50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Reign Man

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it.
    RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Reign Man's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: http://board.rapmusic.com/50-greates...pers-all-time/

[​IMG]
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. gregrieke20

You know what Philly's like? Don't say cheesteaks and the Fresh Prince. Philly is hardbody aggression. It's pure, distilled animosity. Philly wears asphalt on its sleeves and pumps chaos through its headphones. Cali is the home of innovation, New York the birthplace of lyricism. Philly breeds bars, in the most brutal sense. And Reignman carried Philly in his soul.

Born in Brooklyn but raised in Philadelphia, Reignman got his first taste for battling in junior high. He claims he didn't have much of a talent for it at first. That would soon change. Travelling between NY and Philly, Reign got a feel for the unique styles of battling each city cultivated. The combination would make him nearly untouchable during his peak.

In 2003, he auditioned for MTV's Making the Band, but after being chosen for the show he decided to pass on the opportunity due to its superficial nature. It would turn out to be a pivotal decision, as in that same year Reignman tried out for the same network's first major battling event. A star studded field featuring legends like Marvwon, Big Ace and Locksmith proved to be mere stepping stones for Reignman, as he smashed every MC put in front of him on his way to winning the entire competition.

Soon after, he took on the victor of the show's second rendition, Wrekonize, in a bout of champions. While Wrekonize walked away with the victory, it is considered one of the most controversial decisions in battle rap history.

Reign put his MTV days behind him by running through the tri-state street circuit with relative ease. His impeccable performance quality, structure and flow made him a near perfect storm in battling, revered by fans from all different walks of the subculture. His record in Fight Klub was nearly perfect, including a massacre of 40 Cal that many consider his greatest performance. His flow mechanics have often been lauded as the greatest ever to be heard in a battle, and his style was unprecedented and oft imitated since his retirement at the top of his game.

Since his days of torching rappers from Philly to NY Reignman has grown up a bit, and claims that battling is a thing of his past. His music has continuously developed over the years, and his focus in this regard is unquestionable. But even Reign himself doesn't deny that the art form his hip hop style was raised in remains an itch that still needs scratching, and he has suggested that a high profile battle with a fellow legend like Iron Solomon or Math Hoffa could pull him out of retirement. And even the thought of Reign returning to the ring has his competition taking notice, trimming the fat and stocking up for war. That's what Philly's like.
    test
  3. abiramnathan

abiramnathan New Member

who is dis nigga?
    test
  4. Ayem

Ayem I Heart Myself

don't think i ever heard about that.. lemme guess, FK never put up that footage?
    test
  5. gregrieke20

lol yea...

He doesn't have a ton of online footage, but Reign Man was one of the greats.

[youtube]VRsxLna9JNc[/youtube]

[youtube]4F18Q4Qd1wc[/youtube]
    test
  6. gregrieke20

test
  7. Browser

Browser 455450

dope.

he deserves it more than most. good shit.
    test
  8. swpstateofmind

swpstateofmind i got da burna

Love it.

Greatjob bro
    test
  9. gregrieke20

Thanks fellas...and Ray thanks for putting me in contact with him mydude. Dude was mad cool in the interview, and was willing to help in any way. It was also cool to kind of talk with a dude who's done with battling for the most part.

It was basically him just telling stories about his battles, which for me was dope.
    test
  10. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

well done gregory. well done!

whats the update on the book itself? any updates?
    test
  11. gregrieke20

lol, thanks rock.

There is one publisher specifically that seems to be the most interested at this point. Their concerns are still the same (is there going to be a large enough audience to really take the time and money to publish this, which is understandable)...but with every new part I show them, the interest seems to grow stronger and stronger. They're very attracted to the idea of how the book has sort of come about. With interviews taking place with guys from all over the country and world, and that it covers all these different eras and so forth. They also said from a "book standpoint" joe's writing and the illustrations compliment each other very well. Like there's great cohesion there. That said, they definitely have reservations as well.

The publishing company itself is a bit of a more "out there" company that tends to take risks on different subjects similar to this, so i'm hoping the odds are in our favor.

Still got a ways to go, but it's getting there.
    test
  12. King John

King John ♛♔♚♕♛♔♚♕

Dam, Reign Man vs 40 Cal, I fucking hate Fight Klub for withholding some great battles.
    test
  13. Adam3000

Adam3000 Member

SMACK........who is dis nigga?
    test
  14. gregrieke20

but wait...someone already did that joke...adam get it together
    test
  15. OVOXO

OVOXO Well-Known Member

i remember reign man had some crazy bars

dont worry greg, lotta these dudes on this bitch only started tuning to battles when gt started poppin... they dont know bout reignman
    test
  16. Adam3000

Adam3000 Member

Rapmusic.com.........who is dis nigga?
    test
  17. gregrieke20

yet another swing and a miss adam.

to answer your question he was one of the first guys to win a major televised battle event ever. He was one of those rare guys who could appeal to both types of crowds (street & nerd, white & black). He had an extremely impressive record at Fight Klub despite regularly having to take on new york mcs in new york.

you should read the bio instead of continuing to unfunnily say 'who is dis nigga?' over and over...it could perhaps answer any other questions you may have.
    test
  18. 6thSense

6thSense Ashwin

Awww sheet.
    Im a big fan of reignman. Unfortunately just off the online footy but thats enuff for me to evaluate how nice he is. His battle verse vs reed actually one of my fav verses ever. Im bout to go listen to dat now.

Adam, mind ya bidness..OH, you got no bidnesss to mind.

Good shit greg
    test
  19. newtown

newtown New Member

this nigga reignman was on point in almost every aspect of battling,
    a great selection to the top 50
    test
  20. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

I think this typo is in the article as well.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.