50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: MC Juice

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reznick

reznick New Member

That was dope!

I like how you added "controversial" when describing the Nat battle. That needed to be said.

If I had to nit pick I would agree that the "was" in the first sentence should be an "is".

But great shit, keep it up
    test
  2. Blah Blah

Blah Blah New Member

I think the "was" to "is" in the first sentence is an extremely important change for more then one reason.

He isn't dead and should still be considered a current amazing freestyler unless he had some accident where he is slow or can't speak anymore.

This is a cool project. I'd buy this.
    test
  3. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

The "is" for "was" thing is a good point. The whole reasoning behind it is that he is no longer an active battler, hence "was". This book was inspired from a few books I own listing the greatest football and baseball players.

Former players, though still alive, were referred to in the past tense. "Jim Brown WAS a powerful running back". The issue is Juice still IS a great freestyler, but I just didn't want it to say "is", "does", etc. that might imply that he is still an active battler.

Perhaps I could change that first sentence to "When he battled, MC Juice was an unbelievable freestyler."?

I don't know, does that take away from how strong it sounds?
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

he is still an ubelievable freestyler though, he has not stopped doing this, it is not really the same as football or any sport....those guys will always be talents, but they lose the physical ability to play at a peak level, and they retired, so they are done playing
    test
  5. TheOmega

TheOmega Well-Known Member

yea but still you HAVE to freestyle everyday to be at the top of your game.
    test
  6. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

Using the past tense is correct language usage.
    test
  7. gregrieke20

I feel you, and thats why I said he still IS an amazing freestyler, but guys who are done battling, I want it to seem like their careers are in the past tense. I'm not sure why exactly, but I definitely do (I just think it adds to the "legendary" feeling. If they are still openly active obviously it will all be in the present tense)

Maybe the sentences talking about his music/freestyle ability can be in the present tense, and the parts referring to his battling career can be in the past? I'm sure there's some way of doing it without messing with the overall "feel" of the bio.
    test
  8. gregrieke20

D-lor's pretty smart, this may be good enough for me, lol.
    test
  9. Elaquent

Elaquent Gill Breathing

Juice can still hang with anybody on some freestyle shit today, should say IS instead of WAS, i agree, whether he's past his prime or not.
    test
  10. gregrieke20

Well whatever the answer is I just want to make sure its right. And I definitely agree that in a freestyle battle, there are few that could hang with Juice even today.
    test
  11. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Lor is right from a language perspective which is what I was going for. I have to keep the tense consistent throughout that first paragraph, which also discusses people not believing Juice was freestyling in the past tense. So keeping that first sentence in the past tense makes sense from a grammatical standpoint if not in terms of Juice as an active freestyler today.

Greg, i like the way you have it edited. I was thinking something like "In his prime, MC Juice was an unbelievable freestyler" which kinda speaks to both points.

I'm cool either way obviously.
    test
  12. RegularJoe

And I wanted to come in here for the young bucks who might not know just how ill of a freestyler we're talking about here and post up a few of these ...

[youtube]f7QJryv65Ms[/youtube]

[youtube]BMzMFDyPW8o[/youtube]
    test
  13. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

didnt em lose to rhymefest before his loss to juice? cuz the bio said it was em's first loss. i thought that rhymefest had won against em, then stepped out of the competition because he didnt wanna battle juice? i could be wrong tho
    test
  14. RegularJoe

Em has said in interviews before that the L to Juice was the first of his career.

I know that him and 'Fest battled, but I'm not sure it was at Scribble '97 and I'm not sure who took the W in that one.
    test
  15. Linesman

Linesman New Member

test
  16. gregrieke20

Actually yea, they're definitely right. Em lost to Fest first, then Fest bowed out cuz he didn't want to battle his friend (Juice) and so Em was allowed to advance.

Not sure how I forgot about that, but I'll basically just take out that sentence I suppose.
    test
  17. gregrieke20

I just remembered an interview where Em was like "It was the first time I had lost a battle" or something like that, and he was talking about Scribble 97 and I must've just associated it with Juice and forgotten about Fest altogether.
    test
  18. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Honestly bro.. all the same comments I left for the first few, I'd basically be repeating myself if I said them here. The layout is dope, clean and crisp. The pics are extremely interesting, very appealing.. However, I actually preferred the writing style in this one as opposed to the others. More centred and focused. RegularJoe did an awesome job with the first ones, but as a matter of preference, I like this style better. Find it more suitable.

Cheers.

EDIT: Didn't know RJ was still doing them.
    In which case, a little improved from the last few, def like the direction he took with the last one.
    test
  19. Mistake

Mistake Dougie Darko

duece leader may not of been that great at his craft but he allways deserves a mention when scribble jam is brought up.. And he also claims to be the only one ever to make juice shut the fuck when stage dived in that battle.. again duece was not a great emcee but he was decent and is alegend in terms of scribble jam
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  20. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

J-U Ice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.