50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Madness

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it.

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is PH's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time - RapMusic.com (My apologies to the mods for not immediately putting it there, its just that I don't know if people are completely aware of that subforum yet, so I was just going to post two or three here until people are aware, then hopefully they'll sort of gravitate over there for these.)

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

Wiseguys don’t like to be called funny. Joe Pesci proved that to us. There’s something demeaning about the term, almost dismissive. The funny guy is seen as one dimensional. The type to crack a joke instead of your jaw, even if the occasion calls for it. But then again, there is something appealing about it. The best comedians have a way of slitting your throat while you’ve still got a smile on your face. Just ask Tony Madness.

Madness grew up in Orlando, part of a burgeoning Florida hip hop scene that became one of the cultural centers of battle rap in the late 1990s. A natural talent in the battle arena, Madness won competitions across Florida, including the HUSH Show, Pro-Am and Writtenz events and highlighted by victories at Lounge Battles in 2003 and 2004, one of the biggest freestyle tournaments in the nation. Florida’s considerable battling talent at the time was always present at these events, providing any entrant with a level of competition that could only be found a few places in the world. Being raised in a scene with cutthroat veterans like Jin, Wrekonize, Jonny Storm and High Collide forced Madness to keep his blades sharp as he developed into one of the most feared rappers in FL.

In 2007, along with his musical partner Critical, Madness signed up for JumpOffTV’s World Rap Championships in the New York Division. The two used their direct observational style sprinkled with witty punches on their way to a 2nd place finish in the division and a reputation as one of the better teams worldwide. Travelling back to Florida, Madness emerged victorious at a third Lounge Battles in 2008, this time defeating The Saurus in the finals. This last tournament win preceded a move to the Fresh Coast, where Madness went about setting the tone for another scene reaching its apex in the battling world.

Starting by headlining the first Grind Time West Coast event with a rematch against The Saurus, Madness would go on to build one of the most impressive resume’s of any rapper in the league. He battled legends like iLLmaculate, NoCanDo and Kid Twist along with top up and comers such as Soul Khan and Sahtyre. The whole time Madness was also beasting in Oakland’s legendary Tourettes Without Regrets tournament, thriving in its laid back, comedic freestyle environment and adding multiple titles to his name.

Today, Madness continues to reside in Cali, making music with Critical and battling when the opportunity presents itself. He remains ever-present in the underground culture, known as one of the most likable and entertaining rappers on the scene. Defined by this personality, Madness will go down as one of the funniest and most charismatic battlers of all time. Just don’t forget the sea of bodybags he hides behind that hilarity.
    test
  3. gregrieke20

We've completed more of these, but as per some of the recommendations in one of the last threads, I will not post all of them from here on out. Maybe like every third one or something, so as to kind of build suspense for when it actually does come out, rather than just give you the whole thing to read, lol.
    test
  4. Shameless

Shameless Friendship is magic!

How sold are you on the quote? I liked his "You have more chickens in your backyard then the legend of zelda" scheme he had against Highcollide but can't remember if that was a 4 bar quote or not. Since I know you're picky like that.

Great work as usual.
    test
  5. swpstateofmind

swpstateofmind i got da burna

dope bro

good shit...
    test
  6. Orangez

Orangez V.I.P. Member

Sandwiches!
    test
  7. Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo Well-Known Member

[youtube]SlxksdyG_7g[/youtube]
    madness>
    test
  8. Kunty McPhuck

Kunty McPhuck aka Mr C U Next Tuesday

There is only one quote for Madness, sandwichs bitch
    test
  9. Somefaggottbh

Somefaggottbh New Member

Wow that shits too long so I didn't read but madness fell off and sucks now so he wouldn't be on that list tbh
    test
  10. Bleach...

Bleach... Put me in your markers...

Good idea, Might be good to post the quotes you're planning on using for the battlers so you can get feedback though. I think you discussed doing something like this in another thread though.
    test
  11. MaDneSstheKing

MaDneSstheKing Critical Madness

test
  12. Kunty McPhuck

Kunty McPhuck aka Mr C U Next Tuesday

That gif would of been EPIC if it had jazz hands
    test
  13. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I didn't realize until I started writing this just how accomplished Madness has been in both the freestyle and modern era of battling. The list of opponents he has behind him is ridiculous.

We're nearing the halfway point of this project, and it's always nice to see you fine people still reading and enjoying it.
    test
  14. gregrieke20

Not completely sold on the quote (though I do like it, and since I'm making a "leagues" section it'd be nice to get at least one quote from each league, and this would probably be the only one from DF...though if there's a better quote I'm not married to the idea of having quotes from all leagues, just thought it'd be nice).

It actually took me the longest to find a quotable for Madness. That's not a diss, but moreso a testament to like his wit. So many situations his setups were just as funny (or more funny) than the punchline, it kind of didn't work out as well when written on paper. He also had a lot of observational type disses so in every one I'd really have to kind of explain why he was saying the things he said...like "2009 battle with illmaculate, he said this because lllmac is 5'4" and is possibly half-polish, and does not have a very strong mustache" lol...shit like that where you kind of have to know the backstory made it tough, but its also whats made Madness so dope.

I also saw you're post in the sub-forum. Appreciate the continued interest, and trust that we are still working on this, and others are joining in to write other sections as well. I just basically didn't want to post the entire book, so as to add to the suspense, and also to get people to buy it in all honesty.

I'll probably post the quotes and maybe like the opening paragraphs of the ones I don't post completely (while still posting a few more completely). And I'll post the artwork as well.

Thanks bro.
    test
  15. gregrieke20

haters gon' hate
    test
  16. gregrieke20

thanks man.

I appreciate you giving me Reignman's number as well, that's a big one to get. He still hasn't responded as of yet (fuckin rappers, lol) but I'm sure I'll get a hold of him soon.
    test
  17. Slick Jeronimo

Slick Jeronimo OTBVA Senator Nominee

really cant wait for the book
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Thanks dude, its definitely appreciated.
    test
  19. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

Very nice tbf
    test
  20. TheGodOfPez

TheGodOfPez Whiskey for breakfast

Greg, I know it's still very early in the ballgame, but what price range are you thinkin' about selling this book for - or is it too early to tell? I know you're putting a lotta hard work in, and it's obvious you aren't doing it for financial gain purposes alone. I plan on coppin' a copy for sure. I think it'd be an awesome 'coffee table piece' or whatever cool people call books on top of a coffee table.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.