A few profound questions

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by FarooqHakim, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

In retrospect, isn't it a little strange that people assumed after dominating in fucking Bellator that Lombard would be able to come to the UFC and dominate? I think it has something to do with people still wanting to believe that the 185 division sucks, and that no one of quality has lit a spark in the division. Could this be what convinces people that it really ain't that easy to fight at 185 in the UFC?

Also should Mike Goldberg be banned from comparing fighters to Chuck Liddell, or should he continue to compare every aspect of every fighters game to Chuck through 2013 up until god knows when?
    test
  2. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

to me its obvious that you haven't really fought anybody until you fight in the ufc. the ufc has became the goal of every great fighter, so dominating in bellator is no big accomplishment. guys who showed great skill like aldo is a safe bet, but lombard is not a great fighter, he is a great puncher.

give goldie a break, we all know he knows nothing about the sport. this guy is an average fan who got lucky enough to get into the ufc before it was really popular.

Goldbergs rule:

1. if he has a great overhand right, he is chuck liddell like
    2. if he is a great striker, he is "kind of" like anderson silva
    3. if he does infighting, he is "kind of" randy couture like
    test
  3. krowe23

krowe23 New Member

I think that Lombard can still be a force he wasn't himself last night I expect him too bounce back in a big way
    test
  4. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

usage of leg kicks makes a fighter Jose Aldo
    test
  5. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

and being like any of those kind is kind of like Chuck Liddell
    test
  6. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

Lombard will be a problem at 185 or 170, wherever he chooses
    test
  7. Tha Cunnysmythe

chooses is the key word

he chose to do fuck all last night

if he fights to his potential i see him as being a contender, maybe even champ after silva retires
    test
  8. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Hopefully next time he doesn't choose to lose again
    test
  9. Tha Cunnysmythe

^might not be a choice, i see him struggling with the likes of vitor and...

shit i can't think of any other top mw's now that chael's probably moving

i'd say okami but i think hector could take him in the clinch and okami prolly couldn't get it to the ground

maybe bisping?
    test
  10. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Lombard fought like he was worried about gassing. He still got robbed of his earned 30-27 decision though. Only thing Boetsch ever got off decent was inside leg kicks, compare that to several hooks lombard caught him with on the way in.

Free pass for first UFC fight, thank god it wasn't brian stann and see how he does next time out.
    test
  11. Makabreli

Makabreli done

[​IMG]

fun thing about this highlight ko of lombards is that it was 10+ mins of action similar to what we saw saturday preceding it. just in this case, he actually got the counter ko he was looking for, at 149 he did not.
    test
  12. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Yeah and Boetsch wasn't supposed to even make it out of the first round according to most people :funny:

Hector failed :funny: He doesn't have the mindset to be a champ in the UFC.
    test
  13. Makabreli

Makabreli done

shogun's first two ufc fights were shit, he went on to be champ and have one of the greatest fights of all time

ionno if anyone not named bjorn ever seriously put hector lombard and champion in the same sentence knowing that his weight class options are anderson silva's division and gsp's division. but there are good potential fights and highlight reel opportunities if lombard comes in with a strategy other than "draw him in, counter with hook"
    test
  14. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

shogun was a proven fighter with injuries nagging. Lombard fought like crap.
    test
  15. Makabreli

Makabreli done

that's what people say now that they know, but back then it was "hahahahah pride fanboys this is what happens when youhave to stop taking steroids and start fighting real competition in the statez looooooooolllllllllzhahahah"
    test
  16. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i guess thats fair to say if you were listening to ufc fanboys.anyone who followed the sport knew he already beat guys like rampage and lil nog. lombard has beaten nobody NEAR a top contender

i was surprised to see forrest beat him so easy, but since he was who i wanted to win, it made me think forrest was better than i thought.

i hope this was just ufc jitters and lombard gets back in the groove. there really isn't anybody else near the top of the division who is a knockout puncher besides silva
    test
  17. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Yeah, but sarcasm aside bro those people who said things like that minus your cynical edge to it had a pretty good point. Virtually none of those guys have done nearly as well as they did in Pride once they got into the UFC. I'm supposed to believe that Fedor at 35, Cro Cop at 37, Wanderlei at 36, and Nogueira at 36 are too old and only not doing well because they are past their prime, while at the same time Silva being the p4p king at 37 is no big deal because people have convinced themselves that he hasn't fought any comp even though he subbed the guy who 1st round knocked out Fedor. I was supposed to believe that a Cro Cop who was barely 30 couldn't win any fights in the UFC after being crowned a "legend" of the sport because he was getting old?

Yeah Pride fanboys like it or not are pretty much the worst MMA fans all around, and they tend to have the worst opinions, get the least amount of predictions right, know the least yet talk the most, and never under any circumstances can they just say "Well I was wrong about that". Nope, a million and one excuses instead. They will use a dumb ass term like "wrestlefuck" or "lucky punch" to describe their hero losing in a manner they hate to see.

And Shogun won a title, lost it first defense in horribly embarrassing fashion, and won't likely get another shot in the future. He is in no way more accomplished in the UFC than Rampage or Rashad. He is 4-4 in the UFC. He has not won more than two fights in a row in the UFC. He was given a title shot after being the 5th person to knock out Chuck Liddell (A Chuck Liddell that hadn't won a fight in a couple years) on a two fight winning streak (The other being Mark Coleman, oh please), and then he lost he first shot and was given an immediate rematch. When Brock Lesnar got this kind of opportunity people were angry, very angry. When Shogun got that treatment, they didn't really mind. Despite all this after he beat a Forrest Griffin that wasn't even really in the rankings anymore in Brazil, Sherdog (Pride fans) decided that Shogun had re-entered that p4p top 10. That, my friend, is a joke.
    test
  18. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

its not a joke when that guy beats the champion, gets screwed out of a W, then knocks him out in the immediate rematch.

i dont think rampage is that much more accomplished than shogun in the ufc. sure he beat chuck and hendo a while ago. but i havent been impressed with him since. and no knocking out wandy isn't impressive, he admitted machida kicked his ass, jon jones beat him just as embaressing, and he lost to bader of all people.

shogun knocked out the guy who beat him and beat a guy twice (unofficially once) people thought was unbeatable. he also had one of the greatest fights ever with hendo in a losing effort
    test
  19. Tha Cunnysmythe

vitor

arguably weidman and boetsch
    test
  20. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I'm glad for Hector's safety that they didn't have him fight Bisping first.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.