50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: The Saurus

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is The Saurus'. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1239826-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-mc-juice.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1250506-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-swann.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...atest-battlers-all-time-busy-bee-starski.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...greatest-battlers-all-time-hollow-da-don.html

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

Lets take a run down the list. Two-time World Rap Champion. Two-time Scribble Jam Champion. King of the Dot Champion. More wins at Tourettes Without Regrets than any MC to ever compete. Main events at all five of Grind Time's Battle of the Bay series and high profile battles in the most respected leagues across the world. There's a reason so many people anoint The Saurus as the biggest name to ever come out of the legendary Fresh Coast battle scene. He's earned it.

Born in Greece but raised in California, The Saurus started battling in 2001. Competing in local events for years, he built a reputation by pressure packing multisyllabic rhymes and witty comparisons into his bars, a distinctive style attempted by many but achieved by few. In 2005 he broke through, making it all the way to the final four at Scribble Jam before falling to the eventual champion, Justice of Australia. The battle, considered one of the greatest in Scribble's illustrious history, coincided with the rise of the YouTube and the internet-based era of battling, an era The Saurus would help to define.

Going back to Scribble the next year, Saurus would not be denied victory, becoming the first champion in it's 11 year history to hail from California. Shortly after he teamed up with Illmaculate for JumpOff TV's World Rap Championships. Their dominant performance, going undefeated in the New York division before besting the UK team of Possessed and Wha'sisface in the finals, launched the pair into global recognition. All the while The Saurus maintained a 9 month winning streak at Oakland's Tourettes Without Regrets tournament, running through dozens of the Bay's best MCs.

The next two years would prove just how ubiquitous The Saurus had become in the battling world. Going back to the WRC's in '07, he and Illmac found every MC gunning for their spot and coming well prepared with bars custom made for the pair. Scribble Jam in 2008 would be no different; the notoriety Saurus had earned off of his YouTube footage left other battlers dying for a chance to throw down with a legend. In the end, it wouldn't matter, as he and Illmac repeated as WRC champs, and Saurus ran through the Scribble competition, joining ADeeM as the competition's only two-time winners.

The evolution of battling to the written form wouldn't leave The Saurus behind. He adapted his game to the Grind Time and King of the Dot stages, beasting in divisions across America with the former and becoming the third and only American champion of the latter. While spitting on beats with rhymes off the head still remains his claim to fame, The Saurus has shown no signs of letting his vice grip on the battling world go. And why should he? After all these years, he's earned it.
    test
  3. Stock

Stock New Member

james vanderbeek on eight grams of tweak
    test
  4. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

GOAT
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  5. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

This was definitely the hardest of these to write so far. Pete's resume is ridiculous, and trying to incorporate all of his accomplishments in the freestyle and written forms, while noting the stylistic impact he had on the game and capturing that period in 06-08 where he was essentially larger than life in battle rap ... it was a challenge.

I hope I did a decent enough job of capturing it.
    test
  6. Stock

Stock New Member

There's just a little typo of "champion" in the last paragraph. Other than that, it was very concise and did a good job of encompassing all aspects of his battling career. Good shit.
    test
  7. larry word

larry word get sauced n dip

ya some typos n shit

good writeup tho.
    test
  8. larry word

larry word get sauced n dip

edit: double
    test
  9. blackout805

blackout805 Member

he's the man
    test
  10. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

"he and Illmac found"

i dont think you should use the nicknames, it should say illmaculate
    test
  11. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

Very nice. Well deserved tbh
    test
  12. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

Dope! I would consider using a better quote though!

Maybe one from the Justice battle, as you reference it in the bio as being one of the best scribble battles ever.

Also in the write-up's, as an overall theme to the book...if you're gonna reference opponents, it might be a good idea to choose to reference some of the other rappers that made the top 50 list. For example I like how you reference Illmaculate, which is gonna be dope for the reader to see because he'll be able to make a connection... The negative to that is you don't want the book to make it seem like these top 50 are the ONLY 50 emcees to do it....but yea thats a suggestion

Also.......another question/suggestion...

Perhaps in the beginning of the book there could be a section that drops a page/paragraph/sentence of each of the major battle leauges with their location and time-frame they existed, since i know they're gonna be referenced in literally every bio
    test
  13. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

Looks good Greg and good write up Joe. There was a lot of info crammed into that bio but I thought it read well.
    test
  14. kenchilla

kenchilla New Member

all i know is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
    test
  15. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

test
  16. Observer426

Observer426 Active Member

A very impressive project. I'll most likely buy this book when it drops.
    test
  17. ConclusionSD

ConclusionSD New Member

Not enough personal info on his family and girlfrend, tbh.
    test
  18. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

yea that read well
    test
  19. gregrieke20

I debated on the quote. That's personally one of my favorite quotes from Saurus ever. I was going to do the "Justice is served" quote from that battle, unfortunately that line ends the first two bars of the verse, and since I'm trying to do fours bars for each guy, I would kind of want it to end with that bar since its so dope. But yea, I'm not married to any of the quotes.

I also know what you mean about referencing the other rappers. In all honesty I'm not really sure what the proper way to go is right there. I guess that's a question Joe will have to answer, lol. I think its ok the way its done though.

As for the leagues and the times they existed, I agree completely. There is going to be a section with bios on all of the most popular leagues and organizations throughout battle history. And these will also feature illustrations for their contributors. So people like Lush, Smack, Kevin Beacham, Wendy Day, International P and so forth. Click on the "50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time" link in the original post if you wanna check more on that Maple.

But thanks for the compliment. I definitely see what your saying for people who aren't battle heads though. In the sports books I got the idea from, they didn't really go into detail about other guys referenced in someone's bio. Of course a lot more people know who Deion Sanders is when reading Brett Favre's bio, than they know who Murda Mook is when reading Serius Jones bio. But I don't want each thing to have to be explained thoroughly either. Basically I'm saying I don't know what the fuck the answer is lol.
    test
  20. Judgekure

Judgekure 48÷2(9+3)=288 tbh

Looking good my dude.

I know it must be hard to write Thesaurus's bio, cause anything you write...You probably dont have enough space to really cement his entire resume of accomplishments so the best you can do is try to fit whatever you can, Which kinda doesnt do his legacy justice. No choice I guess. Definitely a good skim through of his battle career though. Major Props to Joe and Greg. Shits getting real.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.