50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Sage Francis

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Sage Francis'. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

SAGE FRANCIS BIO

When Sage Francis was twelve years old, his mother took him to a Public Enemy concert.

It wasn’t the youngster born in Miami but rooted in Providence, Rhode Island’s first experience with hip hop, but it would be his definitive one. The show inspired a love for every element of the culture deep inside Sage’s complicated soul, one that would grow in the coming years to consume and transform his character. The first place it took him was the cypher, as both a b-boy and an MC. On the track Underground for Dummies off of his 2007 album Human Do The Death Dance, he waxes about his competitive drive turned bloodlust. “Now it's battle time, I step in the arena,” he spits, “thirteen year old gladiator freak with a fever for the flavor of a fight on a mic. Follow the leader.” And lead he would.

Sage was always atypical for his musical field of choice, a wickedly intelligent eccentric bred in a pure hip hop environment. A straight-edge vegetarian, his lifestyle and lyrical content never adhered to a traditional rap aesthetic. His forays into battling would be no exception. His voice skipped along the beat, never falling into the pocket but instead picking and choosing its places to keep rhythm. His vocal tone pitched from screams to whispers, aggressive baritone growls to light sing-song lyrics. He would dance across the stage, mime his opponents and make faces at them during their verses. He even went so far as to show up to major events rocking fake beards and sunglasses. When Sage battled, he performed. He became a different person.

In 1999 he won the Super Bowl MC Battle, a lead up to his biggest triumph the following year at Scribble Jam. Competing in a field with previous champion Eyedea and earning W’s over underground veterans Brother Ali and Blueprint, Sage emerged victorious in one of the most musically capable Scribble cards to date. He defended his title all the way to the semi-finals the following year, taking out Atmosphere’s Slug on the way before suffering a debatable loss to the eventual champion Adeem.

Soon after his second Scribble Sage stepped away from battling as a creative outlet and threw himself into his music, releasing the Anticon classic Personal Diaries in 2002 and the Epitath albums A Healthy Distrust and Human Do The Death Dance in 2005 and 2007. He continues to run his own label, Strange Famous Records, while releasing new projects continuously praised by alternative hip hop heads. Sage never fit in with the expectations of what an MC should be, and he doesn’t intend to start submitting to convention now. "Started breaking rules ten years ago, still haven't stopped, won the biggest battle wearing a Metallica shirt before the album dropped,” he blares on Underground for Dummies. “A week later smashed the trophy at a show, it was taking up the space that I needed to grow.”
    test
  3. SuomiMetal

SuomiMetal \m/

This shit has been in the works for quite a while, it's been cool to see it take shape. I remember you Organik's page basically finished last time you updated, how many more have been finished since?
    test
  4. gregrieke20

Man, yea I know its taking a while, lol. The illustrations themselves take quite some time, and its not like its my job, so that has kind of extended the process. But now with someone doing the bios, it should really pick up, especially considering the illustrations are now all almost done.
    test
  5. Judgekure

Judgekure 48÷2(9+3)=288 tbh

Sage Francis >>>>>>

Dude is probably top 5 on the list as far as Music goes too. Definitely my favorite lyricist
    test
  6. gregrieke20

Choppa I see you reading...I know you are a big "stats" guy on all this kind of stuff, so if you know of any notable competitions Sage (or Serius Jones in the other thread) was in, that I may have missed, let me know.
    test
  7. MicPhenom

MicPhenom New Member

Sage is an amazing mc...the album he dropped in 02 is actually called Personal Journals...I'm one of the few people on RM that actually got to see him battle and was lucky enough to battle him myself and beat him...this is a great write up...keep it comin Greg
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  8. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

test
  9. gregrieke20

Alright cool. Personal Journals...thanks, will defintely change it.

And thanks on the compliment as well, RegularJoe did a great job with these, and he's sent me others as well that are just as dope.
    test
  10. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Did you misspell "technilogically" at the bottom?
    Isn't it "technologically"?

Regardless, very dope again. Every time I look at the graphics, there's some new detail that you notice. I like that, the intricacies are perfect. As for the writing, very well put. Felt like PERHAPS too much emphasis on him as a person, and didn't meet enough mix of his battling history. Perhaps from lack of knowledge or compensation.. just opinion. Still very well written, nonetheless though.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Honestly I didn't even know technologically or technilogically was a word, lol. But now I see you are correct. I'll change it.

I do kind of agree with you on it maybe being not enough on his battling. Although the bulk of it is still on his battling career, it definitely teeters on the line, because I really wanted this book to commemorate the "battling" aspect of these guys careers, but as you say, its very well written. I feel that if maybe like two of the sentences that are geared towards his music
    were changed to battling, it would be perfect.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Thanks, thats definitely flattering.
    test
  13. FREDDY RUGER

FREDDY RUGER New Member

ayo this book a cool idea props for this idea this nigga lame as fuck fall in the same category as niggas like adeem and dbd i aint never gonna buy this book and if one of my boys do ima wipe my ass with every page to save some money on toilet paper fuck this
    test
  14. RonSimmons

RonSimmons my name, is Battle Rap

this is the truth

REAL NIGGAS DONT READ BOOKS
    test
  15. gregrieke20

If it were your boys' book wouldn't it be saving him money?...since that's the case, props on being a considerate friend.
    test
  16. FREDDY RUGER

FREDDY RUGER New Member

cos im a real nigga i gotta say you needa change up yo color schemes my nigga cos at the moment that shit lookin like a fruit salad you makin these niggas look like cream corn maybe get some black and red in there and maybe a lil purple to keep that shit current cos you doing a good thing but you just not be smart about it faggot
    test
  17. Ribo Nuke

Ribo Nuke Audiodidact

looks dope, sage used to kill in battles
    test
  18. zombiez

zombiez New Member

sage francis rhymes with lame faggot.
    test
  19. GASP

GASP ¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

His first round against ADeeM is fucking amazing