50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Math Hoffa

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it.

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Math Hoffa's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time - RapMusic.com. (My apologies to the mods for not immediately putting it there, its just that I don't know if people are completely aware of that subforum yet, so I was just going to post two or three here until people are aware, then hopefully they'll sort of gravitate over there for these.)

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

Don't get too close. We all know what happens when you get too close. When the emotion of the battle takes over, when you refuse to take a step back, when your hat brim starts writing cheques your fists can't cash. By all means. Get aggressive, get brolic, get personal, get it in. Just remember the rule ... if you're battling Math Hoffa, don't get too close.

Math was a New York Bully long before he began rapping with his crew of the same name, spending his teenage years earning a living as a stick up kid in the streets of Brooklyn. Hoffa got his start on the streets, battling next to the same bodegas as his idol Notorious B.I.G. and eventually starring in the independent hip hop film Rap Wars One. His performance in the movie impressed Fight Klub executives, who decided to set up Math against Serius Jones in 2005. Math brought the FK legend all the way to an OT round before his attention was drawn into the crowd, beginning an altercation that would cost him the battle. It would be the only official loss he would ever take. After running off four consecutive victories at Fight Klub, including a bodying of Nems, Math got the attention of SMACK DVD who put together a battle with Philadelphia spitter Dose. Little did anyone know it would turn into the stage for the shot heard 'round the battle rap world.

Standing 6'3” and weighing 220 pounds, Math always had an imposing stature. Midway through his first round, with Dose moving into his area, Hoffa showed his persona matched his size, throwing a punch that began a stage clearing brawl that would go down as one of the most talked about moments in battle rap history. In 2007, Math parlayed the hype from the footage into a high profile throw down with Iron Solomon at the peak of his career. The battle would again take place on SMACK, and it turned out to be arguably the most competitive and divisive battle in the history of the art form.

Math made his return in 2009 with the newly formed URL in a highly anticipated battle with Harlem veteran T-Rex. Bringing his trademark style combining aggressive street lyrics and character driven humour, Hoffa put his name on yet another of the genre's most viewed and debated battles. Following that performance with another hugely popular URL joint against fan favourite Aye Verb, Math cemented his status as both a don of the old school and a problem with the new.

Today, Math's ultimate goal is to combine the marketing appeal that battling brings with his quality music, aspiring to be at the top of both worlds. Math has said he dreams of one day winning a BET Award, only to call out a mainstream rapper for a battle right there on the stage, a pipe dream that only Hoffa could make seem realistic. Just make sure someone gives said rapper a heads up first. Don't get too close.
    test
  3. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Dope as fuck.. I mean, once again you're gonna here complaints about the choice of quote. I think there's better but for the sake of what you're doing, I think its an acceptable choice. Really dope profile. I don't imagine you got into contact with Math though unless it was through Twitter. Most of this, minus the very last portion seems like it was based off mostly known and available info. Didn't include his win over Nems.. a little disappointed tbh. Either way, dope ass piece. Hoffa's the realest.
    test
  4. xCypherEDGEx

xCypherEDGEx xBar Tenderx

Cosign this
    test
  5. gregrieke20

I actually was able to get in contact with Math for this one. I got his number through both Hollow and Solomon (not trying to sound like a douche with that, as I feel its been an honor to talk to every one one of these guys, and in no way want to imply that I know them or some shit). It was probably the "funnest" interview I've had thus far as dude just basically told a bunch of funny-ass stories and seemed to be eating something the whole time.

Though it's brief, there is at least a mention of the Nems' battle. But once again, thanks a lot Diggles, your feedback is always appreciated. Thanks bro.
    test
  6. Slick Ick

Slick Ick New Member

this is my favorite battle rapper, and i think ur quote choice was about spot on. Not his best line, but that's trademark hoffa. Only other segment i feel personifies his style is his 'way too street for you' segment from the same battle. Dope write-up for sure.
    test
  7. Lucas.TdS

Lucas.TdS Member

Dope as fuck. The quote I think is Ok.
    Ay becomes Gay when a G is in front of him is dope to me too. Just saying.
    Math is one of my favourites, hope he gets back in that ring soon.
    test
  8. reznick

reznick New Member

greg you a boss

Did the rappers choose the quotes themselves?

