50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Eyedea

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Eyedea's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1239826-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-mc-juice.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1250506-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-swann.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...atest-battlers-all-time-busy-bee-starski.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...greatest-battlers-all-time-hollow-da-don.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1261768-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-saurus.html

[​IMG]
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 2
    test
  2. gregrieke20

If you listen closely, you can hear the shit talk. Just before the final round in the epic 1999 Scribble Jam finals, California legend P.E.A.C.E goads the skinny kid standing across from him. "Come hard," he taunts, "Come hard, you're losing." Of course, there's no way the West Coast veteran could have known what was about to happen. But based on the next thirty seconds of fire that spewed from his opponent Eyedea's mouth, in retrospect, he probably wishes he hadn't said anything. It's as close to a defining moment as can be found when reviewing the career of the fiendishly talented Rhymesayers representative, a career tragically cut short by a mind that always seemed to move too fast for this world.

Growing up in Minnesota, Eyedea showed innate skills for the craft of freestyling from a young age. He began battling at the age of 16, tearing apart local competitions and earning the respect of his state's top dogs. His coming out party was the aforementioned Scribble Jam tournament in 1999, when he effortlessly ripped through the competition on the way to becoming the second youngest MC to ever triumph on the Scribble stage. The process seemed easy for Eyedea, his rhymes staying glued to the beat, his punches clicking along with perfect progression and his rounds always ending with a vicious closer. Put simply, the kid was built to battle rap.

The victory would be the beginning of an impressive streak for a young MC. In early 2000, Eyedea dominated at Rocksteady in New York, besting East Coast legends such as Pack FM and Immortal Technique. Later that year, he went on to win the Blaze Battles by defeating New Yorker, Shells, in his hometown. Eyedea returned to Scribble as a 19 year old in possession of three of the biggest battling titles in America; it was there that his run would end, losing to his close friend Brother Ali in one of the most popular Scribble battles ever.

Soon after, Eyedea turned his focus to music, teaming up with DJ Abilities to create an eclectic, vulnerable form of hip hop that allowed access to the deepest recesses of his mind. The man who was the epitome of confidence on stage, calmly standing with his arms crossed while his mind furiously pieced together buck shot battle rhymes, showed that same frantic pace on wax turned decidedly inward when given time to develop.

While his musical career saw him gain a devoted following and critical recognition, Eyedea was never able to translate his immense creative potential into mainstream success. In October of 2010, he was found dead by his mother in what was ruled an accidental opiate overdose, an unfortunate end to what was still a young and promising life. But despite his struggles, for his oldest fans, the lasting image that remains is of Eyedea as a battle rapper, a smirking kid staring down legends and picking apart MCs like it was child's play.
    test
  3. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

Great read. Saddening though.
    test
  4. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

I know that we joke around about YouTube comments a lot on this board, but when I was writing this bio I read this, the highest rated comment on the Eyedea vs. PEACE battle, that I thought was quite poignant:

"I've been a fan way before the tragedy. Saw him perform twice, luckily. I've always believed Eyedea was something new to hip hop. His delivery was ahead of his time and it's so sad that his talent had to be cut short. E&A complimented eachother so well. And not to mention his freestyle ability.

The 17th was a sad day for hip hop. It truly lost one of the greatest.

rap in paradise mikey, you're finally free."
    - irieMee
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. TurboMikey

TurboMikey Active Member

Another great piece for the book man. This shit is gonna be dope. Props for these.
    test
  6. gregrieke20

Thanks Warlock and TurboMikey. And once again, another great job Joe.
    test
  7. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

great page
    test
  8. OolabaSwa

OolabaSwa Eggs Spumoni

Good stuff. I was really getting into E&A like a week before he passed.
    test
  9. gregrieke20

Thanks fellas.

Also, in the quote where it says "This emcee kills this weak kid", does anyone know if that's what he actually said? I tried rewatching it several times but can't completely make it out. And obviously I'd like to get it correct.
    test
  10. iSick303

iSick303 knew pac, pop

dope shit once again greg
    test
  11. andrewins

andrewins Well-Known Member

test
  12. gregrieke20

Thanks. Its definitely appreciated.
    test
  13. GRANDPA JOE

GRANDPA JOE New Member

reading this makes me feel like brother ali should be on this list for fucking tearing him up haha.

really great stuff.
    test
  14. blackout805

blackout805 Member

hey here's some facts:

-Rocksteady was before Scribble JAm 99 (per Sage Francis's euology for Eyedea)

-Scribble Jam 2000 happened before Blaze Battle which was November of 2000

so Eyedea ended his battling career on a winning note (infront of KRS One)
    test
  15. blackout805

blackout805 Member

and PEACE actually said "come hard or lose it"
    test
  16. Ribo Nuke

Ribo Nuke Audiodidact

this was really good, good writing, picture. dope.
    test
  17. Judgekure

Judgekure 48÷2(9+3)=288 tbh

Yeah, If you know anything about the history of Battle rap...Eyedea WAS Battle rap from 1999-2000. Dude won every major event of his time before he was 18.
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Thanks for the compliments from everyone. Thanks for this as well. I will make the appropriate changes, this is a huge help. Appreciate it.
    test
  19. pill grim

pill grim CHRONNIE SPARKO

phenomenal. great commemoration.
    Posted via mobile device... from my mobile home.
    test
  20. LucianoCrakk

LucianoCrakk New Member

pause
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.