50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Math Hoffa

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I like this idea. I went with the shot heard round the world reference because I'm often in a sports writing mode when I'm putting these together, and it was the first thing that came into my head. But the kid who put the smack in SMACK is definitely a stronger phrase and more relevant.

I'll give the rewording in the last paragraph a look - it can get a little dicey with these long compound sentences, I know, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little unclear.
    test
  2. Midemceeon

Midemceeon New Member

definetely like this one
    i knew some of the stuff about hoffas early beginnings but not as much detail as that
    very informative piece and good design
    test
  3. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Shucks, I just wrote a nice post explaining grammatical stuff, but RapMusic went shady on me and deleted it.

Long story short - Drones and Seattle are right about the last paragraph, but I think the rest of it comes down to personal preference rather than any hard and fast grammatical rules. So yeah, you should alter that last paragraph to say "Today, Math's ultimate goal is to combine his quality music with the marketing appeal that battling holds, aspiring to be at the top of both worlds," but any of the other changes I would say are up to you Greg - however you think it reads better.

And thanks for the feedback guys, it is a great help to get an editorial eye on these things, every little detail helps in figuring out clarity and such.
    test
  4. reznick

reznick New Member

"There is a market for everything man
    There is a market for pet psychologists nigga. There is a market for twisted
    shitfetish video's. For nipplerings, for riverdancing, for chocolate cupboard roaches..
    But you can't find one for cultured hardcore reality and hiphop?"

- Immortal Technique

lol, but really, I think with the right convincing and pitching (which Im confident you have been doing) they can be convinced.

I would present them factual evidence of growth, and prestige. Im sure you could gather some statistics with the views indicating obvious growth, and you could use resources like the KOTD MTV clips to show them the relevance.

Im not surprised the average publisher doesnt know much about battle rap, but like you said, there is a book on literally everything. Your book is actually fresh, exciting, and comes at a time in the midst of major growth of that specific sub-culture.

Well keep on the good work, and keep pushing for a publisher.

Also, have you thought of contacting all the featured people in the book to ask them their favorite battle, line, historic battle, etc?

You could put them on the back side of the page like a baseball card. But idk im rambling again peace!
    test
  5. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with Cozy's quote. Totally forgot about that shit. It's pretty great. Plus it would work perfectly with the layout.

The hope is to get it published, in which case it would obviously become a tangible book. I've had discussions with a few different publishers, a few who seemed very interested in the idea.

Hopefully all goes as planned and this will eventually be an actual book.
    test
  6. gregrieke20

Yea, there's definitely a lot of evidence as far as growth that I'll be able to show them. And hopefully some of the huge view numbers will help as well.

They also said its a good look that I've been contacting the rappers going into the book, not only because it helps the book seem more legit, but also that it will help with copyright issues and that kind of thing.

I sort of told them there is a large community that has been following battling for quite some time, and that its not just in the US, but in many countries across the world. One of the publishers suggested that when the time comes (when we have a considerable amount of the book done) to try and do an online petition to get the book made. Obviously that's still a ways a way, but its definitely something I plan on looking in to.

During most of the interviews some of that stuff has come up. Math said his fav battle was with Iron, Hollow said his favorites were Verb/Pass, Lux said his favorite was Mook, Nems said his favorite was Eddie Morris, etc.

But yea, I'll definitely try and get more info from them on THEIR favorite lines, battles, and so forth in the future.

Good suggestion rez.
    test
  7. reznick

reznick New Member

awesome

and yea I think RM could nail a petition easily

Good stuff keep us posted!
    test
  8. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

I really am one of the biggest supporters of what greg's doing and I do think he's the most well-rounded guy to do it. The way he keeps a level-head and clear mind around so many egos is actually incredible. Between anyone who knows though, because this will probably be my most favourite bio (awkwardly worded like a school girl) I would like to see the whole Louis from Dot Mob situation to emphasize Math's realness. This nigga don't fuck around and that shit was literally some eye opening shit. He got a Dot Mob nigga to apologize and bitch out ON CAMERA for some bullshit he said that discredited Math in a battle.

Either way, I'd really like Greg to provide some details on when this can be bought and through what medium.. I can guarantee I'll be on the purchasing list.
    test
  9. Gwame

Gwame no luckycharms in ireland

^^ Co-sign Greg. Might not be a bad idea to mention that situation either, but you probably shouldn't give names.
    test
  10. gregrieke20

Totally agree about the Louis situation. Would be dope. The major issue with that is that there are only about 400-450 words per bio, so you only have so much space to discuss certain things. And I'd really like it to mainly focus on the guys' "battling career" and not so much the life outside of that.
    test
  11. Thesis34

Thesis34 We fuck hot moms N shit

math hoffa most definatly deserves a spot in the top 50. and in my top 20.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.