Keep it up man. Will there eventually be a physical version of this to purchase?
    test
  9. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

No matter what quote you pick people are gonna talk shit about it. You did good with this once again, great job.
    test
  10. swpstateofmind

swpstateofmind i got da burna

Math is a good thing. Great write-up. There are better quotes, but you can't always please everyone, nahmean?
    test
  11. teacozy

teacozy New Member

I'd actually suggest quoting one of the few lines he actually got off in that Dose battle:

test
  12. California Kid

California Kid Well-Known Member

"This how Brooklyn do..everytime i look at you i wanna put a fist,knife,bullet or foot in you..aint no crook in you.." not really a good quote, but if you type it the way he said it (with some oomph) it'd be dope -_-
    test
  13. Dunk

Dunk FROG JUMP LEAP

Dope. I'd personally prefer that "I solidified my spot with gorillas" scheme he had against T-Rex to be the quote, but the write up and shit was great as usual.
    test
  14. CartmanGTSP

CartmanGTSP New Member

"His mixtape is named blood on my tims
    and his real name's Randy just like one of my mens
    I popped off on the dude who pulled the gun on my twin
    and Randy saved my ass washing the blood off my tims
    cuz cops stopped me outside, I don't expect yall to feel this
    but when my niggas see this shit they gon say HOFFA'S THE REALEST!!"
    test
  15. Dunk

Dunk FROG JUMP LEAP

"Mook and Lux, they can battle for the spot of the illest
    I solidified my spot with gorillas
    AND I DON'T ROCK WITH YOU NIGGAS"

Hoooooly shit. Math has that one round that disregards and belittles other battlers gangster persona (third against Rex, first against Verb). Dudes should not try to get on that G shit with Hoffa.
    test
  16. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

this is good shit greg, really dig this one
    test
  17. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the positive words guys.

This was fun to write. Made me realize as I was going through that one of the things Math told to Greg was absolutely true - he's never had a subpar battle. Pretty much every one of his joints has gone down as a classic, from Serius to Nems to Solomon to Rex to Verb ... while he doesn't have the same amount of volume as some others on this list, the quality of his battles is unquestionable.

I love love LOVE the "every time I look at you" quote that someone else put in this thread, but I'm also a huge fan of the one you chose already Greg, so it's a whatever moment. I think we can all accept at this point that the dudes on this list have SO many quotables it is very difficult to pick one that will be regarded as a consensus top line.
    test
  18. Kunty McPhuck

Kunty McPhuck aka Mr C U Next Tuesday

Chazz Duncan *laughs* That just says you've never done a crime. (i think thats right)

Hahahaha, the way he says it, kills me everytime.
    test
  19. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

Great blurb by Regular_Joe. I feel it's an improvement from the last too where the descriptions kind of went overboard to the point of being cartoonish. However, I noticed some grammatical mistakes in here that kinda made the reading a bit choppy. These are nitpicks, but I do think they could help your book.

In the first paragraph, "By all means. Get aggressive, get brolic, get personal, get it in.", I'm pretty sure a comma should be used instead of a period after "By all means".

In the third paragraph, "Midway through his first round, with Dose moving into his area, Hoffa showed his persona matched his size", there should be a "that" between "showed" and "his", as in "Midway through his first round, with Dose moving into his area, Hoffa showed that his persona matched his size.

Finally, the first sentence in the last paragraph, "Today, Math's ultimate goal is to combine the marketing appeal that battling brings with his quality music, aspiring to be at the top of both worlds", I think it should be reworded cause right now it doesn't flow that well. In a nerdy grammatical manner of speaking, Math's "goal" is the subject yet one of the actions is "aspiring to be at the top of both worlds", when that is actually Math's action.

Hopefully this helps.
    test
  20. gregrieke20

Yea I really like that quote. I always thought it was one of his best from that battle.

The only issue is I can't have any of the quotes (or anything in the book for that matter) have any kind of homophobia, as it would obviously be offputting to clients, employers, and so forth.

I also said I wasn't going to have any sort of racially charged subject matter, which obviously means I should probably change this quote, but idk, when you're "prejudice" against white people it just doesn't seem as bad, lol.

But I'll probably end up changing it.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.