50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Okwerdz

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Okwerdz'. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1239826-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-mc-juice.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1250506-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-swann.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...atest-battlers-all-time-busy-bee-starski.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...greatest-battlers-all-time-hollow-da-don.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1261768-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-saurus.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1263817-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-eyedea.html

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

The Battle of the Bay 4 crowd sways side to side, almost in rhythm with the two MCs stalking each other like animals of prey in the ring. Arsonal, the current Fight Klub champ and East Coast street boss, pulls the band out of his hair to let his dreads fall loose around his face, his arms crossed defiantly as his opponent spits. Dipped out in a West Coast shirt and pulling his trademark Kangol over his eyes, Okwerdz crafts an opus ridiculing the scene Arsonal calls home. “You wanna battle?” he screams, “you gotta give Loaded Lux a VISA, and put a hundred G's up ... WHAT A BUNCHA DIVAS!”

As the crowd exploded, the legacy of a Fresh Coast vet became cemented in a single phrase. But for the man born and raised in Stockton, California, becoming the temporary face of the Grind Time scene was an epilogue rather than a beginning.

When Okwerdz was 17, he married his lifelong interest in shit talking with his freestyle skills and began entering battle tournaments across the Bay Area. While he struggled at first, eventually he hit his stride and began winning events Cali wide, earning his big break in 2002 while competing in New York's Rocksteady tournament. Okweez took the competition by storm, making it all the way to the finals before finally taking an L. He built off of the momentum he gained in NYC by entering competitions across the country, paving the way for other California MCs at Scribble Jam, winning Arizona's well-respected Mic Fights and introducing the country to the Fresh Coast flavour of freestyling.

After retiring to focus on music, Okwerdz found his battling career revitalized in the summer of 2008. Going in front of Grind Time cameras to settle a feud with Jaze Juce, Ok's strong performance made the battle an instant classic, and sparked his passion anew. A throwdown with his close friend Ex-I led to the aforementioned battle with Arsonal, where Okweez stood up for his coast and his scene in what would be a defining performance. His simplistic schemes were balanced with vicious personal material and an engaging delivery, instantly making Ok one of the most polarizing MCs in the scene. His next battles against street veterans Hollow Da Don and T-Rex, further placed the Stockton representer at the center of a stylistic divide in battle rap. Fans either loved or hated him, but regardless of their preferences, they were paying attention.

Today, Okwerdz continues to spread his love of hip hop and battling worldwide. Rumours constantly circulate around his next matchup, with fans and haters alike seeing a performance in the Ultimate Rap League as his next logical step. Whether Ok will step into the lions dens remains to be seen. But after over ten years of putting in work, his reputation as one of the biggest and most talented assholes in battle rap can never be questioned.
    test
  3. BITmafakka

BITmafakka GS palmin' the m1 garand

dope, that pic is really great.

Only thing i didn't like was that you used the "buncha divas" quote twice
    test
  4. itslinx

itslinx Unngghh!!

Let the Okwerdz hate begin.
    test
  5. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

ya this
    test
  6. Blanco_

Blanco_ Pacman GotTheGatMan

Okwerdz probably only made this list due to longevity cause we know it ain't for his talent.
    test
  7. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Hope you guys enjoy this one. Okwerdz is a fun dude to write about. The main theme I was going for in the profile was twofold, first to highlight his vastly underrated career as a freestyle MC, which people only familiar with the recent scene will be relatively unfamiliar with, and second to paint him as a controversial figure in terms of the written battle scene. I think the bio accomplishes those things; it tries to say "feel free to hate the dude, but know that at the very least you should respect him."

The next guy we'll be coming out with there should be no such divide on, just as a little preview ...
    test
  8. GRANDPA JOE

GRANDPA JOE New Member

I agree with the freestyling thing. Dude may have lost at scribble but he's a beast. I actually enjoy his written battles too.
    test
  9. Gwame

Gwame no luckycharms in ireland

"simplistic schemes" eh
    test
  10. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

This part seems a bit overdone and melodramatic tbh. I'd take out "sway[ing]...in rhythm with the two MCs stalking each out like animals of prey".

Also take out the "East Coast street boss" part IMO.

Otherwise great entry, and the picture makes Okwerdz look mad sensual :funny:
    test
  11. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

It's more than longevity though my dude. It's being considered one of the first new school California MCs to bring their style into a global spectrum. Being at Scribble before NoCan, Illmac, Bo-rat and Saurus did their thing. Winning competitions across the states. Recording and touring with the Hilltop Hoods and kicking frees in cyphers across Australia. And THEN coming back to the scene after years off and immediately becoming one of its most recognizable faces yet again. You don't think it takes talent to do that?

Say what you want about Ok's style or his lyricism or his schemes, but really that all comes down to your subjective preference in watching a battle. What's objective is his reputation, his history and the insane amount of success he's had as both a freestyle and written battler. You can't fault the dude's resume.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Pretty much everything Joe said here.

I agree with Gwame about the "simplistic schemes" thing, it almost sounds like a bit of an insult (though I agree with it to an extent, I just think there could be a better word than "simplistic"). I also agree about the quote being used twice, though it doesn't bother me terribly, I will search for another.

Also, I've never been to California. Does Stockton have a lot of palm trees? I googled "Stockton, California" and nothing too definitive came up, so I googled "Stockton california palm trees" and some came up, lol.

I just didn't want it to be way off, like if there was a representative from Rochester, and some ignorant designer put the Statue of Liberty or some shit.
    test
  13. gregrieke20

I actually think Joe did a great job with the first paragraph (as he has done with all of the opening paragraphs).

I was actually thinking of changing "boss" to just "rapper" or "battler" so I may still do that.

I agree about the "sensuality" of the pic, lol. Hadn't noticed that before...blue steel
    test
  14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Pipe Buster

yep "more direct and personal schemes" over simplistic.
    test
  15. gregrieke20

Yea. Since "personal material" is used later in the sentence, I'll probably just say "direct schemes". That seems pretty good to me.
    test
  16. ghostofmooks

ghostofmooks 905

he's

not

a

good

rapper
    test
  17. MCPamflit

MCPamflit New Member

I think I pretty much joined the site in conjunction with this thing taking off, great to see it slowly become a reality tho, would really like to own this book chanoo, gregrieke add me on facebook please

www.facebook.com/pamflit
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Being you're one of the new dope rappers in DF and one of the funnier posters here, it would be an honor Pamflit.

I just added you.

I'd just ask that if we get in an argument about why I think Nems is awesome, you don't post pictures of my sister or some shit like some nutjobs on here would do.
    test
  19. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

this is dope
    test
  20. Get 2 Da Choppa

Get 2 Da Choppa Well-Known Member

lmao.

okwerdz is dope but he he lost to arsonal and rex

he edged hollow though
    test
Thread Status: