50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time (Updated)

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwame

Gwame no luckycharms in ireland

Why couldn't he? Cavemen can work PMs
    test
  2. MCPamflit

MCPamflit New Member

What the list would need to be is mainly made up of the best guys from the hottest scenes, L.A and N.Y, places where people have been battling each other on the regular and the scene therefore has developed propper. Throw in people who have national exposure outside these scenes like Eminem and Jin and finally throw a couple of international reps in. I personally think bo-rat is as important as guys like franco, bishop and twist yes but not sure on organik, posessed nah, think if u look at from jumpoff 2 now Arkaic is the man for England and I defo think lush and dirtbag should be there. Justice won scribble which means he belongs but does Anecdote have the pedigree?

I think to truely document this art form u need to speak to the people who have made this theyre life for a long time, if a tree falls in the woods and its not filmed for youtube, does it make a sound?
    xx
    test
  3. JONNY STORM

JONNY STORM Dominiking

cut sage francis and replace him with me, ive won way more battles and he aint reppin providence right at all
    test
  4. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

test
  5. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

No offense, but you're gonna have to give me another name. I'm open to ALL suggestions, and am not trying to play prison warden with this list. But if this list were numerical, Sage would be pretty high up there.
    test
  6. gregrieke20

I understand what you're saying (although I'd definitely argue that the bay has traditionally been a "hotter scene" than LA) that's why there are a large number of battler's from the main scenes. However not giving guys like Eyedea or Mac Lethal as much credit because of where they are from is kind of bogus.

If Possessed isn't top 50 of all time, I'm fucking taking crazy pills. I understand he doesn't have a lot of battles under his belt, but what he did in the WRC's was one of the most impressive things i've seen in battling. Also Anecdote has an outstanding history in battling.

Your "tree falls in the woods" thing made me lol. I know my initial post was lengthy, but if you got a chance to read the whole thing, you'll know that it definitely does make a sound even its not on youtube. As I have many people who have little footage on the internet on there.

Also, (as I see you only have 9 posts) I should warn you, any and all positive things you say about Arkaic, should immediately be reconsidered, as this will most certainly make you the target of scrutiny from approximately 99% of this board. I too have made this mistake in the past, until it was explained to me several times just how bad Arkaic is, and just how stupid I was for ever possibly thinking he was any good.
    test
  7. EmceeGoddess

eminem should not be in, jin def should, if this list were numbered eyedea should be top 10 easy he won every huge event there was back then and did it easily. mac is DEF way up there, runner up twice in SJ and winner once is impressive especially when he got runner up 2 years after his win (battle scene changed TONS between then)

greg send me final questions before u do this dont do anything retarded like put jaze in there
    test
  8. gregrieke20

This also made me lol. Not because it was necessarily as funny as the other post, but simply because I could picture you saying to yourself "Jesus, he better not fuckin put so and so in there".

Trust that I'm definitely sending you the final questions, I just kind of have to get those final questions finalized first. They'll probably also be ones that pertain to the leagues/tourneys as well, if you'd be able to help me out there.
    test
  9. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

eminem made 8 mile. take that for what it's worth.
    test
  10. gregrieke20

Eminem would not be high on the list if it were numerical. However he did place 2nd in the Rap Olympics and made it to the semifinals in Scribble. He also had some high profile opponents in his career (I know you already know this, but it is part of my reasoning).

And yes, he was a large part of bringing attention to battling with his movie. As I said impact is definitely a factor in this, its not all just skill.

I'm a baseball fan, when lists like this are made regarding baseball, Jackie Robinson is consistently put higher on the lists than he should be based on his skill. However his impact in baseball is unrivaled, so its not a huge issue to me when he is placed 40th on a top 100 list when in reality he should be placed much lower.

Regardless, I thought this was just some insignificant project? I'm not sure why you've elected to comment again. as I just assumed you had bigger fish to fry.
    test
  11. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Skill wise Eminem would not rank that high, but influence wise Eminem would be a possible number one. It seems a LOT of people are still in the closet about the influence Eminem has probably had on them at one point. Even though many of the people on this board might not have gotten into battling because of 8 mile, 99% of people who watch battles probably did get into it because of the movie.
    test
  12. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Also tournaments won is a semi-decent guide for those who make the list but it doesn't take in consideration one on one (high profile) battles, but if this list was ranked Solomon might not make it that high based on tournaments won (even though he should) if this was based on how many tournaments they won. Solomon never won Scribble (well he didn't technically...) and yet he is better than most of the people who DID win Scribble. He did win Brainstorm and I'm sure other stuff, but to me more important than trophies a person has is the content of their verses and the footage one has.
    test
  13. EmceeGoddess

only reason eminem would make it is cause there aren't even 50 GREAT battlers id imagine.
    test
  14. MCPamflit

MCPamflit New Member

Eminem should be there, I think he should anyway. He was a battler then he blew up to be the biggest rapper on the planet. If Gordan Ramsey worked 2 shifts at Mc.Donalds when he was 17 I think it would be fair of them 2 say he was one of there greatest employees. Does that make sence?

