50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time (illustrations complete)

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jul 6, 2010.

?

Math is now in. Please take the time to vote for one guy for the last spot. Thanks.

1. Reed Dollaz

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Marvwon

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Pumpkinhead (PH)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Whashisface

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Jae Millz

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Quest McCody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Diabolic

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Reignman

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Pack Fm

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. Arkaic

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

haha naw, he could illustrate em and just leave out a bio for the 5-10 people who are on the borderline and dont fit right into the 50 but deserve some mention
    test
  2. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I actually did. But I just assumed the same thing would happen there. I'd get a lot of "so and so can't even be in the Honorable Mention section?!"

Trust that as a huge battle fan it was tough to leave some of these guys off, but I had to make a cutoff point somewhere, or else I'd never be able to really move forward with it.
    test
  3. gregrieke20

Does this have something to do with you posting them on the other site?

You can be honest with me Mookie, I won't be upset :)
    test
  4. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

yeah that makes sense. in the end i hope it winds up getting published since i plan on buyin this to support and cuz its cool as fuck.

good luck with this shit
    test
  5. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

wow what a surprise!

anyway i got some ideas/questions about the book ill hit ya up sometime
    test
  6. tyronehouston

tyronehouston Well-Known Member

I know this has taken alot of work on your part, and I applaud you for taking the time to create this history book for battle rapping, but I'll just leave with this.

T-Rex was not the top dog but he has always been a top 10 battler rapper in NY for the last 10 years. Now just because your not the best in your scene doesn't mean you still not considered one of the best.

I mean you not choosing the best battler but 50?

T-Rex was James Worthy to Murda Mook's Magic Johnson, but James Worthy is still a Hall of Famer. You feel what i'm saying.

Okwerdz was unknown to everyone outside of the West Coast, and the smartest move he ever made was battle Arsenal, Hollow Da Don, and T-REX, he took on three of the best from the East Coast, and it made him known, more respect, and more of a legendary status in the battle rap scene. But Okwerdz himself would tell you T-Rex easily belongs in the top 50.

P.S. Jae Millz and Loaded Lux both said they got destroyed by Head Ice in their younger days, and the reason he gets so much respect in NY, is because he is one of the OG's of the NY battle scene.

And DMX is known for his legendary battle with Jay-Z
    test
  7. mookie wilson

mookie wilson New Member

Most are viewable again now.
    test
  8. gregrieke20

Thank you. Its really flattering and I definitely do appreciate it.

I feel you, but I'd argue Rex was more like Norm Nixon to Mook's Magic. Norm Nixon was very good, but not one of the best all-time.

This is just simply a case of not knowing about Okwerdz battling history. Okwerdz is one of the most seasoned and traveled battlers of all-time.

I highly doubt this.

Source please.
    test
  9. gregrieke20

No biggie. I was just playin dude, I think its dope as fuck you posted it on HipHopCanada.
    test
  10. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Greg is the man.. srsly enjoy this guy's opinion. Really down to earth and centered, unbiased perspective on the whole scene and he's realistic. Really happy someone with a brain attempted this rather than someone who doesn't appreciate or overappreciates a certain style. Most them shits is tough.

I will agree. Putting Eminem, DMX, etc. and a lot of mainstream industry rappers is extremely hard. I mean, they moved mountains.. but for hip hop and not battling necessarily and tbh they weren't half as active as the majority of the list nor did they really venture outside of their area. Plus its hella hard to prove and its more controversial to even consider them..

FYI.. All rappers had battles.. KRS-One, Eazy-E, whatever. But that shit should be considered more cyphers with friends than anything worth noting.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

more than welcome to hit me up now if you'd like. I'm definitely open to any suggestions
    test
  12. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Head ICE might have killed them in their younger days.. but that happens with plenty of rappers. I'm sure when Kobe was in elementary school Allan Houston, would've ran a smackdown on that ass (pause).. but that doesn't mean that anyone should ever consider Allan Houston a HOFer. Cause he beat Kobe... when Kobe was a nobody and hadn't fully developed.

