50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Hollow Da Don

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Hollow's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1239826-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-mc-juice.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1250506-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-swann.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...atest-battlers-all-time-busy-bee-starski.html

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

Breaking your broad's hips, legs, jaws, lips? Stabbing you in the neck with the pen you wrote your shit with? Driving by your funeral with a t-shirt that says “I did it?” Even the simple act of shaking your hands with balled fists? Yes, at this point, it's been established. That's the Don's shit.

Rarely in the recent years of battle rap has an artist left the stylistic footprint that the Brooklyn born -Queens bred MC Hollow Da Don has imprinted on the scene. His spastic, horrorcore, at times nonsensical schemes and patterns are recognizable to even the most casual battle rap fan. And don't bother fighting fire with fire. It's a well known fact, you can't beat the master with the style that he made up.

Hollow got his start on the streets of New York and Houston, where he moved after turning 14. Like many legends of the craft, battling came naturally to him, transitioning from the cypher to the throwdown with confidence and without difficulty. In 2006, he took his experience to BET's Freestyle Fridays, where his murder streak of seven straight opponents left him in the Hall of Fame. The next year he continued to get his freestyle reps in, putting up a strong performance in the Houston division of Jumpoff's World Rap Championships, earning an MVP nomination and a respectable 8-2 record.

Despite his considerable skills as a freestyler, Hollow's career would take off with the birth of leagues where MCs could blend their frees with written rhymes. Making his debut in NYC's Fight Klub in 2008, Hollow steamrolled the competition, winning ten straight battles before finally falling to New Jersey's Arsonal in a controversial matchup. At the same time, Hollow was tearing through the newly formed East Coast division of Grind Time and making trips out to the Fresh Coast and St. Louis to clash with their veterans. A student of the game, Hollow claimed that his knowledge of battle rap and its fans allowed him to succeed in any environment.

However, it would be back in his home of New York where Hollow would leave his biggest mark on the world of battle rap, debuting in SMACK's Ultimate Rap League against Chicago's Big T. Hollow absolutely dismantled the Chi-Town representative with what is arguably the most complete and devastating performance ever recorded on a URL camera. His mixture of northern and southern slang, vicious street bars and ridiculous joke concepts won over the URL crowd in a way few rappers can.

Today Hollow resides in The Bronx, recording music with his Loyalty Ova Money crew and biding his time until his next big battle. Whoever steps up to the plate better come prepared with an arsenal of tricks if they expect to beat the Di-ni-ni-non at his own game; as Hollow himself is guaranteed to tell you, they're going to need it.
    test
  3. andrewins

andrewins Well-Known Member

thats incredible..good work man
    test
  4. SpAnKy

SpAnKy 플레이보이

That's great man.

Good shit ^^
    test
  5. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

Much respect to what you're doing gregrieke20
    test
  6. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

damn son

publish this and sell it

you will make at least 10 grand
    test
  7. gregrieke20

Thanks. Its appreciated.

I can't always tell if drew's serious or not, but 90% of the time its funny. But yea, the idea obviously is to get it published. The publishers I've spoken with definitely seem interested, its just they want to see more of it completed first, which is understandable.
    test
  8. gregrieke20

I encourage you to read the other bios in the links at the top if you haven't already. RegularJoe has done an incredible job with all of them.

I know people would be more likely to read the guys like Diz and Hollow's, but he's done an equally amazing job with the others as well. Plus for some of the newer fans, you can learn about some of the "old guys".
    test
  9. Creation

Creation New Member

if ppl new who he said that line to at the bottom, it would be so much better lol
    test
  10. nymphlow

nymphlow New Member

this is sick, as a designer myself i can really appreciate what you are doing with this in all aspects. really dig the vector/clip art steez for the portrait, the colors break it up nicely too
    test
  11. gregrieke20

Yea, its there bro. With a brief description as to why he said it. So even someone who's never seen a rap battle would "get it".

This does bring up an interesting point though. I remember when I was asking for quotes ppl had suggested I use certain ones for Illmac's page for example. They suggested I use very in-depth ones from his battle with Thesaurus. Even though everyone here knows how dope those were and why, others may not. I want all the quotes to be able to be understood by both the most casual and hardcore battle fans alike.
    test
  12. gregrieke20

Thanks man. Appreciated. I've never visited the "design" section of this site, but I thought about posting it there. But just never really took the time out to do it.
    test
  13. teacozy

teacozy New Member

ill. The bio is lacking a little nuance and balance, though (the recentness of the Big T battles makes the description of the battle a little much). You both went in tho
    test
  14. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

im dead serious bro i appreciate the work you put in, maybe the 10k part wasnt so serious, i would now aim for more than that

i anticipate your advertisement on battle intros to come
    test
  15. TrUbZzZ

TrUbZzZ I Know JewJitsu

I See what you did there
    test
  16. Stock

Stock New Member

oh c'mon... you picked arguably one of his worst quotes.
    test
  17. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

yeah im not feelin the quote selection on alot of these either!
    (dizasters too)
    otherwise its amazing

shoulda used FUCK THE BULLSHIT, THEY GON HYPE HIM UP LIKE HE TOUGH, HELL RHYME HOLLOW WITH SWALLOW AND THEYLL BE LIKE...WOOOOOOOOO HOW DOES HE WRITE THIS STUFF
    test
  18. gregrieke20

By all means, suggest others. Was going to go with the one that ended with "nigga that's da don's shit"...but I felt you'd have to be a fairly big fan to "get" that one. I was also thinking about the scheme that ended with "I did it" against Aye Verb...that would work for both casual and hardcore fans alike.

Just whatever quotes you suggest, be sure they are 4-bar schemes, as that is what I have the layout set up for.
    test
  19. gregrieke20

Yea, diz said he loved the bio and illustration, but gave me a new quote to change it to. I had a sort of trial spread for Organik, and he also wondered if I could change his quote, lol. I'm not sold on all the quotes, suggest any you'd like.

The only stipulations are that they be a 4-bar scheme, and they aren't too "in-depth" so the casual fan won't get it or whatever.
    test
  20. gregrieke20

Not with those arms!...thanks drew, its appreciated
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.