50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time (illustrations complete)

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jul 6, 2010.

?

Math is now in. Please take the time to vote for one guy for the last spot. Thanks.

1. Reed Dollaz

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Marvwon

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Pumpkinhead (PH)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Whashisface

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Jae Millz

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Quest McCody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Diabolic

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Reignman

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. Pack Fm

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. Arkaic

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. teacozy

teacozy New Member

yeah, in the pruning I feel like poeple should keep in mind a balance of influence AND their win record. Greatest =/= Best. Pac is the Greatest Rapper of All Time, but far from the best, if you get that nuance. Stature, basically.
    test
  2. filthrich

filthrich Guarocuya

Thats whats up. Yes, in 86 nms mc battles he won the championship against T La Rock and Robert S. In 87 the finals were grandmaster caz vs king sun vs melle mel in a 3 way(pause) championship battle, with melle mel winning.. Caz was the 1st to mc/dj at the same time, probably the 1st ghostwriter("rappers delight") in hip hop. He also was one of the very few who could adapt from the system battles(mid 70's), to early mc battling. Think wildstyle(late 70's-early 80's), to the straight mc battles as we know them today(early to mid 80's). Caz goes unnoticed while these cats who been battling since the early 2000's think they are some types of pioneers.:funny:
    In the 80's they were already doing freestyle battles, timed written battles over beats and acapella(new music seminar). 5 on 5 line for line crew battles. etc.
    Reading through some of the 50 greatest, one can see a lot of hard work and effort has been put in to this project.Much success on this.Peace and respect.
    test
  3. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Grandmaster Caz in for Dumbfoundead.
    test
  4. gregrieke20

This is pretty much spot on.
    test
  5. Shameless

Shameless Friendship is magic!

I feel you. There's about 10 other guys I could argue on this list that in my personal opinion that shouldn't be, but considering how i'm not the one writing the book you probably know much more on the subject of battling than I do. I've watched every scribble, brainstorm, WRC, most of fight klub and then every other battle in between all that near religiously. But there's probably a lot of shit I'm missing that you can credit these guys for.

Good stuff replacing DFD with Caz btw.
    test
  6. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Out of curiousity.. I see you have already created an image for DFD though. So what do you plan on doing with that, just scrapping it? ....gees bud, I get how you wanna include everyone's opinion but flip flopping on the list does create more work for you in some cases.

...not insinuating flip flopping as indecisive in this instance. Just as concessions to opinions, reason, whatever. Lol..
    test
  7. gregrieke20

Tbh. I don't plan on doing much more flip-flopping. And I also really liked the way the DFD illustration came out, but I think its more important to get the list right. And Caz definitely deserves to be in. I also created the image for Pass already as well, so it'll be more work making Verb's.

You're right tho. These shits take quite a while to make, so even though I said it before, lol, I'm VERY close to having it set and just posting the spreads from here on out...I promise
    test
  8. NiceWithTheCuts

NiceWithTheCuts Digger Extraordinaire

Yo greg, what was the train of thought on going with the color scheme you choose for the battlers pics?
    test
  9. gregrieke20

The inspiration for the color scheme came from some old flyers I saw a while back on some different battles/shows from the 80s. I thought they were really dope, and it just seemed like a good fit.

I know some people have said they thought the color scheme was "gay" or whatever. But I personally feel it really goes with the bios hand-in-hand.

Of course I want the book to be informative and interesting, but most of all, I want it to seem like a "celebration" of these great battlers. I know that sounds gay, lol, but I can't really think of a better phrase.
    test
  10. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Truest/dopest thing I've read in this thread so far.

I stumbled upon this earlier today and as I read and see the artwork I'm definitely interested. Amazing project man I'll be picking one up.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Thanks bro. Appreciate it, it really means a lot.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Upon finding out that I can look at the tags now that my name is blue, I decided to look at some.

I'm not "calling anyone out" but Warbux made the "no warbux?" and "u forgot warbux" tags...that's hilarious, and I am now officially a warbux fan.
    test
  13. Deathscythe

Deathscythe 215

That's pretty funny...
    test
  14. Thesis34

Thesis34 We fuck hot moms N shit

Dude, I respect the fuck outa you for making this. I'd buy it when it releases no questions.
    test
  15. Tom HAAANHKS

Tom HAAANHKS That digga

This looks dope as fuck. I'd buy the finished product in a heart beat. Very good work man.
    test
  16. Hellsing

Hellsing bakahashinana-kyanaoranai

how the f is madness, arkaic or ex-i in this and not conceited?

when neither of those have ever battled a legend such as illmaculate, or anybody else worth mentioning and won.

and drec? seriously? greatest battle rappers of all time? roxane shante made songs clowning people she was never in a battle.
    test
  17. gregrieke20

Arkaic and ex-i aren't in it. They are in the "just missed it" category.

Drect is in the book for the CONTRIBUTORS section, not rappers.

Conceited is not in it because he is neither good or influential enough.

Roxanne Shante has been in many many battles, most notably the finals against Busy Bee in the 1985 New Music Seminar tournament when she was only 15 (which she was robbed of the win). She has also battled Craig G, Melle Mel, and many other hip hop legends. She was also one of the first mcs to really perfect direct disses at her opponents in battles.

[youtube]MWpd-j-9AsM&feature=related[/youtube]

Another battle from NMS
    [youtube]fX3YQ8RiddU&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]B00v_02I1bM[/youtube]
    test
  18. humanthps

humanthps New Member

u need dos noun and ron noodles up there
    test
  19. Deftboogie

Deftboogie New Member

This list needs to be revised .

The book "looks cool" but by what standard are the rappers judged ?

Who is your target audience ?

I admire your ambition but how would Shepard Fairey feel about your illustration's ?

I don't intend to be hypercritical or stifle your creative process but rather than create something subjective like the "50 greatest battle rappers" , why not create something objective , substantial , and timeless .

A history of "Battle-Rap" , give people on the outside looking in an understanding of this sub-culture within the culture of Hip Hop .

I would suggest the arrangement of the book become chronological rather than alphabetical , explain the evolution of this sub-culture and the significance of the people involved .

I will say again , I admire your ambition but I have my qualms with this book .
    test
  20. Deftboogie

Deftboogie New Member

Where is Skillz ?
    test