A lesson for EVERYONE....(and why you need mons lol)

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by AllOrNothinEnt, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Monitors are not something you can do without.
    Regardless of how much you want to buy something else, EVERYONE should have them, if your going to record ANYTHING that means ANYTHING to you.

If you've ever taken and burnt a cd full of online cats music, you'll understand this next part.

When you listen to a mainstream cd, then you pop in a net cd, you hear a BIG difference.
    Not just from cats with NO mons, but even cats WITH.

Listen to something Skwirl made, compared to say... an Eminem track.
    The clarity isn't the same, the depth, and sound is off.
    BUT, compare Skwirls to some net mc that DOESNT have mons, and that applys to alot, then you'll see that SAME comparison...and even MOST cats WITH mons...Skwirls music sounds 100x's better.....but why AON?

Because the ONLY way to get an accurate mix, is with mons.
    Even the best headphone's won't cut it, and I'll explain why I just said that.

See, VERY few people on this site have the ears to produce, and NOONE that I have heard so far has the talent to try to mix on headphones...save 1 artist...and Im not sure that he producd it himself, or went to a studio, as I cant get an answer.
    Even with the most trained ear, mixing on headphones is still VERY risky business.
    They won't be as accurate as monitors, and the headphones that are, cost about the same as a pair of decent mons anyways lol.

Sad but true...sure ALOT of cats have talent, that's a given, but out of the mix's I've heard, in the past 4 months, maybe 3-4 came close to what I would consider having been mixed well enough to sell on the street.

ANYONE with a brain, and a computer can mix, but it takes a real golden ear to mix RIGHT.

Some cats don't have it, and never will, but they'll argue non fucking stop how they're shit is "good enough", and it never is.

NEVER accept "good enough".
    Your material should be PERFECT, or it shouldn't come out.
    May seem harsh, and stuck up, but it's not.
    Living by that rule, when you produce, will help you excell in mixing, and never take less than the best you can get, thus making sure your shit at least sounds good, even if it doesnt sound good...if you catch my drift lol.

Floor speakers won't cut it, they color the sound TOO much to monitor on.
    Floor speakers are made to make music sound good.
    YOU DONT want that when your mixing.
    Why AON?

Goddamn...because when your mixing, I guarantee until you've been doing this until your going bald, there is going to be flaws in your recordings...shit happens.
    Hell it happens to me...all the time...but I fix it, and viola, the shit sounds great.
    So understand this...

You need mons, because....

Without them, you cannot...I repeat, CANNOT get an accurate mix..and a NON accurate mix, will sound FUCKED on a car system, shelf system, etc...it'll be muddy, or too harsh, or will be set too far off in the background.
    And you don't want that do you?
    Hell, you may not be the best rapper in the world, but as long as your track sounds like it was done at Def Jam, odds are people will listen to it.

Yep, sad but true, most people listen to the song, because of why?

1. Beat
    2. Hook
    3. Because it's clear, and sounds professional.

MOST kids listening to this shit on the radio don't give a fuck what message Jadakiss has to tell them, long as that shit can make they're car bump, and they can understand the hook well enough to rap with it, they're gonna fall for it.
    I mean, the REAL hip hop heads look for more, hell I do as well...but we ALL know what it's like to hear a catchy ass song, and hear that bass kickin, and we forget WHAT the fuck they said lol.

And hell, that's just ANOTHER tip to help you make it.
    Making music goes well beyond just having it sound good, it needs a catchy hook, a catchy, rememberable beat, and lastly, you have to have a voice made for the genre your going for.
    Toss a demo into a club...those drunk ass ho's don't care that your song is about your girlfriend gettin shot in the eye for suckin a mexican bankers cock..they hear the beat, and vibe to it lol.

So look, I understand alot of people see me as a know it all, or someone who thinks I'm never wrong, and that's just the opposite.
    I've been wrong plenty of times, sometimes I don't know the EXACT way to solve something, so I talk to that person, and try everything I can think of, etc etc
    But the real reason I talk to everyone the way I do, is because the shit works.
    Flat out, if I talked to you in a professional manner, everyone would think Im uppity, and if I talked in non stop net slang, then you would think Im careless, and don't know WHAT the fuck I'm doing.

