as it would be for some one who's tracking, mixing, mastering, whatever with bass guitar, double bass, or any other live instrument with a spectrum extending beyond 80hz...etc

the bottom line is, i NEVER said the sub is there to make bottom end louder, i DID say it's great for mixing, however i DIDNT say it was neccersary to a studio...and i DID say subs are great for accuratly reproducing the low end of the spectrum, WHICH they are...not only that but my first point is also valid! 'your able to manipulate there output to represent a real world situation' maybe not 100% but more so than you could do before you had the sub!
    test
  17. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

dont subs just glorify bass what would be the point in having one isnt it better to just have a monitor that has a good bass response to begin with
    test
  18. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

...from what you've written i can only assume you think that a 6" lo-mid driver can reproduce the same frequencys as a 12" sub driver, the only difference is the 12" is louder...subs are capable of reproducing a whole other world of the spectrum...thats the whole point
    test
  19. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

im not arguing that case kuz ur exactly right but when it comes down to it a sub is really just for bass some treble and mid pass thru it of couse but its really designed to allow u to hear bass so my suggestion is to just get something that sounds even in the first place with a larger woofer of course i mean if u want the added bass sound yea go wtih a sub or a monitor that adds more bass ie punch drunks example but in the end of it all subs are really designed for exploitiing bass sounds are they not?
    test
  20. beatstarter

beatstarter New Member

again, i would love to see this magic driver thats capable of fitting in a refrence monitor cabinet, but some how manages to have a resonably even frequency response from 20hz - + horn crossover point...

so when some-one can come up with the model, make and the graphical frequency response specifications...well, id love to see it...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.