A few profound questions

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by FarooqHakim, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

yes, that animal bisping.
    test
  2. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Don't tell me you don't think Bisping is a top 5 Middleweight. Let's not be silly.

Bisping > Lombard
    test
  3. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Of course he is, but a person that would make someone like Hector Lombard (or anyone not prone to finishing) fear for their safety? c'mon...

would've been bisping-leben at the worst
    test
  4. Makabreli

Makabreli done

soooo... is there anyone imported from a major promotion that you DO like?

Shogun beat Machida when people were saying the only thing that would stop Machida was (maybe) Anderson Silva.

It's easy to put a negative spin on things in retrospect, which is why I've never liked quoting a fighter's wins and losses when talking about how good they are. I mean, Rampage and Shogun have the most impressive and notable names in their win columns, but both of them lost to Forrest Griffin. You frequently like to debunk Fedor with the whole "beat by Hendo" thing, but Hendo himself lost badly to a WW that has been looking terrible. It's just a big MMA math circle of hell.

You're much better looking at a fighter's pros and cons and attempting to analyze objectively. I find myself frequently defending guys like Fedor, who I never cared much about but always recognized that he brought some strengths that we still don't see in MMA much to this day. Dude actually had science behind his ground and pound and mixed grappling with striking beautifully.
    test
  5. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Fedor was never bad, and you will never catch me saying that he was. I have heard people say that Fedor would (and this is not me twisting words or exaggerating or taking one random idiot out of context and slapping the words of one person and applying it to a whole group) destroy Brock Lesnar right before Fedor lost to Werdum. Many websites still had Fedor listed as the number one Heavyweight after he barely beat Brett Rogers. It's not that he lost to Hendo. Hendo doesn't suck so it's not a sign that he sucks as a fighter. It is a sign that he isn't the god that people acted like. When Fedor avoided being signed to UFC, many people actually bought that it was because the "UFC doesn't treat fighters like people" whatever that is even supposed to mean. It was only after that fight that people started to consider that it may be because he wanted to continue to appear to be god.

Also your "Hendo got beat by Shields" is kind of a weird point. Yes everyone loses at some point, but in a sport when having a size or reach advantage is perceived as the ultimate advantage, it wasn't exactly a good look. You, along with every other Fedor defender on the face of earth, seem to be severely confused between someone being called "overrated" and someone "not being good at all". I think Fedor is overrated. I think Fedor isn't the greatest heavyweight of all time. I hardly think it's crazy to believe that Randy Couture would have beaten Fedor. Fedor has a better record than Randy. I think Randy would have beaten him. By the time he fought Matt Lindland, he wasn't the best Heavyweight at the moment anymore. Despite that he went undefeated for so long, his opponents stopped being the best competition he could get way before his winning streak ended.

And at least I can understand why people are mystified by Fedor. I get it. On paper, it looks like a really good resume. I'd like to see someone explain the Shogun thing to me. People were calling Shogun a top three Heavyweight after he beat Chuck Liddell, and people didn't even want to consider Rashad good yet. The fact that he actually beat him (after losing of course) doesn't change the fact that he was given a similar hype driven opportunity like the one given to Brock Lesnar after a two fight winning streak (which people cried and cried about long after the fact, despite the fact that he won on the FIRST attempt, and the difference was he actually went on to defend it). They could have made Shogun win another fight first, maybe someone who was on a winning streak. Both fighters he beat were getting obsolete in the sport and were coming off loses.

Shogun's last win against someone not coming off of a losing streak was over two years before that. Sorry bro, these are facts. "Shogun is overrated" is hardly a stretch as far as opinions go. Shogun was put back on Sherdog's top 10 p4p list after knocking out a rusty Forrest Griffin in his backyard. He is put on these kind of lists when he is on 1 fight winning streaks, even if it's against people who aren't even top 10 anymore. Put it together. It's a joke, maybe it's just not your brand of humor.

And to answer your question, I like Anderson Silva. He's the best p4p fighter in the world. He didn't start in the UFC, yet he did rather well upon entering. I also like Nick Diaz, he left the UFC, made improvements, and did what he had to to be considered a contender in the UFC when he returned. Good for him. I'm hardly stuck on people who exclusively fight for the UFC.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.