50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Okwerdz

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dentist

The Dentist Well-Known Member

he's OK with words
    test
  2. ng2k34life

ng2k34life New Member

The OP said here before that he doesn't usually use the quote on the bottom in the final product so I'm thinking it was gonna change from the get-go.

Its the author's choice on who he wants to put in so if he really believes Okwerdz should be in there, I wouldn't complain. Its not like he's asking at this point, "Hey guys I'm about to do artistic design and bio for Okwerdz, should I go ahead?"

He's asking, "Hey guys does my writing suck and does this picture look like Okwerdz?"
    ^^^^ that was only directed at a few of the replies.

As far as the writing, there's only two things that I might want you to consider:

1. Like someone already said, I didn't really feel the whole "Battle of the Titans" vibe you were giving when describing the Arsonal paragraph. At least in my opinion it wasn't a battle of epic proportions imo and I wouldn't want people weren't following battles 100% believing it was.

2. You could mention more what he's done after battling. I don't like him, but the dude's made a lot of music and was even a big part of the Fresh Coast Non Perishables CD's. If you just want to give a battle resume, then keep doing what you're doing, but as the reader I'd want to know more of what the guy does musically.

You've probably answered it in one of the many threads already, but what is the message you're trying to convey to the reader? Is it, "These are the 50 best battlers and descriptions of their biggest battles" or "These are the 50 best battlers and this is THEIR story"?

As I've followed your other bios, its been pretty consistent, but I'm just curious. You're pretty far along now so I don't see you changing your theme now haha.
    test
  3. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

To respond to the idea that the first paragraph might be a little too much THE GREATEST MOST LIFE CHANGING BATTLE THAT EVER OCCURRED for some, I'd say that:

a) It's written like that intentionally; a little melodrama goes a long way in these opening paragraphs in terms of setting the scene for a bio that is meant to build the profiled battler up as a titan of sorts and ...

b) Arsonal vs. Okwerdz WAS an epic battle when it came out. It was the first major crossover battle between GT and SMACK and there was still a ton of tension between the two scenes when it went down. That battle paved the way for a ton of great battles to follow, and when it was being set up and it dropped there was a huge amount of anticipation behind it. At least that's how I saw it.
    test
  4. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Yea the quote is always subject to change (though I think this is a good one, unfortunately its repetitive). At this point, you are correct, with the exception of the final few spots, I'm no longer really asking who should be in. I have to say that I gave people plenty of opportunities to choose, with at least 3 threads. Thankfully, many people gave their opinions and great arguments, ALL of which were taken into consideration, and the final list was made for the most part. There are guys on there I don't even care for tbh, but I think the list is incredibly solid. (If you want to choose please go this link:http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html)

I personally do feel the Ok/Ars battle to be of epic proportions. As a follower of the battle scene for a long time it was HUGE imo. Not just for GT or SMACK, but for battling as a whole. Sure there had been "crossover" battles before, but this was the big one, and the one that opened doors for many of the Cortez vs. TheSaurus and Arsonal vs. Pat Stay battles we see today. If you don't like the way its written that's something Joe will have to answer, lol.

As far as the guys' music I agree with you. However I'd always said I wanted the book to be highlighting BATTLE history, as to my knowledge there has never been a full book about that subject. So I really wanted to focus in on that, and still do. That being said, I plan on listing all the battlers music, albums, mixtapes, in the back of the book.

The message to the reader is "These are the 50 greatest battle rappers, this is their battle history, and this is their impact on battling." I feel like I can honestly say Joe has done a great job of portraying that message thus far.
    test
  5. RegularJoe

I heart you too bro.
    test
  6. gregrieke20

Idk if they have Valentine's Day in Canada, but if so, I'll be yours.
    test
  7. ng2k34life

ng2k34life New Member

To each his own I suppose. I wasn't trying to complain just saying.
    test
  8. GetPaid

GetPaid Well-Known Member

If the majority of the biography is about that battle with Arsonal and even mentions the divas line, I think you should find a new quote for the bottom of the page.

Good job otherwise. Though I don't particularly like Okwerdz as a writer, he is a beast with the freestyles.
    test
  9. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

okwerdz schemes are not simplistic imo... the way he delivers them makes it seem like it though.
    test
  10. RegularJoe

Yeah, I'll agree simplistic isn't the word I was looking for.

I think like Greg mentioned earlier in the thread, saying something like "direct schemes" would be more accurate.
    test
  11. Krown

Krown New Member

Okwerdz was one of the first battle rappers I ever came across, I think it was around 2002 or so. He was a beast in the freestyle format, I guarantee those trashing him would have been on his dick in that format.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Don't know if they'd be on his dick, but they'd definitely understand his selection that much more. He's more than an obvious choice imo.
    test
  13. nothing

nothing New Member

way too many essays in here to read but writing wise eh, freestyling hes cool.
    test
  14. jazegtnyvp

jazegtnyvp V.I.P. (BeastCoast NY)

Okwerdz strong performance against Jaze Juce made the battle an instant classic! LoL so fanboyish.
    test
  15. ghostofmooks

ghostofmooks 905

I offered to write some of the bios...the author's aight tho, don't hurt his feelings.

Y.O. YouTube - Tyler The Creator - Yonkers
    test
  16. deezenutsbiatch

deezenutsbiatch New Member

Jaze I know u mad and all but tell me what it really do? U think u beat okwerdz right? But yet... the majority of people think the opposite....RIIiGHT?(illmac voice)

Did u end up battlin ph at bola33 and a third? I ain't been forumbangin lately but I would like to know
    test
  17. Dunk

Dunk FROG JUMP LEAP

I really don't get the Okwerdz hate, that battle against Arsonal is still one of my favorite battles ever.

I agree that Ok vs Ars was an epic battle, because Ok made it into this massive us vs them/"nerd" vs "street"/GT vs FK and LD/west vs east type battle in his third round.
    test
  18. willyword

willyword New Member

smh at okwerdz in a book about the top 50 battlers... book is already hot garbage based on that and it hasn't even dropped yet... whats next passwurdz in a book called the realest nigga in the game?
    test
  19. RegularJoe

I got nothing but love for ya Jaze, but it's Ok's bio. And you're pulling that sentence out of context; the point behind it is to say that Ok put on a strong performance, had a battle that was an instant classic and that led to him coming out of retirement and battling full time again. You know, that whole "reinvigorated his passion" part you left off.

So really, I'm saying you're the reason Ok got back into battling in the first place. It's a high compliment bro.

You gunna make it back to Toronto for WD2? I still watch that Justice battle every once in a while.
    test
  20. RegularJoe

You're aight too Big Mook. Don't worry about my feelings though, I know my expository writing game is fucking fierce. :HappyDance2:

Edit: Figured if we're talking about my authorial skills, I might do a little self promotion ... if any of you guys are "into this kind of shit" I finished my first collection of short fiction this weekend - four of the stories have been accepted for publication in small journals, one of them was shortlisted for a CBC Literary Award last year (didn't make the finalists though) and you can read three of them on my website linked below. I dunno, they're kind "literary" and "post modern" but people seem to like them, maybe give them a look?

Also pick up Broken Pencil magazine (underground and independent literature review) where I regularly contribute, and be on the lookout for some shit I'll be writing for the next KOTD magazine. I also have an review of Adam Bradley's "Book of Rhymes: The Poetics of Hip Hop" coming out in the summer issue of the MediaTropes academic journal published through Ryerson's MA program.

Bomb bomb.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.