So take the time, when your doing music, to do it right, regardless how long it takes, because it will be worth it in the end.
    test
  2. teflon edge

teflon edge RETRO²

I'll wait for the next 3 kids to ask if monitors are necessary......
    test
  3. Jaye Mesa

Jaye Mesa He Won't Stop

Yea i've got a question, "AON". Which are better, powered or unpowered monitors?
    test
  4. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

So so so so true...

Yo, this is a great post. This is the reason why I'ma just wait and get these KRK RP8's and get my mixing right.
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

i agree and i mean even bad monitors or cheap ones are better then none at all.
    test
  6. ? THA RIDD ?

? THA RIDD ? New Member

GREAT THREAD IM UPPING THIS JUST FOR THE FACT IT SHOULD BE ON TOP WHERE IT'S SEEN!!!!! ----sticky---??

pzzzzzzzz

? THA RIDD ?
    test
  7. Rascal

Rascal Young Ras

great thread. I have M-Audio's. I need to upgrade to the mackie's though.
    test
  8. Joey Bonez

Joey Bonez Text Album dropping soon

But if your not good at, or dont know a lot about EQ'ing...what is the purpose of hearing the flaws? Cause you want be able to fix them.
    test
  9. AllOrNothinEnt

Joey, if your not good at mixing with mons, imagine what you'd be like WITHOUT them lol.

With mons, you can spot the flaws, and fix them.
    Sure, it does take time for your ears to get used to the mons, and for you to get into a pattern of knowing what sounds good, what doesnt, but without mons, you hear "flaws", and try and fix them, but it STILL wont sound as good, as if you had the mons in the first place.

And, sadly it is true, bad mons are better than no mons...although the mix will still not be what it could be.

As for what's better, passive or active, that's personal preference.
    With passive, you may be able to hear mids or highs,etc slightly better, BUT you also need to buy a seperate amp to power those mons, and good amps arent going to be $100, so cost wise, and quality wise, I stay with active.
    test
  10. Sykda

Sykda New Member

Good thread..

Props on the hook up..
    test
  11. Nucklz

Nucklz Loud Enuff Productions

nice thread...
    test
  12. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

Please tell me that's a joke...
    test
  13. Non$en$e

Non$en$e The Truth

yo this post is real true, cause one time I was trying to mix this song without playing it through my monitors, and it sounded pretty good in the headphones, you know cause it's close to the ear and everything. Then when I finally turned my monitors on and played it through there, I was like wtf...It sounded nothing like how I was hearing through the headphones... So yea this post is very true!!
    test
  14. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

AON to the rescue again, this is definetly a good post it helped me out a lot thanks
    test
  15. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

I just cant imagine Monitors making you hear something completely different than headphones or speakers...like what? Im really off beat and I dont know it b/c I dont have mons???

Im'a have to get some sometime.
    test
  16. Ghetto Vampire

Ghetto Vampire Devil's Son

Dope post man, you are god...

But, say I don't produce shit on my comp...I just do acapellas, etc...I wouldn't need monitors?

Sorry if its a stupid ass question, but hell I need this confirmed from the lord.
    test
  17. AllOrNothinEnt

Bazooka, I know it can take actually having them to understand, but it's the truth.

Ghetto, if you do acapella's on your comp, then answer this....

1. Do YOU put the vocals over a beat?
    2. If so, do you EQ it, or add any effects?

If you answered yes to either, then you need mons, and it would be a good idea to have them, even if you were JUST doing acapellas, so that you can have your recording being as clear, and "lifelike" as possible.
    test
  18. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

Off beat? No. Too much bass....yes. Muddy vocals - annoyingly bright vocals - yes.
    test
  19. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

but Im saying I wouldnt know how to fix a Muddy set of vocals or bright vocals yet...so therefor mons are usless to me.
    test
  20. Non$en$e

Non$en$e The Truth

^^what he's saying is with monitors you'll be able to tell alot more then with headphones, if the beat is drowing you out ie too much bass, or if your vocals are too loud etc. Get it?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.