Do you see the flaw in the logic of wanting to induct someone based off wins over notable names before they were even notable names or even that skilled?
    test
  13. tyronehouston

I agree Okwerdz was a seasoned battle vet, but no one outside the west knew who he was, until GrindTime and him battling the east coast, lol.

Iron Solomon was a seasoned battle vet as well, but it wasn't til Jin and Math Hoffa, on Fight Klub and SMACK that he became legendary status.

Jae Millz
    YouTube - TRUE STORIES RADIO W/ JAE MILLZ PT. 2

Learn some more battle history, lol.
    test
  14. heebs907

heebs907 GS ICEY

well. id disagree, i think he was getting pretty known at rocksteady and scribble in like 03-05 era.
    test
  15. kingofrap99

kingofrap99 New Member

You are actually correct IMO. The best player in the Filipino Basketball Association isn't going to make any Top 50 of all-time lists. Thats sort of how I feel about Organik being on this list....... especially in light of who was left off it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  16. tyronehouston

Thank You, at least I wasn't the only one that felt this way. lol

Organik does and will belong in the great history of battle rapping, but it will be the legacy he leaves behind as the founder of KingoftheDot, and for that he should always be proud of that.
    test
  17. gregrieke20

This just simply isn't true Tyrone.

There's some truth to this, but it is in no way completely true. No offense, its just that you give the impression you haven't really watched a lot of pre-2006 or 2007 battles.

Well I'll be goddamned your right. I knew Ice been battling forever, but this only proves Diggles point above. Head Ice beat Millz when he was a kid and Ice was a man. Before Millz was good, he basically says it in the interview, lol. If they were to battle now it wouldn't even be close.
    test
  18. tyronehouston

Ask any of the battle rappers in NY if they ever heard of Okwerdz before he battled Aresanal???

Vice versa, anybody on West Coast would know who T-Rex, Murda Mook, Loaded Lux, etc...

I didn't watch pre 2006, I live in Atlanta, GA, but we knew about the Smack battlers and didn't know anything about Scribble Jam at all. I hate to say this, but that was for nerd backpackers and black people in general weren't into that. I got exposed to the Fresh Coast when the WRC's started.

I'm not talking about if Head Ice had won or not, i'm talking about his impact. You can't be great if you don't have any impact. But I can see how you leave Head Ice out, but the rest of the battlers I mentioned, c'mon son, lol.

P.S. Okwerdz would have chosen T-Rex and Head Ice over Organik. ICE!!!
    test
  19. Krown

Krown New Member

Thats simply east coast bias. You could ask them about the saurus, scribble jam,etc... and they would say "Ive never heard of those nerds" just to be assholes about it. To me, Mac Mall is one of the greatest rappers of all time...east coast fans for years on the net do the typical "who?" or responses to get under the skin of the few west coast posters. NY rappers live in their own little bubble and dont acknowledge anything else...thats the difference, just keepin it 100. GT forced them to pay attention because of $$$ and exposure.
    test
  20. tyronehouston

You are right, but it is what is. There's an east coast biased to everything. I'm from the South, and no one is going to tell us we don't have the best college football. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, it is what it is.

New York is the home of rap and battle rapping so the West Coast will always want to try to get acceptance, where most of NY doesn't care what the west coast thinks, that's why their diva's.

If a battle rapper becomes dope in NY everyone in the USA will know who he is. If a battle rapper becomes dope in the West Coast he has to do something nationally before he becomes known to every one else. Mac Mall is not known to alot of people. Hell Aye Verb and the other St. Louis cats knew you have to go to NY to get known nationally in the battle rap scene. He also went out west.

Thesaurus and Illmac got crossover status after the WRC's. Okwerdz got crossover status after the east coast rappers. Mac Mall is not known. And I will state this again. Scribble Jam was nerd backpacker rapping. You can't be the best winning that. The east coast looks at the rapping style as a joke. That's like winning a marathon with no Kenyan's in it.

Just keeping it 100.
    test