50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Roxanne Shante

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

test
  2. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

I'm dead @ storm goin so hard in the paint over this.

If you replaced someone in the book it wouldn't be roxanne bro, trust that. Saying she doesn't get mentioned is like saying Lord Finesse isn't a legend because he's not brought up in rap discussions these days.

I think its good that the historic figures of battle rap are getting some shine since in the future, its very likely they never will again.
    test
  3. speakdatruth

speakdatruth New Member

Yo, I'll keep it real with YOU...I THINK YOU NEED TO SPEAK LESS sometimes.

I'm a bit older than most (if not all) on here. The Roxanne battles got me into hip hop in 1984. I know you're too young, and hence, a hip hop historian and all, but I think you just outed your own ignorance. So you know who just said that to you, I'm a 38 year old white man. I'm bald. And short. And old. That's who just told you you need to bone up on your hip hop knowledge and respect.

Sometimes Jonny...less is more. For you that means less words are more. Please. For you, not me.
    test
  4. BoDiddley

BoDiddley New Member

Roxanne definetly deserves her spot. Ay Greg is the top 50 just off battles or 4 what they did 4 the battle culture and battling? And do diss tracks count also right? Cus I don't c eminem or organik bein top 50 If not imo.
    test
  5. speakdatruth

speakdatruth New Member

Yes, yes and yes. Because the battling of hip hop didn't start with URL, or Grind Time, or the internet.
    test
  6. speakdatruth

speakdatruth New Member

test
  7. speakdatruth

speakdatruth New Member

test
  8. Iron-E

Iron-E New Member

Hahahahahahahaa wtff
    test
  9. Iron-E

Iron-E New Member

Hahahahahahaha wtf!
    test
  10. NewObserver

NewObserver New Member

hahaha cool. unfortuneately i still have some years on you - but let them know we older fans r in here !
    -
    -
    and i kno u kno how good it is to see some of these younger fans knowledgable and appreciative of the vets !
    -
    -
    i tried to tell u nicely jon stork - that little girl is better than u :double:
    test
  11. speakdatruth

speakdatruth New Member

+1000!

You know, I have to laugh when I read comments from 20 year olds saying they can't see themselves following battles in a few years. That only makes them look like their love of the art isn't genuine. Sometimes, you just gotta let them type! I respect the young artists and the pioneers.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Diss tracks do not count...that said, Roxanne makes it as a "face to face" battler...she was well known throughout the early to mid 80s as being a fierce battle MC. She is incredibly influential to battle rap as we know it today, as she was one of the first MCs to use direct disses towards her opponents in battles rather than just try an "rock the crowd".

While I am definitely not in the generation of battle fans who would be associated with her time (like a couple of the posters in this thread) I have a great respect for what she and some of the older battlers did for this movement...there are certainly arguments against some on the list, but Roxanne is ABSOLUTELY NOT one of them.
    test
  13. gregrieke20

Also when I last checked, there were 206 guests viewing this thread...this is the ONLY place that I post these...while I don't know why such a large number are viewing the thread, the fact that such an astounding amount of people are doing so speaks to Roxanne's popularity nearly 30 years after her last battle.

Also, here is the link to the Busy Bee bio for some of the older guys on here:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/50-greate...atest-battlers-all-time-busy-bee-starski.html
    test
  14. BoDiddley

BoDiddley New Member

^I was talking about eminem.
    test
  15. gregrieke20

Lol...yea Bo...I was trying to answer several other posters within my post to you. It wasn't all directed towards you. Yea, only face to face battles count. That said, Eminem took 2nd place in two different tourneys (Scribble and Rap Olympics both of which, were very prestigious)...he lost in the finals to two legends (Juice and Otherwize respectively)...he was also known as a dominant battle MC in the Detroit area for some time...and obviously his contributions with 8 mile (I know, kinda corny, but its still undeniable) were a big thing for battling.

He definitely wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list were it numerical, but I truly do think making the top 50 isn't a stretch.
    test
  16. Mistake

Mistake Dougie Darko

Lol johnny salty.. this chick is a legend..
    test
  17. BoDiddley

BoDiddley New Member

Lol u gotta point. And i prolly couldn't even name 50 battle rappers lol much less 50 of the greatest without telln maself some of these guys are not "all time greats". Like okwerdz whose good and shit and deserves his spot but wen I think of greats I wouldn't think of him u kno wat I mean? Like he's not a legend in that hip hop way like a Roxanne or krs one is. Top 20 probably woulda been easier lol or to make it more historic
    test
  18. Mistake

Mistake Dougie Darko

Lol johnny salty.. this chick is a legend..
    test
  19. gregrieke20

Top 20 would've been easier definitely (there over 30 bios done, so in that regard it would've essentially already been done lol). But 50 makes it seem like more of a "substantial" thing when you bring it to publishers (not to mention with the list expanded to 50 it allows for certain battlers from certain eras, countries, and types to be taken into consideration, whereas if the list was only 20 they would not).

Okwerdz has definitely been doing his thing for a long time, and was a huge influence on A LOT of the west coast battle mcs in terms of them traveling and so forth.
    test
  20. BoDiddley

BoDiddley New Member

Yep I respect that. Props for this and droppn knowledge.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.