50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Iron Solomon

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Respect Bob.

Why is it that every time one of these threads gets posted, someone has to make an Okwerdz comment? Greg loves Kangol's, that's why he's in.
    test
  2. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

...its a rebuttal off the scheme from Math vs. NEMS.
    I'm up on my FK history, kthx.

And all I'm saying is that battle is one of the most watched rap battles ever. Iron went first and that was the opener and its been seen over 4+ million times by now. A lot more than Math vs NEMS, so the backstory isn't really important in terms of appealing to a mass audience.

Thank you though, for your single comment of trying to prove you know something and not contributing :)
    test
  3. TheCapitalRA

TheCapitalRA New Member

Done nicely and was a good read. I usually don't read these because I think your list is wack as fuck, but this was a good one.
    test
  4. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Its funny, I generally don't read your posts cuz they're whack as fuck, but this was a good one...aside from the part where you said the list was whack as fuck of course.
    test
  5. Diggles

^ Was satire included in the list..
    ....shoulda been, stupid motherfucker.

Hahah
    test
  6. gregrieke20

hahahaha
    test
  7. Diggles

I think greg's gonna owe RJ quite a few beers after this book's completion.

Memo: RJ is Canadian.. Greg's gonna be way shocked when a 24 costs 40$.
    test
  8. The Dentist

The Dentist Well-Known Member

no syco no care
    test
  9. AllWays

AllWays New Member

Put a poll of some of Iron's best lines and we'll decide as a group which quote to use
    test
  10. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

Anyone else find this section overly dramatic?

"This is how a battle rapper should be constructed. Lungs that take up the entirety of his torso, a pair of double barrel shotguns attached to his vocal chords. A mind with an unlimited amount of processing speed, filled with haymakers ready to be flung at any opponent. An appearance just out of place enough to draw misguided comparisons, ones that do nothing but play into a readymade reservoir of rebuttals. Without question, decapitating MCs is what this man was put on the planet to do. When God made battle rappers, Iron Solomon was the blueprint."

Also is this book going to have some sort of list where a battle rapper is crowned #1? Or are the 50 battlers not supposed to be ranked in the book? Cause the description makes it sound like the author thinks Solomon is THE best battle rapper.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

To be honest the majority of the bios give the impression that the author thinks THAT particular guy is #1. Busy Bee's starts out with "this page right here is the place to be"...implying its the best page of the book, and therefore he is the best battler. Serius Jones' bio discusses the entire time how easy it was for him to win battles. As though no one else could touch him.

I personally think its dope this way. Kind of put each dude on a pedestal. I think it keeps a positive vibe throughout, and sort of lets the reader decide who might be the best.

The battlers will not be ranked. I had originally thought I was going to do it that way. But since there are freestyle and written battlers; Battlers from the 80s and battlers from today; there would have been waaaaay to many factors to take in to make it numerical imo.

As for the overly dramatic parts. I actually agree. Maybe not neccessarily with that part, but I've actually told Joe that I did think that some parts might be "too much". But if two sentences out of every 2-3 bios are off, then I'm cool with it. I don't want him to change his entire mindset, and sort of mess with the flow of the book, just because a small part here or there might not be completely on point ya know.
    test
  12. RegularJoe

Fuck yes it is. That's what I was going for.

Maybe the dramatics are a little bit much at times, I can certainly see that. But when I'm writing these, I try to dial up the epic tones as much as I possibly can. I think that adds to the flavour of these bios.

I've got 500 words to prove to you that Iron Solomon is one of the best MCs to ever battle. I think a little bit of dramatization can go a long way in providing the proper feel for something like that.
    test
  13. gregrieke20

Yo seattlebattle. I thought you had some good points and I really appreciate you reading it. I guess I kind of already know the style Joe is going for, and I get the direction he's going.

Please continue to give suggestions in the future, they can only help.

I'm sure Joe didn't mean to yell at you.
    test
  14. RegularJoe

Haha nah man, I'm not trying to yell or be defensive. I'm just SAYIN' ...

Really, I appreciate the point too, and I also agree with it to a certain extent. I didn't think I came off as too upset in that post, did I? I'm not, I promise bros ...
    test
  15. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

I mean I understand the gist of what you're saying, but I feel there's going overboard. Like the whole "double barrel shotguns attached to his vocal cords" just seems too much and can turn off someone that's not a HUGE battle enthusiast. I sort of saw it with the Okwerdz one too and commented on it.

Maybe, but I thought this was the first article that seemed to really put a battler one a pedestal. I feel like the Okwerdz and Hollow Da Don bios, for example, are more subdued while still giving proper attention/respect to the battlers.

Just my perspective. And no I don't think Joe was yelling at me lol it's all good.
    test
  16. RegularJoe

Really? Shit, that was my favorite line ... I was trying to think of a way to sum up Iron's ridiculous projection and that really POPPED to me haha.

I understand your point though dude, and it's a valid one. I suppose it will be a good thing for me to keep in mind moving forward - the audience I'm writing for is not going to be strictly hardcore battle fans, and they might react differently to that kind of hyperbole than I'm expecting.

I appreciate the feedback, and thanks for reading these and commenting on them. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that people are feeling the work and that they have criticisms to give out ... it shows you care :afro:
    test
  17. TheCapitalRA

TheCapitalRA New Member

Slot-filler:

Bishop Brigante
    Jin
    Immortal Technique
    Madd Illz
    Presence
    Professor Green
    Respek BA
    Sage Francis
    Tonedeff
    Wrekonize

Missing:

Hommy Hom
    Soul Khan
    D-Lor
    Eurgh
    Sahtyre
    Swave Sevah
    Diabolic
    PackFM
    Loe Pesci
    Troy Brown
    test
  18. SenSIthreadS

SenSIthreadS New Member

hey greg

i know it has been mentioned a lot and you have already explained your position, but i wanna ask one more time for you to reconsdier hommy homm. I know he ain't done as many battles as a lot other guys, but IMHO homm hommy 'the phenomenon' has amazed, entertained and left such an indelable mark on battle rap that he should surely get some kind of joker card/wild card entry. just a thought..
    test
  19. TheCapitalRA

TheCapitalRA New Member

He did about 20+ battles. The two WRC seasons and a few Jumpoff Street Battles.
    test
  20. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

greg is what you call "the truth"
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.