50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Marvwon

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Marvwon's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: http://board.rapmusic.com/50-greatest-battle-rappers-all-time/

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

Detroit was once an industrial giant. The Motor City lived up to its namesake, housing an auto industry that draped a city in concrete to match its image. Growing up in the D meant you earned your accolades. You built your reputation on your back and shoulders. Detroit never frowned on success. It only asked that you work for it. With over 10 years in the game and his fair share of bodies strewn across North America, no battler has worn Detroit's navy blue collar better than Marvwon.

Marv first got involved with battling at the age of 14, in an attempt to prove himself to the older kids in his inner circle. The tough skin he took from his city would combine with his natural personality and sense of humour to make Marv a natural in the battle scene. He grew up competing against the D's finest, such as Young Miles and X-Factor, before finding his big break in an unlikely place. Winning a competition that included every prominent MC in the Detroit underground in 2001, Marv was given the chance to battle Eminem for the bonus features of the movie 8 Mile. While Marv ended up taking a loss to Slim, the experience was one that few battlers in the modern era can claim.

Two years later, Marv found himself back in the limelight of the battling world, as he fought his way to the MTV MC Battle finals in New York. He eventually bowed out of the tournament after losing a hotly contested battle to Locksmith, but there was no questioning the buzz that Marv had begun to build. The next few years would see him capitalize on that reputation as he battled in various competitions across the nation, including Fight Klub and a legendary showdown with Nems on the D12 hosted Who Wanna Battle? DVD, an all-out slugfest that many still believe to be Marv's finest performance.

In 2007, Marv became a household name in battling after partnering with Quest McCody to compete in JumpOffTV's World Rap Championships. The two dominated the Detroit division without taking a single loss, clowning on every opponent with their unique mixture of grimy bars and irreverent hilarity. It was only after running into Thesaurus and Illmaculate in the competition's semifinals that the pair would be taken out in what is considered one of the best 2 vs. 2 battles ever to go down. Following the WRC's, Marv took his talents across the modern battling circuit, facing heavy hitters such as Aye Verb, Cortez and Pat Stay, and showing his incredible versatility and ability to appeal to any audience.

Although he has recently made music his primary focus, Marv will never be one to turn down a battle if it makes sense to him. Marvwon wasn't given his spot amongst the legends of battle rap. He earned it, through blood, sweat and tears. The mark of quality craftsmanship just seems to fit best on a Detroit native.
    test
  3. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

Fat killahz bitch!!!
    test
  4. TurboMikey

TurboMikey Active Member

Yet again, dope ass article.
    test
  5. Dr. Sinister

Dr. Sinister The God of Tits and Wine

Like Nick Van Exel
    test
  6. Blanco_

Blanco_ Pacman GotTheGatMan

Greg you should have used the 'Len Bias' rhyme that he used against Cortez, but good article nonetheless.
    test
  7. gregrieke20

I wanted to use a quote from either his Famous or Nems battles cuz those were two of my favorite performances of his, but as always feel free to suggest any other quotes (or anything else about the article, design, etc). And thanks for the compliments Blanco, and everyone else.
    test
  8. LegitLux

LegitLux New Member

Rick Ross up in dis bitch.
    test
  9. itslinx

itslinx Unngghh!!

When this St. Louis niggas body flip... it will NOT be Ozzie Smith! mmmm..
    test
  10. crackalacka2

crackalacka2 Awful Poster, Ok Tagmaker

C'mon, son. Y'all niggaz can't be that retarded.

The only answer to the question "what quote to use for Marv's entry?" is his "All you gone see is the D over that navy blue like lil nigga, look what you made me do" scheme.

FOH w/ that other bullshit.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Lmao...yea I know. I really liked this pic a lot tho...and I felt it worked perfectly with the illustration style.
    test
  12. Gopher D'Gusto

Gopher D'Gusto Well-Known Member

I would've used the "beat yo ass" scheme if I was doing the article, but good shit, Greg.
    test
  13. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

Well deserved
    test
  14. Midemceeon

Midemceeon New Member

Ironic you do this
    and the detroit lions get the shit beat outta them by the packers lmfao
    test
  15. mellowdramatik

mellowdramatik Member

the link for the other ones u made doesnt work man
    test
  16. gregrieke20

Should be good now mellowdramatik.
    test
  17. crackalacka2

crackalacka2 Awful Poster, Ok Tagmaker

Thread made me peep some of Marv's battles, tbh.

Everyone talks about his 3rd, but his 1st vs Cortez is so fucking sick.

Damn, he was wildin on Nemz in that 3rd rd.

And his 2nd rds vs Pesci/Pat showcase how versatile he is as a battler.
    test
  18. scrotie

scrotie aka lil generation gap

the quote is perfect. that line was the dagger in that battle and that was my favorite Marv performance. don't think anyone can argue he doesn't deserve a spot
    test
  19. gregrieke20

To be completely honest, I kind of wanted some of the quotes to be from the era before gt, URL, kitd, etc...obviously illmac, Saurus, marv, n so forth have tons of quotables from the 'new' era, but just to sort of show that this shit has been around for a long time, or something like that, lol
    Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
  20. gregrieke20

And scrotie's right, it was definitely the 'dagger' of that battle
    Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.