50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time (illustrations complete)

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jul 6, 2010.

?

Math is now in. Please take the time to vote for one guy for the last spot. Thanks.

1. Reed Dollaz

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Marvwon

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Pumpkinhead (PH)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Whashisface

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Jae Millz

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Quest McCody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Diabolic

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Reignman

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Pack Fm

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. Arkaic

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

as much as i love marv, and he has done more gt battles, been more active lately, etc, i feel like quest has gotten more accolades for battling overall
    test
  2. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Lol, neat...perhaps you could suggest a "cooler" way of contacting some of these guys?
    test
  3. gregrieke20

Yea, I actually had interviews with some "street" rappers recently that I thought were going to be really difficult to contact. But thanks to the help of some of the other guys on the list, they made it a possibility.

Also, thanks to SEVERAL people on here for giving me various people's facebooks, twitters, emails, and so forth. It really helped a lot. Though not all have responded as of yet, a good majority have.
    test
  4. gregrieke20

I know you've been following this project along the way, why would you put Quest in over Marv?...I'm a fan of Quest, but tbh, not completely familiar with all his accolades. What would be your argument for him? Cuz although the list is getting pretty close, its still not set in stone.
    test
  5. gregrieke20

Me too. He should have been there from the beginning to be honest.
    test
  6. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

well other than him doing well in wrc's and winning a lot of tournaments around detroit, making it to the finals in spin the mic was pretty impressive considering the field there. i know he said on here he beat franco in a tournament. these are just the results i know of, so im sure there are more.
    actually, thinking about it, marv probably has a pretty comprable resume to that.. idk, tough to call. i guess what i meant is that its weird to me that marv got so many more votes than quest cuz i feel quest is just as good of a battler, maybe better. id like to see him on the list, and i think he has the resume for it
    test
  7. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

there are literally like 10 names you could drop for Aye Verb and company.. hmm

lmao i may just be biased.

presence.. anecdote..?

IDK bro, seems to me like we got some obscure "just because" names on the list. Aye Verb has some of the best shit ever in battle rap, and is widely respected for it.
    test
  8. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Within the last few years though. Most of these names have put in work and have some physical accomplishments. And yes, you are just biased.
    test
  9. teacozy

teacozy New Member

I feel like, checking out the update, that Technique and Anecdote shouldn't be on there. I don't think they were necessarily talented enough in either format to take the spot of other select rappers.
    test
  10. gregrieke20

I've now taken out Passwurdz and put in Aye Verb.
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Anecdote DEFINITELY deserves it imo. He and Justice are basically like the "pioneers" of battling in Australia. His Battle for Supremacy performances and other performances in AUS really give him a lot of validity. Not to mention his first international competition (to my knowledge) was the WRCs where he ended up winning (deservedly) the MVR rapper award for the whole competition. He beat out Saurus, Illmac, Nocan, Hollow, Diz, Marv, Eurgh, Kid Twist, Madness, Dumbfoundead, and many more for that award. Pretty impressive imo.

I can see the point about Immortal Technique, though I think there's reason for him being up there.
    test
  12. filthrich

filthrich Guarocuya

Peace, don't know if this has been addressed already somewhere in all these pages but, how can you have a 50 greatest battlers of all time and not include Grandmaster Caz. Casanova Fly aka Grandmaster Caz has done more for battling, and hip hop in general than ANYBODY on the list. A true hip hop/battle pioneer.

Just to name a few he's battled (as part of cold crush and solo)

afrika bambaataa(p.a.l., system battle)
    Mock battle from wildstyle.(cold crush vs fantastic freaks)
    Grand Wizard Theodore and the Fantastic Five
    force m.c.'s (later force m.d.'s)
    Spoonie Gee
    Busy Bee
    King Sun
    Melle Mel
    Bango
    t la rock

Caz once said, “It’s like I don’t care if God, Moses, Abraham, and Jesus, come down here to battle us, we bustin’ they ass.”
    from the system battle's in the park in the 70's to mc battles in late 70 throughout the 80's Caz was a problem.

