50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Swann

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Swann's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1239826-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-mc-juice.html

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

People have often claimed that rap battles are a proxy for fistfights, physical aggression manifested through rhythm and rhyme. Detroit native Swann, one of battle raps first larger than life competitors, began his love for rap music with a literal take on that metaphor. In 5th grade, he smashed a classmate's face in and stole his headphones. When he put them on, the raw sound of NWA came pumping out. Swann, the D's favourite battling son, associated hip hop with a beat down from the jump.

As he grew older Swann got used to being the center of attention, earning a name at his high school for his rapping ability and the nonstop comedy routine that was his personality. Before making a formal introduction to battling he built an underground reputation, rhyming against Elzhi of Slum Village in some of the most legendary contests to occur in Detroit's early days. “The guy's skill level is crazy,” Elzhi says. “I've seen him flawlessly murder cats in a battle.” But the mainstream world wasn't ready yet. In 2001, at the age of 20, Swann was disqualified from the Source's Unsigned Hype battle, a decision he still claims was unfair. Disillusioned with rap, he entered the corporate world and thought of leaving his battling days behind. It wouldn't be that easy.

As the Motor City's scene progressed and newcomers began to get shine, Swann felt compelled to lace his gloves back up and returned to the battle circuit. His big break came in 2003 when he made it to the finals of that year's MTV Battle and the semi finals of Scribble Jam, losing to Wrekonize and Rhymefest respectively in two monstrous battles. His momentum only built from there, cresting in 2005 with wins at the Rap Olympics and Fight Klub, both of which were documented on MTV's True Life. Later that year, he was voted Best Freestyler at VH1's Vibe awards and took second place at MTV's Rocafella Battles.

Swann never deviated from his intentionally simplistic style, far and away the purest comedian battler to ever grace the scene. His hair jutting off at irregular angles, a pair of small glasses resting on the bridge of his nose, the large, unkempt rapper made a point of spitting bars as ridiculous as his appearance. There was no flash to Swann's punches, and no technical prowess built in. “I don't use no multisyllabic metaphors,” he says. “I just be straight joke-crackin.” There's no science to being a funny ass dude.

Today Swann has stepped away from the battle scene to focus on his music, a high energy electric charge genre known as Hypno. But his influence still remains firmly entrenched. The battling world is saturated with comedians, joke tellers who rely on their wit over their ability. Each one of them owes a credit to Swann, the rapper who fathered, perfected and spread that enigmatic style.
    test
  3. SaM HaiN

SaM HaiN Onslaught

Myspace

^^ swanns page
    if you wanna peep the tracks hes been working on
    test
  4. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

Good read can't wait to read the rest!!
    test
  5. gregrieke20

Thanks. Appreciate it man.
    test
  6. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

i am really enjoying this project, thanks greg
    test
  7. gregrieke20

I can't tell if there is a hint of facetiousness in there or not, lol, but thank you
    test
  8. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

Swann honestly changed the standard for what battling became
    test
  9. gregrieke20

Which I suppose was both good and bad, but yea I agree.
    test
  10. Stock

Stock New Member

need a hardbook copy!
    test
  11. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

nah man im being completely serious. im not a hater/troll type. i would like to purchase the book when it comes out
    test
  12. °Oobe°

°Oobe° Out of Body Experience

Do u have one of those of Diabolic?
    test
  13. gregrieke20

I don't. Diabolic is in the "final voting" for the last spot, though it doesn't look like he's going to win. Bolic's dope as hell though.
    test
  14. gregrieke20

Cool. With the way the sentence was worded, it was a bit difficult to tell over the internet. Thanks again bro.
    test
  15. °Oobe°

man wtf, add diabolic pls
    test
  16. gregrieke20

Lol. I know dude. Its tough with these final spots to get a list everyone agrees on. Click the link in the first post "50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time" and you can vote for him. He's pretty fuckin far behind though tbh. But it can't hurt.
    test
  17. °Oobe°

cant u just make one extra for diabolic pls?
    me & a few others run his fan channel on youtube /foulplaydiabolic & site Diabolic! – Unofficial Blog
    we will promote it well!
    test
  18. °Oobe°

i think its fucking stupid u have kid twist in there but u leave out ppl like bolic & pumpkinhead...
    test
  19. Credintials

Credintials IRS can suck my books

"Yes he can spit his own flows//
    But you should not let this guy pick his own clothes"- Swann to Blind Fury

Funniest shit ever
    test
  20. gregrieke20

Pumpkinhead's in now, as I've taken Wrekonize out. Dude trust that it was difficult to come up with a list that would make everyone happy, but the original plan was to keep it at 50, and I'd like it to stay that way.

Many people have had different guys they want on the list, and there's no way there can be a list that is going to please everybody (this list wouldn't even be my personal top 50, though its pretty close). Even some rappers themselves (Johnny Storm took to bashing Sage Francis, lol) have really lobbied to be put in, but I wanted to take everyone's opinion into account.

Everyone's been really good about "voting" and giving their opinion along the way, and while many people have suggested Diabolic, the want for him to be in just hasn't been as overwhelming as it has been for some others.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.