50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time (Updated)

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Yea man, that'd be dope as fuck. I've been a battle fan for a long time, and I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about it for the most part, but admittedly the Canadian battle scene's history is one of my weak points.

In the leagues/tourneys chapter, I was planning on writing a bio of each league/tourney's history, past winners, hosts and other key figures, and so on. The more notable organizations (eg, Scribble, Jumpoff, Grind Time) will have an entire spread dedicated to them, while the lesser known leagues will have a half-spread.

If you could write up the "Proud 2 be eh battle mc" history and bio, that'd be more than appreciated (if they had a logo and you could give me a pic of it, that'd be dope, as I am going to put each organizations logo in this section as well. If not, I can just make one) Also, if Bishop has a bio that you could get me that'd be great, or at least some info on his battling history. I have some already, but more can never hurt.

Thanks.
    test
  2. Kurrection

Kurrection AKA Tooz Da Gawd

Why do I only see red x's?

Nevermind, used firefox and it works.
    test
  3. Triangle

Triangle 100% FRESH

Nice stuff dude...Maybe you should keep out his age...cause over 2 years the info will be too outdated. Watch how they do it on wikipedia:

Clean stats would be nice:
    Birth name
    Born
    Origin
    Genres
    Occupations
    Labels
    Associated acts
    test
  4. gregrieke20

Yea, you're right about the age. I was looking at baseball/basketball cards, and some said things like "A starter at the off guard position for the last 3 years, its strange to think he's only 22" or whatever. So I tried to follow that, but I didn't take into account the major sports leagues obviously make new cards every year, so they can afford to say the age and not have it matter.

I like the idea of those stats as well. With the layout of the card, I might not have the space for that many categories, but you've got some good ideas on ones I can replace for. I tried to think of categories I was fairly certain I could get all the answers for every battler.
    test
  5. Triangle

Triangle 100% FRESH

Yup it would be dope to make a new series per year, but for now you have to edit those stuff out.... and I hear ya about the stats.
    test
  6. reznick

reznick New Member

this is gonna be a dope book
    Its the first of its kind, and it may not be the last.

I see what your saying about Kid Twist. For what its worth though, I would have never known anything about the Canadian battle scene had it not been for Twist. There are a LOT of casual fans of rap battles in the past few years with the introduction of being able to upload videos on youtube, helping battle leagues strive. During this era, Kid Twist in my opinion is one of the most significant. I know it sounds cliche on these boards, but I have a lot of cousins and friends who like Scribble/WRC/GT battles, but do not watch a lot of battles and who are not subscribed to Drect. But these people always ask me when the next Kid Twist battle is. For many, he is the greatest in the world at this.

And most of all, I think you may regret not having put him on the list after you release the book.

Remember, whatever goes in this book, will be there forever.

I also think that the artists 'website' shouldn't be listed. You would think that it would help for promotion on their end, but I do not think it will. Websites can change any day. Also, people reading this book are going to search the artists name in google if they want to check them out online, which is promotion in itself. I think a website for each card seems kind of gimmicky, or too strong of an approach. I know that artists in this stage of their careers try to get their name and website out there as much as possible. But putting their website next to their name in a book that celebrates their battle carrers, so to speak, makes it seem like the artists, and the author of the book himself, are trying too hard to promote. I know for a fact that, that is not the case, however im trying to help you see how other people may perceive the book. I mean, the book may be on peoples shelves 30 years from now. Think about that.
    test
  7. Drect

Drect Elite Battling Association CEO

yo i would add hollow. 106th and park, he's like 11-0 in FK, and One of GT's best. (i don't think u got H anyways)

and for the top contributors to battle rap i would add rhyme spitters from CHicago & Mic Fights in Arizona. look them up - some classic material there
    test
  8. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

he's 11-0 in FK when ars killed em?
    test
  9. _Organik_

_Organik_ Deaf Villian This Guy's

i agree with the statement above for kid twist, i know so many ppl that got into battling and rapping themselves after watching kid twist, hes an inspiration for alot of ppl out there and has made quite an impact in a short period

and co sign lush uno getting a segmant aswell
    test
  10. gregrieke20

Yea, you're completely right about the websites/myspace. I'm gonna take it out, particularly at the thought that websites change.

I just want to make sure I use categories that firstly, every battler has, and on top of that, categories that I can find the answer for each one. Like I thought about doing "crew" or "group" or whatever, but then realized, not all these guys are in a group.

I like Triangle's idea about genres, but a lot of these battlers obviously fall into more than one category. Whatever is the case, I designed the layout for 3 categories (4 if you count the hometown under the rap name) so its going to have to stay at 3, but I think that'll be a good amount.
    test
  11. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Someone might have said this already but didn't Illmacaulte win at 17?
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Also, I completely agree with Reznick and Organik (and whoever else has mentioned him) about Twist.

I was thinking of putting him in place of either Bo-Rat or Passwurdz.

I've always loved Bo Rat's battles, but he's always been kind of inconsistent to me, I hadn't put him on until the last thread.

Also, along with Cortez, Pass is probably my favorite RAPPER in all of GT. I think talent-wise there is no doubt he should be up there, but he hasn't been as active as a lot of the guys on the list, so I thought about replacing him with someone.

I was probably going to put Twist in, if I do, I was wondering who should come out? Obviously if you guys feel anyone besides the two I've mentioned should be replaced, feel free to tell me who.
    test
  13. gregrieke20

I think you may be right, if that's the case, obviously I'll change it.
    test
  14. EmceeGoddess

just say he was like 13 like everyone else did
    test
  15. gregrieke20

test
  16. ReverseOsmosis

ReverseOsmosis aka Drone

test
  17. gregrieke20

Yea, I agree. I'm probably gonna go with Twist over him, particularly because I hadn't originally considered him top 50 (not to say I don't still think Bo rat's talented).

Yea, I've thought about it, and still am. Especially because he's so rounded, both in his style, and all the different scenes he's been successful in.

Also, I should have mentioned the way I have it set up in the initial post is simply so people can read all the names easier. There will be no categories by letter, as that would be unfair to a lot of deserving mcs. If there isn't a dope enough mc for the letter "Q", then there simply isn't.

It has also been mentioned before about a certain number of battlers per country or something to this effect. I'm trying to not let that effect anything, if the consensus felt there were 10 notable mcs from Canada to make it and zero from Australia (or vice-versa), then that is what I'd go with (this wouldn't be the case of course, but just for example).
    test
  18. EmceeGoddess

if hollow is in there, twist should DEFINITELY be in there. (i think kt should be in there regardless)

im off to work now. sorry i never got to hit you back about helping you with this. im a busy bee these days. if you have specific shit to ask me, pm it and i can help you for sure.
    test
  19. GASP

GASP ¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

Weird...
    test
  20. gregrieke20

No problem. And thanks, I definitely do have some things you could help me out with. Definitely expect a pm.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.