50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Classic Battles

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

This will be another section of the 50 greatest battle rappers of all-time book that notes some of the classic/greatest battles of all-time. After many people had suggested we put in a section on "big battles" or "rivalries" or things along those lines, I thought this was a good idea.

Mookie Wilson will be writing this section, and though he hasn't gotten around to it yet, lol, he seems excited, and i trust he'll do a great job. Also I know there hasn't been much of the book posted as of late, but for those curious there has been a ton more that has been completed, I've just chose not to post it as I don't want to just post the entire thing.

This section will feature 14 battles (I know its an strange number, but its what works best for the layout). The 14 battles are listed below (4 from the 80s, 4 from the 90s, and 6 from the 2000s), if anyone has any suggestions on which should and shouldn't be in, please let me know. Thanks, all the help thus far has been huge. Also below is some of the artwork that will be in this section.

1980s
    Busy Bee vs. Kool Moe Dee, 1982
    Roxanne Shante vs. Busy Bee, 1985
    Grandmaster Caz vs. Melle Mel, 1987
    Percee P vs. Lord Finesse, 1989

1990s
    Hieroglyphics vs. Hobo Junction, 1994
    Juice vs. Supernatural, 1995
    Eminem vs. Juice, 1997
    Eyedea vs. Peace, 1999

2000s
    Murda Mook vs. Loaded Lux, 2003
    TheSaurus vs. Justice, 2005
    Serius Jones vs. Murda Mook, 2006
    Math Hoffa vs. Iron Solomon, 2007
    Dumbfoundead vs. Tantrum, 2008
    TheSaurus vs. Illmaculate, 2009

[​IMG]

Busy Bee vs Roxanne Shante, New Music Seminar, 1985

[​IMG]

Eyedea vs. Peace, Scribble Jam, 1999

[​IMG]

Serius Jones vs. Murda Mook, Smack DVD, 2006

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. krayziebone1999

krayziebone1999 Well-Known Member

sick.. i like the eyedea one the best.

i think the wrc 06 finals are good enough to be in there.
    franco vs nocan in the scribble finals was epic too.
    test
  3. IAmMrGetItDone

IAmMrGetItDone Mr. Get It Done

mook vs jae millz??
    test
  4. andrewins

andrewins Well-Known Member

wow these are incredible. great job..
    test
  5. California Kid

California Kid Well-Known Member

that mook pic doesnt look like him at all..
    good stuff tho
    test
  6. gregrieke20

Thanks bro.

I definitely agree with the wrc 06 finals. I had already thought of including it, I think possibly the only thing holding me back was having 3 Saurus battles (not to say he doesn't deserve it). But yea, I also think the poster could come out dope as hell if I incorporated a "vegas" background and US vs. UK theme and shit, so I'm definitely still thinking of putting it on the list.

Agreed that Nocan vs. Franco was epic, idk if it quite makes it though. just short of it i'd say.
    test
  7. ghostofmooks

ghostofmooks 905

dont worry greg. just giving it the proper attention it deserves.

layout looks incredible as usual.
    test
  8. gregrieke20

I loved mook vs. millz. Definitely one of my favorite battles, but idk if it was as good as mook/lux or mook/jones, and it doesn't have the same sort of "historic" backstory. Good suggestion though.
    test
  9. mdk

mdk i dump and i sprout

Shoutouts to that mook picture looking like ph
    test
  10. chrishansen

chrishansen Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh the classic match featuring Hobo Junction almost forgot about that one gregreeks thanks for the reminder
    test
  11. savagerapper

savagerapper www.rapisraw.com

damn@them battles from the 80's
    test
  12. IronsWrittens

IronsWrittens Well-Known Member

mosh jelton vs johnny storm you forgot
    test
  13. gregrieke20

lol, agreed it needs some work. It wasn't the greatest pic to work with, and it was difficult finding one large enough where he was looking the direction/at that angle. I was definitely going to work on it more, and it should be fine by the time its done.
    test
  14. gregrieke20

yea, no problem man, and thanks again.
    test
  15. Ayem

Ayem I Heart Myself

may get crucified for this, but what about locksmith vs reign man since that was a worldwide type mainstream event on mtv.. not much i can remember before that (maybe when blaze battles was on hbo or showtime or whatever)

the battle itself wasn't the best ever, but it was the finals in a battle that got a ton of tv time
    test
  16. GzUpHozDwn

GzUpHozDwn New Member

con vs ars

the most viewed battle in either gt, url or kotd
    test
  17. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

damn. would have loved to write some of these.
    test
  18. gregrieke20

I think its a good suggestion. Especially cuz i wanted the section to be good battles in terms of skill level, but also like "historic" battles which of course Lock vs. Reignman was, because of the reasons you've mentioned.

I also like the idea of the battles sort of covering the whole decade, and since that one was in like 2001 it would do a good job of that. I think its dope (for whatever reason) how the 80s ones start with 82 and kind of go all the way up to 89. Whereas the 90s and 2000s ones skip the first couple years. Obviously putting Lock vs. Reign would solve that problem.

All that said, I still think the 2000 battles listed were better and more classic battles.
    test
  19. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

Arsonal vs. Okwerdz

Rex vs. Math

All things considered, I think both of these are significant battles of this era. They may not have had the best performances from battlers on both sides but they were classic matches that meant more beyond just the battle.

I don't know what I'd take out though. Maybe Iron vs. Math?

I used to think Mook vs Lux was more of a classic back in the day but I think now I'd actually prefer Mook vs. Jae Millz if I had to pick one or the other just because it was more heated and debatable imo and (I may need confirmation on this) it was the first battle on Smack.

source:
    XXLMag.com Presents: Top 10 SMACK DVD Moments | XXLMAG.COM

What about classic Fight Klub battles?

I know there were tons but it is always a little hard to consider them due to how they are with their footage. But as far as the premier place to get the high profile exposure, I'd say Fight Klub was that place. Smack was big in the streets but Fight Klub had celeb rapper battles like Remy Ma vs. Lady Luck (I know there had to be other high profile ones but that was one of the only I remember from how hard I remember it was for me to find audio of the battle), it had the Power Summit events that Jin won twice at, battles like Serius vs. Math which was probably crazy but we never got to see, Jin vs. Serius which was a pretty big upset despite Jin not being at his best, plus being on MTV.

Someone has to be able to fill in more battles that might deserve to be in there. I just can't remember many at the moment although that was definitely the place that had lots of exposure as well as credibility at the time.

The first WRC Finals between Possessed/Whashisface vs. Illmac/Saurus was so classic and significant.

Eh, I don't know if any of these deserve a spot but it's just my thoughts.
    test
  20. r00k_is_rap

r00k_is_rap Well-Known Member

No Jin vs pro green or jin vs jones?

I think it should be lux vs mook, jones vs jin, and not have illmac v thesaurus. A person should only have 1 battle from the 2000's just to be fair because there are so many to choose from.

That, or make a 2010's section. In all fairness, battles evolved so much from 2000 compared to 2011.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.