A few fitness questions...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Look im Gangsta, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

1. I heard that using a punch bag daily for an hour or two can pretty much fill your cardio quota and wont burn off your muscle mass like jogging would. Is that true?

2. What is ment by 'cutting'? (Im asking here because I want a blunt answer)

3. When you bench, what sorta sets do you do? (Please refrain from exagerating because it wont help me, it'll just make you look stupid.)

4. I do 'standing crunches' and it's slowly sorting my abs out but it's doing nothing for my 'love handels' tips?

Thanks.
    test
  2. doubl3

doubl3 aka AyHay

for the love handles, do leg raises, they work a treat ..mine look pretty defined..
    test
  3. Look im Gangsta

test
  4. doubl3

doubl3 aka AyHay

Yea, lie on your back, and do leg raises ........like some other dude said in another thread, raise your legs like 6 inches from the ground and keep them there until you start to feel it. ..I do that too, i keep them up for like 20 seconds, then do leg raises ..then higher the legs, and do raises again ..confused?..i sure am..
    test
  5. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

for bench, i start out at 130 and do 12 reps. then i go to 140 and do 10. then i go to 150, and do 8. then I skip up to 165 and do 6. all that equals one manly chest
    test
  6. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

aka pyramids, great way to build strength.

I'll answer these questions later.
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Thanks for the input double and gz.
    test
  8. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Anaerobic exercises like hitting a punching bag and lifting weights help build muscle. It's still going to shed some mass but much less than aerobics would.

Though 2 hours is too long, even 1 hour is too long because then you're going for a long period and stepping into aerobics. You want to go for short, high energy bursts on the bag. Go for either 2 or 3 minute rounds at a time with a minute or 2 in between and gradually go for more rounds as you progress. Anaerobics will kick your ass. Interval running is fun too, do some shadow boxing as well.

You can either lift to get big, or to get toned. Usually builders will gain for a period of time, and when they've put on the weight they want, they cut. Just getting rid of the body fat they've accumulated while retaining the muscle they've gained.

There are so many different variations. 3x10, 5x5, pyramid, etc.

I suggest you check out www.bodybuilding.com and check out routines they lay out. I suggest 5x5, it's basic, yet effective. And good for beginners.

You have to work the obliques. Again, check out the site I offered, they'll give you exercises for every part of the body with pictures and descriptions on how to do them properly, training tips, nutrition tips. GREAT site

And there's no such thing as spot reduction, you have to have low body fat and work all areas to define all over.
    test
  9. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

Mr. Steve S handled this shit.
    test
  10. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

Pretty much.

But don't be hitting the bags for more than hour especially if your JUST starting, you knuckles will tear up within the first 20 minutes anyway if your punching hard. The heavy bag is just for resistance you might want to use the speed bag especially if youre a small dude.
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I'll add on that^. If you're going to hit a heavy bag, wear wraps and gloves. Wraps at the very least. Or don't go for knockout punches, just do some duckin and weavin around the bag, and throw out a lot of quick/retract punches, don't really lay into the bag.

But get gloves, heaviest gloves you can find, which will probably be 16 or 18 oz and use em for shadowboxing as well. Then when you take em off, hands are gonna move like lightning lemme tell ya. Kids don't even see a telegraphed hook comin WHOA
    test
  12. INKonspikuouz

INKonspikuouz An sclábhaí na Éirinn

you wont be able to hit the bag for more than an hour if you're unfit and never punched before. it looks easy, but it aint.

get a heavy bag, and dont throw out a few quick/retract punches. thats a common mistake. it will do nothing for you. it will not build up strength or speed. you need to hit as hard as you can. and use straight punches as it will reduce bag movement. also dont just box on end, boxing is a round sport. 2 mins for amatuers, 3 for pro's. so spend 2 mins on the bag and then for about a min, eventually you'll be able to rest for less and build up good recovery and endurance. also if you just hit the bag for 2 mins, eventually move up to 3 mins as it will over condition you. the best way to punch a bag also is punch-out drills. they are bursts of non-stop punches. 1-2-1-2 (1 = jab, 2 = cross). do them non stop for anything between 20 secs and a min.
    test
  13. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

You're telling an amatuer to hit as hard as he can? Watch how quick this kid fucks his rotator cuffs or hyper extends his elbow when he misses the bag.

And I'll argue that quick retract punches won't help speed.
    test
  14. Look im Gangsta

Word. I'm not so much out of shape, but having spent half my life doing aerobic excercise I can appreciate the drain of it.

Makes sense.

Dope, thanks for the help.
    test
  15. Look im Gangsta

That more depends on your hands. I've been fucking with the bag in the Army gym now and then and my hands go raw every time. I've been doing construction work since I could lift a brick and my hands will still burst if they are so much as slapped hard enough. Most fights that I get into, my hands burst. But in the past I wore raps so...
    test
  16. QuickQuip

QuickQuip New Member

i never heard of standing crunches... i'll trty it though
    test
  17. QuickQuip

QuickQuip New Member

cutting is overrated though
    the results always seem to be lacking
    test
  18. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

didn't know thats what it was called
    test
  19. Jack Iraq

Jack Iraq New Member

Don't ask these wackasses, Malo, come to me. No homo.
    test
  20. Amel Prodjuser

Amel Prodjuser Stuntin' Like My Granny!

1. dunno
    2. instead of doing 3x10 with a full load, do 3x13 with less weight, do cardio at the end of your workout, eat healthy 6 times a day, drink a lot of water...
    3. I usally bench 3x10 170-200
    4. having the same problem...?!?!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.