50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: MC Juice

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Juice's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

MC Juice was an unbelievable freestyler. That’s not meant metaphorically. The Chicago veteran, for years arguably the biggest name on the battle circuit, is above such hyperbole. Juice was such a talented freestyler, people literally didn’t believe the verses he put together could possibly be off the dome. “Some cats can’t think quickly,” he says in DJ Organic’s documentary Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme. “And they can’t comprehend anyone thinking quicker than them. If I couldn’t just go into a zone, close my eyes, and just go...I wouldn’t even believe it.”

Juice spent his teenage years in California, but moved back to his birthplace of Chicago after graduating high school. It was there that he began building his musical career alongside Windy City icon Rhymest, eventually dropping out of college to pursue a life in hip hop. His reputation as a freestyle battler, with his laid back almost scientific style of delivery and pinpoint schemes, gradually grew as he demolished competition across the state of Illinois. It was at Scribble Jam in 1997 where Juice would lay down his claim to the battle rap throne against a stacked field including Rhymefest himself, Dose One, and of course, Eminem.

The six-round marathon finals that pitted the then unknown Marshall “Eminem” Mathers against Juice is rightfully considered one of the greatest battles of all-time, and not solely for the names involved. Both MCs put on clinical displays that would define their careers for years after the fact, Eminem as the international superstar he became, and Juice as the most terrifying battle rapper

Juice’s victory and ensuing appearances on the Wake Up Show caused heads and rappers alike to accuse him of writing his frees, an accusation he always took as more of a compliment than an insult. His abstract style clashed with what most considered to be the nature of freestyling, and led to one of the most hyped battles ever against the king of observational frees, Supernatural. The epic affair ended with Juice in an unfamiliar position, taking a controversial loss, the first of his battling career.

Taking a hiatus from battling following the defeat, Juice returned to Scribble in 2003 with an impressive showing. While he eventually bowed out of the competion to upstart rapper Yo Mama’s Pimp, he proved his skills had not diminished with time. In 2007 he joined with a six-piece live band, whom he still performs freestyles with today. Despite the dramatically different climate the battle world has become, Juice still feeels he could be successful and has shown interest in returning to the scene. “Whatever it is you need to be one of the top freestyle cats,” he waxes on Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme, “I got it.” Whatever it is, it isn’t going anywhere.
    test
  3. ReverseOsmosis

ReverseOsmosis aka Drone

test
  4. gregrieke20

Thanks Reverse.
    test
  5. Boom

Boom paradox

juices pic looks like a young vin diesel
    test
  6. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

the drawing is cool, but there seem to be a few oddly worded parts in this.....maybe i'm a tad picky or a tad r-tarded...likely both of these options
    test
  7. gregrieke20

Some of the parts I had to mess with slightly (taking some words out, adding some words) to fit the format. Overall I think RegularJoe is doing a great job with these, but definitely, please let me know which parts.

Thanks for the compliment on the illustration as well.
    test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

first sentence sounds like he is dead now....also his scientific style, which seemingly infers precision, later changes to an abstract style....sounds a bit off to me, but i may not have read it right
    test
  9. TunK

TunK Active Member

Dude I want the book, I'm serious
    test
  10. gregrieke20

Thats actually a really good point about the scientific/abstract style thing. Seems like a bit of a contradiction, though when it comes to writing I too am a bit retarded. I'm sure RegularJoe will see this thread and address it. Thanks a lot though, all that kind of criticism is a big help.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Lol, thanks. I'm happy to hear it. Hopefully all will work out with a publisher and such, and you will have one once its complete.
    test
  12. TheOmega

TheOmega Well-Known Member

rofl @ duece leader being part of the heavily stacked competetion. But great work man.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  13. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Mmmm that's a good point about the contradiction between scientific and abstract style.

What I was trying to go for was the nature of his delivery was so precise and pinpoint, he wasted no words when freestyling that it seemed almost scientific. The way he structured his frees was more like a written rhyme because of how tight they were. But the content he addressed while freestyling was more abstract than someone like Supernat or other dudes who stick to that observational style.

I suppose the best bet would be to just remove the phrase "scientific style" cause I sort of address that style by saying "pinpoint schemes" anyways. Could also switch the phrasing in the later paragraph to "abstract content." Whatever you prefer Greg.

And Omega, I know Deuce isn't exactly a battle legend, but I mean he did compete at Scribble for like 10 years or something like that. Has to count for a little, right?

Thanks for peeping and the feedback as always guys, criticism is appreciated.
    test
  14. TheOmega

one good showing in ten years? Ok i'll give you that
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  15. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Alright, alright.

To be fair, I put him in there cause Greg included him in the notes he gave me for this profile. Soooo ... blame him :funny:
    test
  16. TheOmega

still great article both of you guys. And juice >
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  17. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

SMH @ scientific and style being put in the same phrase
    test
  18. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

BTW I want this book when it's finished, I'd pay up to fifteen for it if its not like some stupid ass paper pamflit.
    test
  19. gregrieke20

In all honesty I put Duece in there cause he eventually became like the most active Scribble battler ever. But yea, he wasn't too good, lol, especially considering the names I've put him alongside in that sentence, and RJ is definitely not to blame for that one. I'll just fuckin take him out, lol.

Thanks on the compliment Omega.
    test
  20. gregrieke20

Lol, thanks.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.