Also thanks on the heads up about Ark, but I've been a fan of battling for a minute now, just was holding back from these forums. I personally think alot of the older rappers are shit compared to todays beasts, but its about what they did for the scene. And I think Ark did the most for us here in the UK in terms of being a prototype. Plus they beat jaze and wapps and should of been in the final of the wrc, its easy to discredit wapps juice eurgh and ark when talking merit with the wrc but i think ark proved some shit there. The new guys like cruger et all coming through in the UK are better, whatever better be, but IMO Ark put the work in when there was work that needed to be done, and then stuck with it unlike some of the other guys.

As for the LA bay thing I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about there, I like to think I know but I don't, all I know is LA has a hat. Its california, yeah, then LA's in that, wheres hollywood. Where was saved by the bell set? Is LA like a county, would the bay be like Stevenage to our Hertfordshire?
    test
  15. DirtBagDan

DirtBagDan Well-Known Member

Cool, I sent you a message. Let me know what's good.
    test
  16. GASP

GASP ¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

Dirtbag Dan 73-9
    test
  17. gregrieke20

Agreed. And I would even argue that Eminem's battling career is equivalent to like 5 months at McDonald's.

Arkaic is one of my favorite battlers ever. I know there are better ones, but I've always thought he was dope. I don't think the older battlers are "shit" compared to today's battlers, because battling (like anything) has evolved. I don't think George Mikan is shit compared to today's centers for this exact same reason.

Arkaic mainly battled at a time when writtens were very much frowned upon (at least in JumpOff), today they are openly allowed. I'd hope the verses would be better. This is why I get so annoyed when people say, "man so and so is sooo much better than he was in the WRC's"...LMAO, well now he knows about his opponent months beforehand, writes all his rhymes down, memorizes them, then recites them to his opponent. I'd fuckin hope he'd have more punchlines.

Since you're British two prime examples of this for DF were Truth and Press1, (both dope DF performances). They were obviously much better in DF than they were previously, there is an obvious reason for this...writtens

This was hilarious. I thought "a hat" was British slang or something til I realized you were just talking about a Dodgers hat.
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Although I don't agree with this, I understand what you're saying. I still encourage people to pick the "top" fifty then.

Even if I didn't feel there was a 50 Greatest, I would still call it that, as "20-30 greatest battlers of all-time with a remaining 20-25 who are somewhat better than the other guys who aren't as good" would be a bit lengthy and doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.
    test
  19. umberto

umberto New Member

lmfao you must be high putting organik on the list and not having hommy hom in it
    no disrespect to organik.. he seems like a cool guy
    test
  20. _Organik_

_Organik_ Deaf Villian This Guy's

im not the type of person to try n make myself sound bigger then i am or somethin but jesus

i guess my past accolades dont mean shit anymore

i mean yall know i won 25+ competitions in toronto before some of the ppl your praising even stepped foot into battling? did i mention im still only 24 years old and did most of that before i even turned legal age to get into bars.

no disrespect im not sayin i do or do not deserve to be on that list but alot of yall got it twisted thinking i just started battling when wrc07 came to toronto when infact i was the person emailing harry the year before telling him he HAS to come to toronto and probably a strong reason he did come to toronto considering there was only about 2 other mc's with footage on youtube who were from canada

ive won pretty much ever legitimate competition thats ever came to canada, some of them ive won 2-4 times, ive also battled 99% of our battle scene and the percent i just dropped is also the percentage of times i won.

oh not to mention i started kotd, and no it wasnt a copy of anything, ppl who post here can even vouche for me having meetings to get it poppin off while wrc07 was still happening (rich) and pretty much paved a solid path for our battle scene in general.

you would be right, i do not battle as much as twist these days due to the fact that i spend most my time running the league that is putting these rappers out there, although, back when ppl like twist wernt battling, i was winning multiple competitions, alot of the mc's from canada also 'retired' or 'quit' for long periods of time, i stayed battling and i stayed winning.. ive transitioned from what was considered canada's 'old' battle scene and also battled alot and helped create out 'new' era of our battle scene...

no disrespect to anyone else on that list but as as far as canadian battling goes.. the other 2 names deserve to be on there just as much as i do as i think weve all had our impacts on the different era's of the battle scenes..

i was also one of the first canadians to ever have a battle video released onto youtube

and i can pretty much guarentee ive won more notable battles and competitions then any other canadian battler

my histroy goes alot further then my first interview in the wrc.

since your saying he must be high for hom not being on there, whats hom done so incredible for or in the battle scene to be above ppl like me? or ppl like jonny storm who were left out?

oh and on top of that, not only can i battle, i can actually rap too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGDIq3mCQtc
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.