50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Roxanne Shante

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it.
    RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Roxanne Shante's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: http://board.rapmusic.com/50-greatest-battle-rappers-all-time/

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

In 1979, a New York teenager would do pretty much anything for $20. That kind of cash was a small fortune for a project kid. So when Skee, an up and coming MC from Brooklyn, was given the chance to battle an unknown opponent in Queensbridge with a potential payday at the end, he accepted without hesitation. For any self respecting battler, when there's money put up, there are no questions asked. Of course, Skee couldn't have possibly anticipated that his opponent would be a 10 year old girl. Or that he would be leaving QB empty handed that day, his cash pocketed by a brash young beast by the name of Roxanne Shante.

Roxanne grew up in New York as hip hop was being born in the city, and soon became engrained in the scene through a series of musical ventures with some of the most significant MCs the culture has ever known. Her life in music was a battle from her first bar. At the age of 13, Shante earned her namesake by participating in a feud between Queensbridge's Juice Crew and the Brooklyn based UTFO, playing a character named Roxanne on a series of beef tracks. Her lethal lyrics and supremely aggressive personality eventually earned Shante a spot in the legendary Juice Crew, putting her alongside MCs such as Marley Marl, MC Shan, Biz Markie and Big Daddy Kane to name only a few. Before she even hit high school, Roxanne Shante was a household name in hip hop.

With her first single already having sold 250 000 copies, Shante was established as an artist on wax from the jump. Her battle stripes would show her equally impressive skills in the live arena. In 1985 she took second place at the New Music Seminar, losing only a highly controversial decision to Busy Bee in the finals. That same year, Shante also ended her longtime feud with Sparky Dee, ripping her fellow female MC to shreds with her pointed personal bars. A unique entity in the mid-80s battle world, Roxanne was one of the first rappers to directly insult her opponents and go for the jugular, a quality that made her both respected and feared. Her skills had been honed in the competitive environment of Queensbridge, and further refined through her frequent battles with other members of the Juice Crew.

Throughout the next decade, Shante continued to make music with a competitive slant, firing shots at anyone who was worthy of her attention. Since retiring from performing, she has remained active in the battling community, appearing on VHI's Ms. Rap Supreme and the documentary Beef II in recent years. Despite having long left battling behind her, Roxanne has retained her toughness and grit from her previous career. A survivor of breast cancer and a public speaker on the issue in her current days, Roxanne Shante is the purest breed of fighter. One who never met a punch she couldn't take, and never met a competitor not worth taking a swing at.
    test
  3. gregrieke20

Bump...for the overwhelming amount of interest this thread has generated, lol
    test
  4. Sakim Aerias

Sakim Aerias Sunset Cradling Prince

test
  5. ecpresto

ecpresto Active Member

Extremely well written. Hadn't heard of her before (lol me) but still really enjoyed the write up. This book is gonna be dope as hell.
    test
  6. Kunty McPhuck

Kunty McPhuck aka Mr C U Next Tuesday

You either born in 89 or some point in the 90's and/or a mainstream hippop fan, otherwise you over 25 and a hiphop head u have no other excuse tbh

Yes Im a :umad: Hiphop fan
    test
  7. AGGROmusic

AGGROmusic Well-Known Member

very cool. nicely written
    test
  8. JesusPrice

JesusPrice Member

Good Shit.

Shante was getting at Busy Bee in that battle!!
    test
  9. BoDiddley

BoDiddley New Member

deserved. but how is hollow da don or dizaster in over arsonal? that makes no sense
    test
  10. ecpresto

ecpresto Active Member

Get off your high horse. I was born in '88 and don't really give a fuck what you think.
    test
  11. BWallace85

BWallace85 New Member

Dead @ not knowing who Roxanne is. This is ill though. I was wondering if you were planning on covering this era/type of battler.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Ars is in now
    Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
  13. gregrieke20

Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
  14. Topgunz

Topgunz Well-Known Member

This thread is gonna expose a lot of young niggas.

Bump
    test
  15. lightskintwin

lightskintwin Black Militant Racist

Nice to see that you're including the pioneers.
    test
  16. Bookbag Jimmy

Bookbag Jimmy 2 birds on 1 stove

[​IMG]
    test
  17. JONNY STORM

JONNY STORM Dominiking

when u put broads like this above me in battle rank, i lose all respect lol
    test
  18. NewObserver

NewObserver New Member

Boooo ! Boooo !
    test
  19. NewObserver

NewObserver New Member

:fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011:

You may remember the voice from a few years ago
    When I first came out and dissed UTFO
    I chilled for a while, I put down my pen
    But now some suckas from the Bronx got me started again
    Now I'm not out to diss the whole Boogie Down
    Just a featherweight crew from that part of town
    You made a little record and then you start frontin'
    Tried to diss the Juice Crew but ain't hurt nuttin'
    Now KRS-ONE you should go on vacation
    With that name soundin' like a wack radio station
    And as for Scott La Rock, you should be ashamed
    When T La Rock said "It's Yours", he didn't mean his name
    So step back peasants, poppin' all that junk
    Or else BDP will stand for Broken Down Punks
    Cos I'm an All-Star just like Julius Erving
    And Roxanne Shante is only good for steady servin'

:fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011: :fighting0011:

Yayy ! Yayy !
    :funny:
    test
  20. Bookbag Jimmy

Bookbag Jimmy 2 birds on 1 stove

[​IMG]
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.