50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Pumpkinhead (PH)

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it.

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is PH's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time - RapMusic.com (My apologies to the mods for not immediately putting it there, its just that I don't know if people are completely aware of that subforum yet, so I was just going to post two or three here until people are aware, then hopefully they'll sort of gravitate over there for these.)

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

Go back to the early 80s, and you’ll see him on a Brooklyn street corner, flexing his b-boy skills against the local competition. Move forward a few years and you might catch him trading in his kicks and cardboard for a mic and metaphors. Travel to the mid 90s and you’ll find him recording music with some of the greatest battle rappers of all time. By the late 90s you’ll see him winning the biggest competitions in New York. And today, you can watch him hosting battles in his home state and serving kids across the country. Pumpkinhead isn’t a time traveler. He’s a veteran with more battle stripes than almost anyone can compare to.

Already known around his community as a breakdancer, Pumpkinhead began his battling career at the age of 11 after a group of older kids claimed he couldn’t spit. PH wasted no time in challenging one of them to a battle and tearing him apart, beginning his long relationship with rapping. He developed his skills in local cyphers before eventually teaming up with battle legends Tonedeff, Pack FM, Jin, Mecca and Canibus to form the group The Plague, a collective Pumpkinhead claims helped him immensely in developing his skills as an MC.

PH earned his reputation on the battle circuit during an impressive run during the late 90s and early 2000s, winning Braggin’ Rites in both 1998 and 1999, and making the semi-finals of Blaze Battles in those same years. Such high placings are a testament to Pumpkinhead's skill, as those legendary competitions were a virtual "who's who" list in battling history, featuring rappers such as ADeeM, Breez Evahflowin’, Proof and Craig G among others. As a follow-up to those finishes, PH went on to win four End of the Week challenges in the early 2000s. Pumpkinhead was always a rapper’s rapper, blessed with immense technical ability as a writer and a liquid smooth flow. Highly successful as both a battler and a musician, PH quickly became one of the biggest names in the New York underground.

After spending a few years touring, Pumpkinhead again became involved with the battle scene in 2008 as the president of Grind Time’s New York division. Being so close to the ring again reinvigorated PH’s drive to battle himself, leading to a high profile showdown in the Fresh Coast against LA’s Dizaster. Despite being warned not to return to a much different scene against one of its most hungry competitors, Pumpkinhead earned the victory with a beastly performance. The next few years would feature him travelling across the country to face off with Grind Time’s biggest threats, continuing to build on an already legendary resume. And while he claims that he will soon be finished with battling himself, there is no doubt that PH will remain involved with the scene that built him. Already 25 years deep in the game, there’s no telling what the next 25 will hold.
    test
  3. flatlineMillz

flatlineMillz New Member

typo in the quote
    it's
    "...I'm concerned for you, you TOO fat to fit in a body cast"
    test
  4. gregrieke20

Yep your right. Thanks bro, I'll get it changed.
    test
  5. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

i cant wait to cop this book my only dislike with it are some of the willy-wonka-ness colors of the battlers pictures tbh no hate intended tho cuz this book>>>
    test
  6. Judgekure

Judgekure 48÷2(9+3)=288 tbh

This is whats really good actually.
    test
  7. andrewins

andrewins Well-Known Member

Nah these type of vectors are dope, so much harder to do aswell..Shading on this is so on point.. I cosign the designs fully
    test
  8. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

This particular article is written on papyrus.
    test
  9. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

Also, in the quote it should say "you too fat to fit in a body cast", you used the wrong "to". Otherwise, swell job.
    test
  10. gregrieke20

This was the 2nd "face to face" interview I had (the first being Lux). Its been really cool how each battler's personality has kind of come out in the interview. Lux was like very visual with long descriptions, Iron Solomon was really technical with his answers, Math was just fuckin funny, and the other guys interviews were almost similar to their battling styles in a lot of ways (or maybe that's just how I perceived it, lol).

The interview with PH was dope cuz the dude just told a bunch of stories. And it was really great to hear him kind of compare the new era to the old era, and to sort of get an idea about it from someone who experienced it first-hand.

I know it all sounds "fanboy-ish", but its definitely something I've noticed, and its been really dope.
    test
  11. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

Shout out to this hot shit.
    test
  12. PUMPKINHEAD/MAKIN'

PUMPKINHEAD/MAKIN' New Member

Dope really looking foward to the finished product !
    test
  13. Obaid

Obaid Active Member

Hmm...well written but he's definitely not 1 of the 50 greatest battlers. I would even go far as to say he's not even in the list. Just because u do it for a longass period of time doesn't mean you should have automatic entry into these lists...

I know I'm about to get PH's "ur a hater..." response but this is just me being real..he's just not very technical or skilled at rapping
    test
  14. gregrieke20

Thanks bro I definitely appreciate it, as its been a lot of work. And to Warlock, I actually had thought about changing the color scheme a few times, to like more "thuggish" colors, lol. But I just feel it would change the feel of the entire book if they were dark blues and reds.

The bios are very loud and fun, and I think the illustrations go hand in hand with that.
    test
  15. PUMPKINHEAD/MAKIN'

PUMPKINHEAD/MAKIN' New Member

no doubt son! I feel you but i think alot of people would disagree with you and some will agree with you those being mostly trolls ! but i respect your opinion
    test
  16. andrewins

andrewins Well-Known Member

Dead at PH not being skilled at rapping....cmon son

and I dig it greg, lookin forward to seeing the pictures in a higher res to see the details
    test
  17. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

idea- i think it would be important to include someting about Orange Moon Over Brooklyn in there as it's easily one of the best cd's put out by a battler and got production from jake one on the entire thing before jake one got big, it also included a lot of members from the plague on it

this was a dope article i dont have more time to comment because im in the middle of a paper and dont want to get too distrated
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Yea I agree. The only thing is I'd like for the articles to pertain mainly to the "battle careers". That being said, as I already told a few of people, the plan is to put a section in the back sort of listing the mixtapes/albums of ALL the guys in the book and encouraging people to check out their music.
    test
  19. gregrieke20

Thanks fellas.
    test
  20. swpstateofmind

swpstateofmind i got da burna

Great work!

PH definitely deserves to be in a top 50 list. If you disagree, you just don't know what you're talking about.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.