In 1998, Caz was listed #11 out of Blaze Magazine's Top 50 MCs of all Time
    Here's one of his verses from the 1987 new music seminar battle's

verse from grandmaster caz. vs melle mel
    [youtube]r5ZzWEVGwA8[/youtube]
    a 1 minute round, written rhymes over a beat in a battle
    in 1987.
    test
  13. teacozy

teacozy New Member

bro, if you replace Immortal with someone more contemporary/winning, the shots are on me.

shoutout to bodega Guiness
    test
  14. gregrieke20

I actually really agree with this, and after my research on the "old school battlers", I had been thinking about putting Caz in for a minute. To my knowledge Caz is one of the few MCs to compete in the New Music Seminar battles in more than one year. And the guy truly did battle the best of the best of his time both with CCB and solo.

Tbh, I'd thought about putting him in a while ago, but honestly I must've gotten so deep into the project I somehow must've forgotten him or something. I'm really happy you reminded me. The list is pretty well thought over at this point, but I'll almost definitely find him a spot.

Thanks man.
    test
  15. gregrieke20

hahahaahahaha...man I'll do my best, though I do think there are reasons IT should be on...but this shit is a lot harder to decide than I thought it'd be, lol.

Regardless, beers in bodegas are a must...along with Sunbelt granola bars, UTZ Salt and Vinegar chips, and 99 cent carrot cake.
    test
  16. gregrieke20

I've thought about taking Dumbfoundead out as well. What do people think about that?
    test
  17. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

Hmm.. I would've thought that Pass would stay more than Dumb. I don't know the accolades side of it, but I do remember thinking that Dumb was fairly unimpressive throughout all of the WRCs and never really shined until GT.. where he only really faced one big name arguably.

...I don't know if I necessarily agree with putting Aye Verb up there though. I think he's dope, but I think he's very much on Soul Khan level. Somewhat of a new-comer with some others more deserving than he is. I think once you add Aye Verb you're gonna have a lot of people aiming to get people like Holla, Ill and others in there, and to me that's ridic.
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Yea honestly when the list was originally made was when Dumb was essentially at the height of his popularity in GT. It was that time when he was basically thought of as one of the 3-5 best battlers in GT and even the world. I think the natural thought was that he was going to continue on that path, but in reality, he retired. And like you said, he never really did much in the WRC's. I mean he was good in them, but I don't know if it was really enough for him to be considered with some of these other names. Aside from GT and WRC's I'm not really sure what other battles he's been involved in. All that said Dumb is one of my personal favorite battlers.

As far as Verb, I also kind of agree with you there. To me its like putting Derrick Rose on the 50 greatest basketball players of all-time or something. Like I said, this shit's hard. One thing is though, Verb basically put STL battling on the map. I mean he ran that WW league in St. Louis. He was the one who came to NY and killed SB opening doors for A LOT of the MW vs. NY battle shit we see today. Not to mention, he's dope as fuck. But yea, there's no fucking way Hitman Holla and Ill are going on there (even though I think they're both great as well)
    test
  19. Shameless

Shameless Friendship is magic!

Honestly?

Neither DFD or Jin need to be on the list.

DFD is dope as hell to me but who has he honestly beaten besides PH? Illusion Z? Tantrum? Any true "Top tier" (I fucking hate that phrase) competition he's been put up against has beaten him. Kid Twist, Thesaurus, etc.

However, he's one of the kings of clowning in my opinion.

"I know you're not mexican and that's fine by me
    But to the rest of the world you are mexican and I am chinese"

"My name is big P and I'm here to say"

"Be mellow stranger, it's an honor for me to finally meet the bitch behind the yellow ranger."

"After that battle you got down on both knees in front of your father and said "I've failed you."

He's hilarious as fuck. So I can understand why you'd initially have him on the list. But I can also understand why you'd take him off.

Jin...Is overrated as fuck. I've seriously watched nearly every battle with him and tried to figure out what the appeal is behind the dude. 106 and park battles were mediocre as fuck (One rounds...Challenger always goes first so no chance for rebuttals... Shit was a joke)

Seriously what do people find so interesting about jin? The dude bodied Aspire in maybe all of the battles I've watched in him, but everyone has bodied aspire so that's not really much of an accomplishment.
    test
  20. gregrieke20

I understand people's concerns with Jin being on the list, but people have to also understand he was INCREDIBLY influential as a battler. He also had some of the best "presence" or "swagger" or whatever when he was in his prime. He was a 106 and park champion. A Fight Klub champion. A Braggin Rites champion, and so forth.

I understand some people may think he's corny and everything (and I get why), but in his time he was great for what he was.
    test